THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A few questions about this William Evans double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few questions about this William Evans double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have first option to buy this William Evans underlever double rifle.
I have attached some photos with a few questions about it.
Overall, it appears to be in pretty good condition, the checkering doesn't match on the butt to the forend.
The barrels are nice, a very slight cloudy look, but the rifling is clear and sharp, no pitting of any sort.
There is the usual wear and tear you would expect on it.
I don't know much about double rifles, this potentially being my first one.
As far as I can make out, it is a 500 Nitro 3", but the flats are marked 500 EX, then 136-340.
I'm assuming the 340 is grain weight for projectile, but can't make head or tail of the "136"?
Can someone please have a look at these photos and tell me what I've got.
Serial number is 1865.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice but very worn old double mate, can't help with any info except contact Cal papas on this forum as he's got the most info on this ventage type of rifle or 505 (Nigel Minton) who is a big game rifle guy in Aussie that could point you in the right direction Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the markings on the flats it appears to be a .500 Black Powder Express. 136 would be the charge weight in grains of black powder and 340 would be the projectile weight in grains.

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Underlever hammer rifles are a great first (or only) rifle to choose. From what little can be seen it appears that the fore end may be a restock. As Zhaba and Hollis state it is a well worn .500 BPE but should be a good shooter if priced accordingly. You may want to work up a Nitro-For-Black load with 4198 or try loading black with a drop-tube and card wad. Would be a fun gun for thin skin game or plinking. Molds are available to cast 340 grain projectiles. Good luck with the purchase.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The above gents are correct. 136 grains is 5-drams of Curtis and Harvey's no 6 black powder and the paper patched bullet weighs 340 grains. I have not seen earlier bpe rifles with the powder charge and bullet weight on the flats so I guessed this is a later bpe rifle. I checked the number records and they show your rifle was made in 1900. The 39 is he bore size in shotgun terminology--i.e. 39 balls to the pound. Nice file curt rib. In the past I have seen and owned bpe rifles where the size of the checkering did not match. I could not tell if a restock unless photos were up close and more clear.
Good lick with your rifle.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pick up.

Concur with what has already been written.

Also looks to have rebounding hammers which
is good IMHO.

Plenty of people in Qld who can help you out
if you don't know where to start. PM me if you
need any directions as to who to see.

If you aren't into Black powder, as someone has mentioned,
you should try to shoot light "Nitro for Black" in it.
Can make life a bit easier and cleaner !!!

Have fun shooting it.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The nitro for black load that has been used in countless rifles is 55 grains of IMR 4198 and a 440-grain bullet. Regulates in every rifle I've seen or shot.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I thank you for your replies, exactly the information I needed.
Would $2K be somewhere near the money for this one?
I haven't bought it yet...

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H

Buy it. That is a good price.

PM sent with some other advice.

Good luck.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
On this side of the waters that'd be a very good price for the buyer.

Make sure that it is tight and on face. That'd be fixable but would add to the overall cost.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I think the 39 mark is original and as Cal stated is correct for a 500. Brown's serial number table for William Evans shows 1888 for this number and would match the 39 mark in use at this time. I suspect the 500 EX and the 136 and 340 marks were done at a later.

If you end up getting it please let us know how she shoots.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H_Mad:
If you don't I would be happy to. That is a good price, considering on face and all other descriptions accurate. You'll have a great time with the load Cal gave you.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
2K! Serious? I've sold .500s fro 8500 to 13,500. Buy it---NOW!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy that sight unseen.
This minute, no hesitation.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I took everyone's advice and bought the William Evans.
Got to the range yesterday for the first time with it, and here's how it went.
Load was 57 grains of AR 2207 (H4198), Kynoch foam wad and a 440 grain Woodleigh.

The first target was offhand at 25M, just to see what happened.

This target at 50M was shot from a bench.
Very hot here yesterday at the range, got to 42.5 C, so didn't get to chronograph it yet.
I'm rather pleased about how it performed, I might try another 1/2 or full grain of powder to see if the groups tighten up anymore.
Extraction was easy, cases fell out with a slight tilt upwards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You are dialed in without doubt! Congratulations! tu2

Now go forth and burn powder!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
What a great thread, but there's something missing!

A member had a question. He asked for advice and in response, experienced folks here gave great info on the value of the rifle and even suggested some loads to make checking regulation easier.

While the pictures of the targets were nice, where is the picture of the huge smile on the new owner. I'll bet he hasn't quit grinning yet!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding purchase and results!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the old English doubles. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are are real targets?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit... Forgot ur meds again? Lots of neuroleptics that can aid you with your paranoia. Better off not believing everyone but yourself is a liar!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Where are are real targets?

I'm guessing you're more used to seeing DR targets that look like a shotgun pattern?

Ugh...the French!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good shooting; I am sure you realize this is not a 500 Nitro Express and should not be called one ( your targets are marked as such). I am always afraid someone, perhaps some future owner, or the owner of another Black Powder Express rifle, will stuff some Hornady 500 NE ammo in it, and the rifle will not be happy if that happens. Neither will the shooter.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, Thank you, but I'm not sure anyone or AR would ever want or like to see my ugly mug, let me tell you.
But Yes, the grin still hasn't gone.

DPCD, that is a very good point, an remiss of me, have now changed the targets to read 500 BPE.
I'm more than happy shooting a NFB load, and soon Blackpowder from it, wouldn't ever consider hurting the old girl.
It weighs 9lb exactly, in fact I doubt it could be more exact, obviously made for the customers requested weight.
With a steel buttplate, I don't think a Hornady factory would be pleasant.

And Shootaway... Thank you for reading the thread, and I can vouch they are the real targets, as can 3 others that were at the range on Sunday.

DC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great find, and on your good results. Those old BPE are great fun,and great for hunting appropriate sized animals. Think you got some great advice from some members here to dial it in that quickly.
Enjoy your new rifle!
Larry beer

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Sh-thead. I almost just posted congrats on your new rifle. Glad I didn't bother. You really take the cake. Roll Eyes

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle and good shooting.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
While the pictures of the targets were nice, where is the picture of the huge smile on the new owner. I'll bet he hasn't quit grinning yet!
I'll post it!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez you're a cheeky bugger Matt, where did you get my photo from !!!

DC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&H_Mad:

DC

I thought it was a photo of Shootaway...

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fo Fiddy NE:
quote:
Originally posted by H&H_Mad:

DC

I thought it was a photo of Shootaway...

Shithispants isn't nearly that dignified looking!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got to the range yesterday for the first time with it, and here's how it went.

And why not. Seeing as England didn't make the cricket extend to much past lunchtime!

Worst attitude of any England side I have known for years. Bill Lawry had it about right.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on real beauty!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
You will have alot of fun with that great looking rifle! I love the hammer look, W.E. name and so on.
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote