THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Which Small Cal DR Caliber; 7x65r or 8x57jrs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Small Cal DR Caliber; 7x65r or 8x57jrs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Which caliber would/did you choose for pigs and deer up to 100 yards; 7x65r or 8x57jrs? I think our European friends will chime here as I figure those calibers are far more common over there. The reason I am asking is I want to build a small cal DR on a classic European caliber and those seem the most practical and popular and I have dies for both already. But no rifles. I like the idea of the 8mm 196 grain bullet but I like 156 grain 7mms at higher velocity too. I already have an 8mm reamer too but don't let that influence answers.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have both. Two sets of barrels for my Valmet 412. So far I really like the 8X57 JRS. Very accurate at 100 yards. I haven't gotten my 7X65R sighted in yet. Either will get the job done!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 is the most popular double rifle cartridge in Europe. I have used it on driven boar hunts with success and found the recoil to be very mild. The 8x57 also has lower pressure than the 7x65.
If I was doing it I would choose the 8x57.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good advice and rationale; thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the range is only around 100 yards I would say go with the 8x57jrs it is a great round, especially in the thick woods, also very usable around bear country. I would be using my 30 06 Baikal (no comparison to your beautiful guns that you build, from the few pictures I saw) with heavy bullets for the same purpose. Incidentally what happened to that nice 9.3x74R you were building, did you finish it?

I would like to have had an 8x 57jrs in a drilling, did not happen, I ended up with a beautiful one with the 9.3x72, still a good cartridge.

Good luck

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Type of hunting

If there will be more running (risky) shots - 8x57.
If more of stationary (high seat - "sniping") hunting - 7x65.

Terrain

Open, clear terrain - 7x65.
Woodland, with a lot undergrowth - 8x57.

Scoped - 7x65.
Opensighted - 8x57.

7x65 might have a sligh edge at longer distances - but since that doesn't interest you at the end - each will do.

Good luck on pick.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
The 30R Blaser is a pretty good choice as well.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x65R with a 162g Hornady seems to work for me.
Right bbl through the shoulder of the first and a quick left quartering away for the second.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all; and thanks Malek for your kind words but I am just a rank amateur. I had to bush the firing pins on my 9.3 so that set me back as they are a pain in the ass to make. But the pressures of a 9.3 are too much for a big shotgun pin hole. I am in the process of regulating my 9.3 and it is raining today; so far got it within 4 inches at 50 yards after only three sessions so that is not bad. It started out crossing 4 inches and I am sneaking up on it. One more time, hopefully and it will be right. 30 Blaser? No; brass and dies are way too hard and expensive to get. And it is not
old. I am leaning toward the 8x57 and it will have a scope. I will look for a good 20 ga frame to build it on. And thanks, Mouse, for your European perspective; that is what I was looking for; although Alberta, your rifle is very nice...is that a Krieghoff?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd:

Good choice choosing the 8x57 and Good to hear that you are making head ways on the 9.3. Can't wait to see pix of the final product, although I don't mind seeing few before it is finished.

Alberta:

That is a beautiful duet. Can’t utilize a double in a better way. I was hoping to do the same right and left shots on my hunt yesterday, alas it did not happen. Well there will be more hunts in the near future God willing.

That is a beautiful looking rifle there, isn’t that a Sabatti that you can get up there in the 7x65?

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes its a Sabatti.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both in drillings. I've only used them for whitetails. From my less than vast experience, there isn't much difference. I would think it would be more about which one makes your sox go up and down. If you have either one with a good bullet like a partition, they would work well with any animals on your list. With that said, I like the 8x57 a bit more, just because.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; I know there isn't much difference in the two as I have a 280 Rem and many 8x57 Mausers. I want one, or the other in a DR for those intangible reasons, just because.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 100 yds and in, the 8x57. Beyond 100, I like the 7x65R best, and I have owned both, and really like both.

One of my biggest regrets is sellin my Merkel 140A in 7x65R.. It was so accurate and had no recoil at 8.5lbs. And a great piece of wood. I hope the new owner appreciates it more than I did.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am leaning toward the 8mm, for those 196 grain bullets; I figure that they will penetrate a big hog better than a faster 7mm will. That is why I like to use my 450-400 on them; I don't worry about penetration into the vitals from any angle. I am, however, intrigued by Alberta's Sabatti; that model is not imported into the US, I think?

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Out of context - have you thought about 7.62 Russian? I have used it for quite some time on Red Deer and Boars - was very pleased with performance - sits in the middle somewhere.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, that is good advice and that is a great cartridge; I don't know why it is not used more in DRs; it makes a lot more sense than inventing the 30 blaser. I already have a 7.62 Russ reamer too, from building custom Mosins;. . I have thought about it...I just wanted a sporting cartridge. Again, thanks for your insight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yeah, I am leaning toward the 8mm, for those 196 grain bullets; I figure that they will penetrate a big hog better than a faster 7mm will.

I'm thinking that depends on what bullet is used. I'll bet you that a 7mm 175NP will out penetrate a 8mm 200NP.

I've shot a lot of big game with the 8x57 from moose and bear on down, and i do like it, but my experience with 7mm 175NP's tells me it will out penetrate the 8mm 200NP.

Both are great, but i'd choose the 7x65R for the less recoil in a light DR on non dangerous game..

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmm... you could be right; I have never shot anything alive with an 8mm. But on the recoil calculations I have done, the recoil is exactly the same for a 196 grain at 2350 and a 156 grain at 2700. I thought the 156 was fairly standard for use in DRs. I have not made a firm decision yet although I did get a box of 8mm JSR last saturday but I traded a box of 7.65 Argentines for them so no problem. I like the 7mm too...... I have a 280 Ack Imp Masuer but that is like shooting a 7 mag. I know, I can do some penetration tests. I have lots of 8mm 98ks and the 280; I can load some rounds to DR velocities and see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
since i have both inside 100 meters almoust no difference,7x65r has edge on longer distane flatter shooter,i use 7x65r witg 177 gr rsw tig bullets for almoust 20 years now with perfect results on all game in europe and in canada,i agree with DM,it will outpenetrate 8mm

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike:

I have seen on your signature that you have this double, a Merkel 160.1-2 in the 8x75RS caliber.

Can you expound a little on this round, what bullet weight, velocity, pressure, etc. I know nothing about it and never saw it before.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am, however, intrigued by Alberta's Sabatti; that model is not imported into the US, I think?

Me too, certainly a beauty and it seems to shoot very good despite the maker. Or is it the shooter behind the gun? Wink Big Grin definitely would like to hear about that hunt report.

I would like to know if they had the same issue with the muzzles which seems that finally the people at Sabatti got hold on their marbles and corrected it.

Also what kind of a price range you are able to get these rifles for?

Best regards
Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this hog with my 8x57JRS(Pedersoli). My friend paced it off at 80 yards. Never got to use the sticks.

photo.JPG by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Nice pig!

Who's the old geezer? wave

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Dominique Venner writing in L'Arme de Chasse Aujourd'hui,, the chamber pressure for the 8x57JRS is 2,900 bar compared to 3,300 bar for the 7x65R. In some actions, the difference might be significant. For reference, Venner lists a pressure of 3,000 bar for the 9.3x74R.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
Hi Mike:

I have seen on your signature that you have this double, a Merkel 160.1-2 in the 8x75RS caliber.

Can you expound a little on this round, what bullet weight, velocity, pressure, etc. I know nothing about it and never saw it before.

Best regards

Malek

Thanks for asking. The 8x75RS is 9.3x74R brass necked down to 8mm, and the RS means the rimmed version of the .323, and R only designation would be the .318.

This cartridge has often been compared to the .300 H&H or similar .300 mag. My rifle shoots 200 gr Speer Spitzers using 68 gr of RL-22 perfectly to both the iron sights and very close groups using the scope at 100 yeards. At 8.5 lbs, it's a dream to carry and the recoil is just fine.

My gun is the sidelock version and was the IWA gun of the year in 2005. Thanks for your interest.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which caliber would/did you choose for pigs and deer up to 100 yards; 7x65r or 8x57jrs? I think our European friends will chime here as I figure those calibers are far more common over there. The reason I am asking is I want to build a small cal DR on a classic European caliber and those seem the most practical and popular and I have dies for both already. But no rifles. I like the idea of the 8mm 196 grain bullet but I like 156 grain 7mms at higher velocity too. I already have an 8mm reamer too but don't let that influence answers.

Of the two you list my pick would always be the larger bore, and heavier bullet! This is simply the best choice for a more wide range of animals it is able to do the job on under more conditions.

There is not a 1/4 inch difference in drop between the two at 100 yds, and no more than an inch at 175-200 yds. The larger and heavier bullet will do less damage to small targets, and will penetrate better on larger animals like black bear and moose!

I have hunted with 8mm rifles a lot and had a 8X57JR double, and still have an 8X57JR/16ga cape gun that is a damn fine hunting gun that will place a 196 gr bullet dead on the iron sights at 100 yds, and will place a Brenneke 16 ga slug right beside the rifle barrel at 100 yds. I have take mule deer at over 200 yds with the rifle side on many occasins, and the 196 gr bullet is deadly at that range. I see no benefit for the 7.65 over the 8MM, but there is benefit with the 8mm over the 7.65!

.............................All only my opinion but one from a base of experience with both on a wide range of animals both large and small!
.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot this hog with my 8x57JRS(Pedersoli). My friend paced it off at 80 yards. Never got to use the sticks.

That is some nice shot with open sights, ideal practice at that distance/animal for an open sighted double.

I was under the impression that you rather knife them old budy. Big Grin

mdstewart:

Thank you for the information about the 8x74R it looks like a very excelant round for all NA game. What kind of velocity are you getting with that load?

Right on MAC tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd:

I think a 30-06 Baikal reamed to 30R Blaser. Wink

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Malek
I have only witnessed a pig sticking....No knifes for me. Everytime I use one, I have to look for the "band-aids"!!!

quote:
Originally posted by malek:
quote:

That is some nice shot with open sights, ideal practice at that distance/animal for an open sighted double.

I was under the impression that you rather knife them old budy. Big Grin

mdstewart:

Thank you for the information about the 8x74R it looks like a very excelant round for all NA game. What kind of velocity are you getting with that load?

Right on MAC tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you better stay away from them knives.

PM is on the way.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek