THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Africa and Travel Insurance after a Heart Attack?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa and Travel Insurance after a Heart Attack?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen:

I had a heart attack on the 2nd of May and thanks to a great cardiac team and swift action, the damage is very minimal.

Having said that, I am on a whole concoction of pills for the rest of my life and standing up isn't as easy as it used-to-be.

And last but not least, I have been offered a killer, steal-of-a-deal to go hunting in the RSA for 10 days in September. The only caviet is my wife won't let me go without travel insurance. Having never purchased travel insurance, I am hoping some of you more seasoned veterans of the African hunt can enlighten me as to the cost and companies who provide insurance.

As always, kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NRA has an endorsed plan for emergency help while on an overseas hunting trip. Safari Club probably has one as well.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Global Rescue hands down will even send in an armed team for rescue also. Pick your plan.

https://www.globalrescue.com/

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I use Travel Guard.

There are several threads here on AR concerning this issue, and the comparisons between Travel Guard and Global Rescue. Use the search feature to locate those previous threads.

From the last time we delved into this, it appears that Travel Guard and Global Rescue use the exact same extraction assets from the field in many places; i.e. Zim both use MARS from the field to the local medical facilities.

GR does offer safety rescue as Mike points out above but that isn't part of the basic coverage. You have to add that coverage to the policy at additional costs.

There are pros and cons to each provider. GR has access to physicians at Johns Hopkins, and from what I understand, they often follow up once you've been repatriated. TG appears to be less expensive unless you plan on doing multiple trips per year.

Those two options should give you a start in your research. Enjoy your safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your team clears you, then it is no big deal. There are excellent facilities in RSA if you can get to them. Don't forget, though, that rehab takes some time and you should stay on your regimen (yes, I work in the cardiac field).

Check to make certain there are no interactions between your meds and anti-malarials or anything else you might need to prepare.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Remember the first heart transport was preformed in RSA. Dr. Bernard if I remember correctly. 30 or more years ago.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The treatment here is world class (and probably cheaper than in the US Big Grin). South Africans suffer quite a lot of heart attacks, so people know the drill. There are good private medical facilities all over South Africa.

For your question you might try posting this in the African Travel section.

Oh and I'm pleased you are doing good and still getting on with things like hunting!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a stint in my heart that went with two ballon whatchamacallits, and some lower damage to my heart, and it was a near miss...today I walk and do my exercise and take my pills and will be off of the pills in Sept as I got my body in shape, then I had a tumor removed from my spine, and started all over, before that I crushed my hand in a team roping accident and was in a cast for 6 months...All in all this last year was a poop sandwich but I'm hairing up and healing over and feel great at almost 80..Im roping again and can shoot a gun again, and thats all that counts.

I will keep hunting and roping, its the quality of life not the length that counts, were all gonna croak at some point and shaving off a year or two by sitting on ones butt isn't my idea of living.

Go on your hunt, get Global Rescue to stand by and good luck, injoy what you have, you will never regret it. I wish you only the best.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roping at 80? Yikes. Makes me feel like a pussy at 59.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your warm replies.

I will look into the various agencies recomended.

My doctors have given me clearance to travel and hunt and once the insurance is secured, I am going to Africa.

Finally, a dream come true.

I will keep you posted.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions