THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    double shotgun to double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

double shotgun to double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
I was looking into converting a double shotgun, 12ga, into a pistol caliber double rifle. I thought I'd all the experts on the matter. Can it be done safely, has it been done and documented the conversion?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do some research here and you will see that talked about quite a bit. Yes, it can be done, safely. Get the book, "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions" by Brown. That will show you how it can be done. You will need a lathe and mill and lots of skill and patience. Other than that, it is just skill and patience. One point for you however, is that by using a 12 ga for a pistol round will result in a DR much heavier than necessary. Start with a 20 or 28 ga for that.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I just did, the posts I found were regarding sleeved barrels. I am speaking in terms of new barrels with no sleeves.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well aren't you effectively making a new set of barrels for a gun, just like any other maker ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, not sleeved barrels; Ellis Brown's book shows how to install barrels in the existing monoblock or make a new monoblock. 505; yes, you have to contour your barrels and install them into your monoblock. OR, contour them and solder on a shoe lump, which is harder for an amateur to do safely. Here is a pic of one I did last year; still have not finished it yet due to other projects in the way. You can see the new barrels and monoblock, both threaded.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Bingo. That's the visual aid I needed. Now the mono block is the the thread barrel stubs, correct? And the rib, or did yours not have one.

That's a major help. Adam

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Do some research here and you will see that talked about quite a bit. Yes, it can be done, safely.

DPCD,
With all due respect, lets find out what pistol cartridge Adam has in mind. A .500 S&W for example has a max working pressure of 60,000 PSI. This is too much for a shotgun action. I do agree with you that Ellis's book is a good read and will give Adam a lot of insight into the project he is considering.

Adam,
What cartridge are you considering for this rifle? I would not consider anything over 40,000 PSI. Action choice is very critical. Double Purdey underbites and a third fastner are a must, I would also like to see it have bolsters.
A new barrel set can easily be fabricated. Most people prefer sleeving because this saves a lot of labor. Barrel sets can be made in three ways. Shoe lump, chopper lump or monoblocked. Monoblock or shoe lumps being the least expensive and your best choices. Here is a link showing these different construction methods. (If I can do it right)
Lumps
One other thing to keep in mind. A shotgun buttstock is not always ideal for a rifle. If you have not already, you may want to consider re-stocking it as well. The existing forend will most likely not match the contours of the new barrel set either.
Thanks

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, don't use the 500 S&W. I made that rib; shotguns don't have quarter ribs for scope mounts, usually. I don't think that with a modern shotgun frame that the third fastener or bolsters are needed; Baikals are a good example. Pistol cartridges just don't put much strain on gun frames. I don't build any DR with a cartridge over 40k psi anyway and I don't recommend it regardless of which frame you use. More important is the firing pin; make sure it is small and preferably bushed if you go over about 30k psi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More power to you if you want to build a double but at the prices these days for nice doubles I'd just buy one. I'm sure you will come out cheaper and with a lot less headaches.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; it should only be done as a hobby and if you do all the work yourself. There is no point in paying for something that will never be worth anything once you are done. Unless you become a big name maker, in which case it might.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
This is a brainstorm between myself and a friend. Mainly mine, 44mag, I'll be operating the mill, lathe , and tools.

I can't even afford to put a down payment on a true double, don't want to either.I want it to prove I can do it and to have something play with in my time off.

So no, the 500 isn't on the menu.

Adam

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
This is a brainstorm between myself and a friend. Mainly mine, 44mag, I'll be operating the mill, lathe , and tools.

I can't even afford to put a down payment on a true double, doubt want to either.I want it to prove I can do it and to have something play with in my time off.

So no, the 500 isn't on the menu.

Adam

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then by all means, do it. Let me know and I will send you a pic of my regulating fixture. I mean soldering; whilst regulating the fixture is you.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
DPCD, gracias.

This protect is underway, shotgun purchased, blanks purchased, brainstorming begun. I'm looking for the books recommended. I've also purchased wood to build the stock. So now all I need is time.....

Adam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a friendly little note for those of you who don't know. Dirk, (h2oboy) is a highly skilled professional gunsmith and double rifle builder. So if you are going to take bets on who knows the trade and who knows what the deal is on building a double rifle, as he's built dozens if not hundreds of them over the years.

That's the guy I'd be taking advice from when it comes to safety, durability and craftsmanship in regards to a double rifle build.