THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Seeking experienced opinions of the Heym PH model double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking experienced opinions of the Heym PH model double
 Login/Join

Picture of Anbessa Gedai
posted
I'm giving serious thought (hell it HAS to be serious given what a good double costs now a days!) to ordering a new HEYM PH model double in 500 N.E. Would appreciate any experienced opinions regarding the HEYM big bore double; quality, reliability, durability, etc. Or on the other hand any known problems, faults, weak points?? Anyone on the Forum having first hand experience or reliable reports from hunting buddies, PH's, etc. would much appreciate your inputs / discussion . . . thanks

"Africaphile of note"
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with the Heym but the guys at Champlin Firearms speak very highly of them and they should know.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Ivan Carter, a member here, shoots a Heym. Perhaps he could offer some insight.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are good rifles i have shoot a few or them. I'm ging to be ordering a bradshaw double soon check Balieys work out on this forum

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who shoots a Heym double loves it. I think personal preference comes into play here. The Heym is without question a superb rifle. I shoot Searcy doubles, (have 3 of them) and I love them. They are made well, made in America, and are superbly accurate. I once asked Butch what double he would recommend next to his, and Butch said he would recommend a Heym. That is a pretty strong endorsement in my opinion.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym .500 PH. Very nice rifle. I used it in June to shoot two elephant, a buffalo and a hippo. Accurate and reliable. Mine is being returned to me this week from JJ at Champlins where I had a red dot sight installed on it.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Heyms and I really like them. They are accurate, well-balanced, and weight proportionate for the caliber.

I've also shot a lot of Merkels, and they are also very accurate and are also well-balanced, plus for alot less money you can get a gun with nice engraving and usually very good wood.

$15,000 for the Heym, or $10,000 for the Merkel. I can buy another very nice rifle for the $5000 difference.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to throw a grenade. Comparing a Merkel to a Heym is like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Yes, they are both cars, yes, they will both get you from A to B, but there are significant differences between the two. Whether the differences, in an individual's opinion, are worth the difference in price is a judgment each person must make but the two rifles are not comparable in fit, finish, durabililty and quality to me (and I have owned both).

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I've shot Heyms and I really like them. They are accurate, well-balanced, and weight proportionate for the caliber.

I've also shot a lot of Merkels, and they are also very accurate and are also well-balanced, plus for alot less money you can get a gun with nice engraving and usually very good wood.

$15,000 for the Heym, or $10,000 for the Merkel. I can buy another very nice rifle for the $5000 difference.

Sorry if I am wrong here, but don't you sell Merkels?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:

Sorry if I am wrong here, but don't you sell Merkels?

I do sell Merkels and I have a Heym for sale as well. I like both guns alot. I just don't see the difference in quality between the two. I have a Heym .375 DR that weighs only 8.5 lbs and shoots fantastic. And at the used price of $10,500, it's priced where it should be. Not sure I could justify $16,000 that it would cost for a new one just like it. I find that used Merkels don't depreciate as much in price as quickly.

I like both rifles and am happy to sell both. I just don't understand the 5-6 grand difference.

Not trying to sell anyone a gun here, just stating my honest feelings having shot and hunted with both.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Let me be the first to throw a grenade. Comparing a Merkel to a Heym is like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Yes, they are both cars, yes, they will both get you from A to B, but there are significant differences between the two. Whether the differences, in an individual's opinion, are worth the difference in price is a judgment each person must make but the two rifles are not comparable in fit, finish, durabililty and quality to me (and I have owned both).

Totally agree. Merkel's don't have the fit, finish, balance, etc to compare to the Heym. Heyms are also made to fit. And yes I do have both. Merkels are great for what they are and are priced right. But no where close to a Heym.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Heym 88B in .470 NE and once owned a Merkel in 470 NE. I don't feel the Merkel was nearly as well balanced as the Heym, however it was very accurate and tight. My Heym was not fitted to me but it comes up just like a custom double and it feels perfectly balanced. I think it is the closest you will come to custom without actually ordering custom. When I hunt dangerous game with this rifle it feels like part of me and it gives me the feeling of supreme confidence

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The person who posted this topic did not ask about Merkels, he asked about Heyms. Not sure why you keep on bringing up Merkels.

This is what is standard on the Heym PH model:

24" Krupp Steel, Hammer-Forged Barrels
(barrel lengths up to 26" availible)
> Triple lock-up, with double lugs and greener cross-bolt
> Articulated (hinged) Front Trigger
> Cocking Indicators
> Intercepting sears
> Ejectors
> Stocked to customer's dimensions
> Select European walnut (Upgrades Available)
> Bolstered Frame
> Weight: 9.0 lbs - 10.5 lbs

Heym give's you the option to pick out the stock blank yourself as well as build it left handed for no extra charge.

They are sort of unique as far as their price and standard features. More features but at a higher cost. Are they worth it? Only you can decide. Another nice feature is their life time warranty and if you ever need repairs (outside of barrel replacements) everything is handled by Champlins/JJ so it does not need to leave the country to be fixed.

Would like to add they are in the process of changing over the PH to a new "style" of rifle. Chris had an example on here a couple of months ago. Convinced me to order a 450/400 PH model.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Totally agree. Merkel's don't have the fit, finish, balance, etc to compare to the Heym. Heyms are also made to fit. And yes I do have both. Merkels are great for what they are and are priced right. But no where close to a Heym.

This is one of those occasions where we must agree to disagree.

I have compared them in all grades, and I just don't see the price difference. But that's me.

I personally like the stocks on the Heyms better, but not $5000 worth better. The engraving on the base model Heyms are minimal and nothiing on the PH. I don't always like the quality of engraving on the Merkels, especially Silke Henke, but otherwise, it's pretty good.

I've also shot both guns, and they are equally accurate and functional, and the ejectors on both brands in the guns I've shot have functioned perfectly.

Wood upgrades may be needed for both brands if you want a guaranteed nice piece, but with both brands sometimes you get lucky.

Because the Merkels tend to have stocks that more resemble English styles, that is, a shotgun profile, they tend to have more felt recoil. Heym has designed their stocks with a classic look, but with a straighter profile, less drop.

Both guns are hand finished and fitted, so both have very tight tolerances.

I have a Merkel sidelock DR and two Sauer 202's with Zeiss optics and still have less money invested than one Heym PH model. Oh, I just did the math, and add my Merkel 147SSL sidelock 12 gauge, and I'm still at the same price as a Heym 88B.

I'll sacrifice what ever little difference there is between the two DR's for all the others. I have a limited budget and do the best I can with what I have.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
You may be correct in not being able to "see" the difference. The Heym is fitted with intercepting sears. This safety feature is not found on most entry level doubles and generally costs around $2500 when you can add it as an option.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two .500 NE doubles, one of which is a Heym PH purchased new from Heym. Mine has 26" barrels which I prefer. I think it is a very good utility double, made for using right from the start as it handles and points well, is accurate and reliable generally. I added weight to the stock of mine because it was too light at 10 1/2 pounds, in my opinion.

My other .500 NE 3" is a William Evans and it weighs 12 pounds 4 ozs. I do like the feel of this London made rifle better, but that's just me. It fits a little better and it has saved my life on multiple occasions with elephant and other beasts, thus an endearing trust factor.

I also enlarged the front bead on my Heym .500 because I use it primarily for elephant, close, and I like what that bigger front bead looks like on an elephant's head. Again, personal preference.

If the Heym fits you, which is the most important issue, you should find no objective faults. It is a fine firearm and will serve you well in the field.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym 88B in .400 Jeffery. It balances well, far better than the Merkels or K-guns that I handled (these were really muzzle-heavy), and is a pleasure to shoot due to the straighter comb.

The intercepting sears are one of the "unseen" features that have their importance if you do actually carry your gun loaded in the bush, but it's mostly an additional safety feature - one can live without it.

Front sights can be changed easily, as standard Recknagel slide-in sights fit the dovetail.

Generally speaking, there is more to a Heym than "stick two rifle barrels on an action" and do a good machining and fitting job: other rifles are made with good steel and great skills too, but this one gets closer to what the good English double makers have achieved in terms of building rifles that fit the job and the shooter.

A good tool, certainly more expensive than some, but the differences are there - and when you carry your rifle from dawn to night in the bush, the small differences make all the difference.

One can compare various rifles side-by-side and nitpick on this or that, but in the end it's the sum total of everything that makes a good rifle. The Heym just "feels" right.

That's probably why so many PHs opt for Heym.

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Anbessa Gedai
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the discussion, all most interesting and as this will be my first double . . most useful

"Africaphile of note"
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anabessa,

Most of us have been where you currently are in the quest for the first (or "the") double rifle. Opinions vary but, in the end the rifle that works well for one person may not work so well for another.

As you and others noted, the high price of a Heym DR often comes at the cost of trophy fees or that dream Safari. A valid question for many is: "Would I rather go on safari with a bolt action rifle, or stay CONUS and dream while holding my <insert brand here> double rifle in front of a nice fire in the fireplace in our home."

Best Regards,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote