Notify
Tools

RELOADING for the 470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Gents,

I have just put a Searcy on order. SO now I am in the market for some reloading gear as I plan to reload for this rifle as I do for everything else I own.

I am asking all you 470 owners that reload, what do you use??? I am partial to RCBS dies and Norma Brass, I plan on using Hornady softs in the USA on Bear, pigs and maybe a Moose. I plan on using Barnes X and Solids in Africa.

Any input will be appreciated. THANKS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, Butch will regulate for the solid/soft you specify. Not sure any company loads with Barnes X for their .470 ammo 'tho. Give him a call and ask the question.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:

I am asking all you 470 owners that reload, what do you use??? I am partial to RCBS dies and Norma Brass, I plan on using Hornady softs in the USA on Bear, pigs and maybe a Moose. I plan on using Barnes X and Solids in Africa.

Any input will be appreciated. THANKS

I used NORMA Cases, RCBS Dies, FED 215 Primers, Woodleigh bullets and H-4350 powder with good results.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I used NORMA Cases, RCBS Dies, FED 215 Primers, Woodleigh bullets and H-4350 powder with good results.

Used the same materials as ozhunter except for the powder, I used R-15 with wad, the H-4350 shot just as well as the R-15 and is a great powder for the 470 and 500 N.E.
Butch likes to use IMR 4831 when regulating the 470, personally I'd ask him to use the H-4350 to regulate your rifle, you can notice a reduction in recoil with the H-4350 over the IMR 4831.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Loading for the .470 is really simple. I use RCBS dies, Hornaday brass, 500 grain Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831. You just can't go wrong with a Woodleigh in the .470. I have tried Reloder 15 but it did not shoot as well and I got tired of fooling around with the filler which you must use if you use Reloder 15. I have some 500 grain Hawk bullets on order and I plan to give them a try as well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am cheap, so I started with CH4D dies that have worked out well. Use BeLL brass (now Jamison), FED215 primers, Woodleigh and cast projectiles, RL-15 (with filler) and IMR 4831 powders for the Woodleighs, and AA5744 for the cast bullets.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be worth it to have Butch regulate it for the new Hornady loads. The Hornady 470 ammunition is about $105/20 on the websites. Unless you love to reload, and plan this as your primary African weapon, you might save youself the time and trouble of another caliber to handload for.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
You are also going to have to make a decision whether you want your rifle regulated to what seems to be the "new" standard of 2150 fps or the "old Kynoch" standard. Kynoch regulated the older .470s at 2125 fps but that was out of a 31 inch barrel. That translates into about 2020-2050 in a new gun all of which seem to have barrels around 24 inches. It's a matter of personal preference but I prefer the Kynoch version and that is how my gun is regulated. In most 24 inch guns, right around 100 grains of IMR 4831 puts you right in that window. I think it is much easier on the shoulder and a bunch easier on the bullets. Just my two cents.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's some rcbs 470 dies for sale in the classifieds right now

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
10-4 thanks for the info Gents.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 for my .470 Chapuis and settled on a 104gr load. I bought 100 pieces of Norma brass but am not completely happy with it and have twice had case separations after only three/four reloads. I start to see a ring at the bottom of the case after two loadings. The next time I order I will try another brand of case. I use Swift A frames for softs and Woodleigh solids.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch just posted on the DR site. He has 1000 rounds of Hornady 470 brass just arrived. $2 a case plus shipping sounds pretty nice.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote