THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Karl hauptman ferlarch cal 475 No2 Nitro Express
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karl hauptman ferlarch cal 475 No2 Nitro Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted
Hi

This gun has been on the gun shelf for a while now, in a store in Norway.

its a karl hauptman ferlarch cal 475 3 1/2 No 2 NE.

the price is 11 000 dollars.

what do think?

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

Posts: 39 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What do I think . . . I think it is good that I do not live in Norway or I would be $11,000 poorer! Frowner

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm right behind you MJ...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
it looks to be a bargain at that price - good thing I am gun poor right now!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I am with Jines on that one...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want it! Might be a few Krones in it for you :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Especially if those are 26/28" barrels. Cool

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, if it was on face and the bores at least good I would probably buy it if I saw it. For $11K it sounds good, especially in such a cool cartridge. Is it a boxlock with sideplates?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, unless those pinheads in the sideplates are fakes, it looks like a true sidelock.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
Especially if those are 26/28" barrels. Cool

Definitely looks like they are at least 26". I am not terribly keen on the oversized plastic trigger guard, but I could learn to overlook that for sure.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beauty!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Not many plated box locks had the pins.
I will wager the trigger guard is horn, not plastic.
It's not English or Scottish but looks to be a nice rifle and at 11K very reasonably priced.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good call on the horn versus plastic.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
The gun is a sidelock, i havet sendt a e-mail to the gun store for Moore info, the gun har
Not been used much.

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi fellas,

Do not want to steel the thread from Andreas, but in fact the price is USD 10.000,- with todays exchange rate NOK v USD. The dealer just announced it for NOK 65.000,- and I think it is a great possibility to lower that price somewhat. The rifle has been for sale for more than 2 years and no one wants to buy it. The rifle has been owned by a Norwegian hunter that have hunted the Big 5 but did not want the rifle for some reason.

Mike, the trigger guard is not plastic - it is steel as far as I could feel ! I have had this rifle in my hands as I visited the dealer before ordering a new Verney Carron 450 NE Smiler

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So Morten, for $10,000, maybe less, what is the issue with the rifle that keeps it from selling?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I would say that even though it's from Ferlach, it's a relatively unknown maker and a very scarce caliber. Aesthethically, it's a typical germanic (puke) style, but I would buy it in a second. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
So Morten, for $10,000, maybe less, what is the issue with the rifle that keeps it from selling?

Mike, honestly I do not know, but the market for such rifles is at a minimum here in Norway. 99,99% of Norwegian hunters hunt with bolt action rifles and there is no double rifle society in Norway as far as I have been able to find out. It is like Jorge says; it is a unknown maker for most hunters and the ammo is also hard to get. I think it is just Kynoch making them even though it should not be any problem reloading this caliber.

In general double rifles are seldom used for big game hunting in Norway and that caliber is certainly not common. You will find some Merkel and Krieghoff doubles and almost 99% of them are 470 NE bought to be used on that once in a life time safari in Africa and then sold - if they can find a buyer.

Morten

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Morten,

Seriously, ask them if they would consider exporting the rifle to the US. At $10,000 for a sidelock double in .475 #2, assuming the rifle is mechanically sound and the bores are good, that is a very good price.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny looking trigger guard.I wonder if that is original?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not that uncommon on German guns, particularly shotguns. As I recall horn trigger guards and horn butt plates were generally regarded as one of the hallmarks of better quality weapons. I think Galazan's still sells replace horn trigger guards.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't AR nice....I learn something everyday!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
Hehe would by it if i could, but i havet reached the limit of Guns
I am allowed to own. but im afraid it would Just sitt in my gun cabinet,
As my 500 and 458... Mostly 308 and 9,3x62 that i take with me on Hunt.

But a very spesial and Nice gun, if i was the seller, i would contact Holts and have
It sold on auction in London.

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Andreas or Morten,

If you have the contact information for the gun store that is selling the rifle, please PM me with that information. Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Andreas or Morten,

If you have the contact information for the gun store that is selling the rifle, please PM me with that information. Thanks.

Mike,

I send you an email as we have emailed before.

Morten

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
You might check the weight. I've handled a few Austrian doubles that were light for caliber.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planned on buying it but after meeting the seller and handling it, I redecided. The stock has been modified, the foreend has been cut down amatourishly (thinned and schnabel removed), seller did not know if it was .488 or .483, I asked him to slug the bores to find out, he then told me he thought it would be too much trouble selling it to me. Guess I asked too many questions and the gun is suited for anon shooting collector's (of the unoriginal) shelf. Except for the stock and the HORN trigger guard, the gun looks ok. It is a triple kocking kernel system by the way, looks a little over engineered... I suspect something fishy and would reccomend to stay clear...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norsk, thanks for the update....hard to determine condition from a couple thousand miles away :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like light for caliber!

Where is this rifle, Oslo? I will be in Norway in a couple of weeks I'd like to take a look at it if I'm close.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
1hour drive from Oslo Smiler
Take a cab hehehehe. I live on the west Coast, so i am 7hours away.

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be near Kristensund on the west coast. I see hehehe is still a long ways from where I will be.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is located approx 100 km west of Oslo. It is a 60 km drive from where I live and will take me about 45-50 minutes to drive there.

Sam - maybe you could bring a Heym for sale with a good discount ? Wink I bet Chris is tempting you guys with new wonderful Heyms all the time and there is some you need to get rid of ?? Big Grin

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morten,

I could bring my VC 577 at a good price but you guys can't own anything bigger than a 470 I think.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

wrong!! i have 500NE Wink

depends where you live in the country. from police district. i know there is a guy that have a 600NE in my area.

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, you are correct in a way and Andreas is correct in a way. Today I do not think anyone in Norway will be allowed to buy anything bigger than 500. At the same time many police Districts, especially around Oslo where I live, deny hunters to buy even the 500. I was denied to have a License for a 500. In the western parts of Norway they are allowed by police. The reason is that some police districts make their own understanding of the regulations as there is no law saying something about the 500 caliber except one statement about a 500 military sniper rifle. This statement seem to be the problem. Further, the police district I am connected to just have non hunting women as officials... they simply will not understand anything about stopping power, sectional density etc etc.. Beats me !

I have sent you an PM Sam.

Morten

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The reason I had asked about if it was a boxlock with side plates (even though it has pins), a few years back a rifle with just this same description was discussed on another forum, Nitro Express:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=159977&an=0&page=14.

Anyway, it was described as a boxlock with side plates back then.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the very same rifle !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, you are one astute SOB :-)