THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    It'll be here next week .....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It'll be here next week .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Searcy Classic 450/.400 that I ordered Dec. 2005 will be here next Thursday ....... obviously I'm getting excited. Butch said today that it'll be shipped next Tuesday, right after he shoots it for the last time to make sure the final touches didn't change the way it shoots. Also, I've already paid a deposit on the next Searcy rifle (a .577) that he promises I'll have in time for a buffalo hunt in Tanzania Oct. 2008. Life is great !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... congratulations! Enjoy the fun.

Gonna be able to get it together in time for the Australia hunt?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Dang! I ordered mine only a few minutes after you. I have hope! The barrels and wood were sent today from North Dakota to Boron for final finish. Maybe two weeks before shipping?

And the lease on the Cogswell & Harrison .375 2.5" has expired (or didn't you read the fine print?).

I did get the next best thing to the C&H today. It's a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74... a little more powerful and it swings almost as well. It's so light that you feel like you have a .410 in your hands.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
No, it won't go to Australia; I had to submit my gun permit at the end of February, so it didn't make it. Also, my PH in Australia said the shots could be as far as 100 yards, so instead of taking my .470, I opted to take a .458 Lott (Ruger) that is scoped and puts the groups at 1 3/4" at that distance (bullets touching at 50 yds.).

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Good luck with that rifle and I can tell you that 577 will really thump a buf...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you sir!!! having taken delivery of my own Searcy 450/400 (PH model) this past october, i can relate to your excitement. i've really been enjoying mine. what model is your 577 going to be?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Do any of you guys want me to go up to Butch's and take some pictures or something? I'm only about an hour and a half from Boron and Butch has always been accomodating when I stop by.

I don't know if I can make it up on Tuesday but if I do I promise I won't shoot your rifle Frank.

Judge when yours gets there I can take some pictures of it 'in the rough' if you like.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the .577 boxlock; I had the choice of case-colored or stainless, & I choose the stainless (Searcy recommended it saying it was more durable for a rifle that was going to be used for hunting, not just collecting).

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Classic in .450/.400 3" and case hardened/colored with a little scroll engraving.

I appreciate the offer for pictures, but don't go just for that!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Mine is a Classic in .450/.400 3" and case hardened/colored with a little scroll engraving.

I appreciate the offer for pictures, but don't go just for that!

My company owns a power plant in Boron and the plant manager is a good friend of mine, so I'm always looking for an excuse to go visit him.

I'll see what I can arrange.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote