THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anyone in the Houston area w. a 9.3 Chapuis?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in the Houston area w. a 9.3 Chapuis?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've decided to sell off the unused portion of the gun safe, and buy a nice rifle. Would anyone be willing to let me try out their Chapuis in 9.3x74, in exchange for some cigars, etc? I've been advised to go w. a 470 NE instead, but I'm a bit worried about recoil.

Thank You,

Brad

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not in Houston...... but you won't regret choosing the 9,3 over the 470 for your first DR. Much more flexible and fun to shoot.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Aglifter,
Mine was laying on the table at the Hoot and Shoot! Call me and you can shoot both my doubles! 281-437-3261

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
youre welcome to shoot mine also....jim 832.746.6658... it's the case colored version, game scene, with extractors, scoped with a redfield 2-7....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
or look at that Kreighoff new guy has in the classifieds for $8k or gander mountain has a new merkel on I45 north for $8k

both are 470 NE

Al

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I would encourage you to try a .470 before you make the call. I think there are better choices than the 9.3x74R, for example, the .450/.400. The .450/.400 is probably the most versatile of the bunch. If you are just going to use the rifle here, the 9.3 will be fine. But if you want to chase nasty things with it in Africa, I would go bigger. IMHO.

I used a .458 WM on elephant last year. I will use a .470 NE or a .505 Gibbs this year. There is something to the bigger is better, provided you can shoot it.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize I should use as much gun as I can handle -- at the shoot, my 375 Ruger didn't affect me at all -- the 458 Win Mag leaves me sore for days -- it's the same thing that always happens to me. I'll be swinging by Tip's to see if the stock fits, but I suspect it could just be the result of the damage I've done to my shoulder w. years of 'lifting.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the offers of help -- I should have tried some at the shoot, but there were some scheduling issues that I wasn't aware of until Sun. afternoon. I'll be in touch as soon as I can.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I trade rounds for cigars. Wink I can help with the .450/.400, the .470 and should you be so bold, the .500. Let me know when you want to head out to the range.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a sweet Merkel 470 for 6K in Houston area. Test fired only Case and assc available for alittle more. lot better thatn the gander at 8k.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .470 NE's felt recoil will depend on how well the stock fits you and what it weighs. A practice load of a cast 500 gr bullet driven by 42-45 grs (depending on what regulates in the rifle) of 5744 will be very pleasant to shoot compared with the .458 Win Mag.

If the .458 Win Mag bothers you, how are you managing with the .458 AR? It can drive a 500 gr bullet a lot faster than the .458 Win Mag.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the 458 AR on hold, until I decide which way to go. Tip put a "trial" spacer, and an HG tube in my 458 Win today. I'll see how it works out.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I think you would be fine with a 470NE double. I find them very easy to shoot compaired to large bore bolt rifles. Having said that, you are wise to fine someone to allow a test ride before you buy. As suggested above, stock fit and weight all make a big difference in felt recoil.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I think you would be fine with a 470NE double. I find them very easy to shoot compaired to large bore bolt rifles.

+1 thumb
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
From what you have said about the 458, I'd still stick with your original choice of the 9.3x74R.

In equal weight guns, the 470 will kick just as much as the 458, and maybe worse depending on the stock shape.

With the 9.3, it still has lots of recoil, big enough for anything in N.A., lightweight, and still gets you the all the fun of having a SxS.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the chronic shoulder problem stick with the 9.3x74R or the 450-400. I agree with Will, if the 458 leaves you sore in the shoulder the 470 will do the same, maybe worse. If the 9.3 weighs under eight pounds and you can get a 450-400 at ten pounds the recoil might feel the same on the shoulder, if so I would go with the 450-400. Rusty is the man that owns both calibers, and he's offered you to shoot them, go for it.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Generous MJines let me try out his rifles this morning -- none of his rifles seemed to bother my shoulder (the 500 and the 470 stung my hand a bit, but that was all.) -- so, for anyone interested, there will be a Mark X 458 Win Mag in the classifieds in the near future...

Right now, I'm leaning toward, maybe, a 450-400. Part of me really wants a 9.3x74 for PG, deer, etc, but MJines, has a GREAT 450-400, that I might want to duplicate.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You Texans!

First, a 458 WM pains you and now 470 and 500 NE's are no problem. Sheesh! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote