THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle fun shoot in North Carolina April 23, 24, 25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle fun shoot in North Carolina April 23, 24, 25
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted
Gentlemen

This shoot will be held at Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School in Sanford, N.C. (about 20 miles south of Raleigh).

This is the same place and date as the Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition Spring Classic. I attended this event and last year and had a great time.

Ken Buch of KEBCO will be providing a Verney-Carron double (to "test drive") and the fine folks at Hornady will be generously donating the ammo to be used for that gun. Nitro express calibre to be determined soon.

Bring your double(s) and if you don't have one, try the Verney Carron. Please make an effort to save up and bring plastic jugs which we can fill up and shoot. This will be a great, informal, fun shoot.

Hope to see y'all there.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see you there live in pittsboro nc a few miles from event. sauer.43 spanish- pedersoli 45-70 lefever 30-40 regards

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
By the way, don't forget the pig pickin with bluegrass music Saturday evening.

Yeeehaaaw!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That's a good side-excuse to go to Smithfield for some BBq

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are planning on comming and shooting double rifles please start saving milk jugs and 2L bottles. It will be a target rich environment!!!! The jugs can be filled up behind the club house. Last year we shot well over 300 jugs and ran out.

If anyone has some 5 gallon pales please bring them. The big guns really do a number on them. The more pales the better as they go fast when I'm on deck and blazing away Big Grin

Here are just a few calibers that will be attending.

8x57R
9.3x74R
45-70
450NE
450 #2
500NE
577 3"
577 3-1/4"

The nice folks at Hornady will be donating some 450NE ammunition and Ken Bush, the importer of Verney Carron double rifles, will be offering up a 450NE for demo.

Bring LOTS of ammo. Rest assured I will jumping

Who knows maybe some bolt gun trash might show up.

There will be a small charge to shoot each day. Bill, the owner of Deep River, will be setting the price very soon and once it is set either Don or myself will post the detail. I am pretty sure it will be $15 or under per day.

BR

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
That's a good side-excuse to go to Smithfield for some BBq

Glad your going to make it....hushpuppies and banana pudding as well?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Don, I will be there with my son Matt again...

Mike
A few pics from last year.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

The cost will be $10 per person per day. Shooters will need to go to the club house and get a wrist band/ticket in order to shoot. No wrist band/ticket no shooting. Bill indicates that we will have two gun racks this year. That should be able to hold all the guns that will show up. In addition the guns will be roped off under a tarp and only owners will be allowed to go in the roped off area.

OK now lets have roll call, who is coming and what are you bringing?

Start saving 2 liter bottles, milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets. We need all we can get. Jugs can be filled up behind the club house.

As Don mentioned above, Ken Bush, the importer of Verney Carron double rifles will be loaning a .450 Nitro for test drives Big Grin Big Grin. No charge to shoot the gun and ammo will be available at no charge while supplies last. Get there early as I'm in control of the ammo and I have an itchy trigger finger jumping

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year and hopefully some new faces.

BOOM...BOOM.

BR

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Famars 450#2 ejectors articulated front trigger and very accurate. New recoil pad and grip cap.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Southern Side By Side runs over three days, April 23, 24,& 25. Are you folks planning on a double rifle shoot on all three days or just one? If just one, which day and aproximate time slot, please?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Its a "fun" shoot and no score of any kind is kept. We shoot milk jugs and paper targets both still and moving. If my work schedule permits I will be there on Friday and we will start around 9am. Saturday and Sunday are 100% for sure and blasting begins bright and early and lasts till the ammo is gone or your shoulder cannot take it anymore. If you are coming please bring your share of milk jugs. Everyone pitched in with targets (jugs/soda bottles) last year. I am going to bring some ballons to fill with water. If you plan on coming in the night before please fill up a bunch of water balloons. I think we shot close to 300 jugs last year and about 100+ balloons. The only reason that we did not shoot more balloons is that I was the only one filling them up. I just scored some 4 gallon water cooler jugs for this years event Big Grin Big Grin The big NE guns really make a mess of them!! Videos for sure this year. It will be a target rich environment for sure Big Grin

Although this is a double rifle shoot I'm sure there will be some bolt gun trash to show up (African battery). If my crystal ball is working correctly maybe a Fraser in .256 Mannlicher.

BR

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Will a particular Otto Bock 577 be there? Or another particular 600NE? Smiler

I wish I could have been there.....sigh....!!!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a 700 or 8bore would enjoy that.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I have never shot a 700 or 8bore would enjoy that.

Mike

BECAREFUL with this shooter - he likes to send large bored rifle airborned after shooting them.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
YEA, thank God both barrels were empty, scared the livin bjesus out of me. I thought there was one barrel left loaded and safety off and flying thru the air. Eeker BOOM

Paul, thanks for bringing back nightmares.
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll Call

Who is coming and what blasters are you bringing?

BR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be down on Friday with an 8 bore Paradox or a Holland .577 hammerless.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm coming, plan to be there all three days. I'm bringing 3 doubles, a .22 Hornet, a .303 British, and a .450 #2 NE. Looking forward to putting a face to some of the names here, and to rupturing a few water-filled plastic jugs.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ron looking forward to meeting and shooting with you.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Bring PLENTY of ammo especially for your 450 #2. Retreever will have his 450 #2 so we are up to two #2 Big Grin

I was able to score some 4 gallon water cooler jugs!! We will save them for 480gr pills and larger. I am hoping to have a car load of the 4 gallon jugs.

For everyone coming please bring 2 liter bottles milk jugs, etc. We need explosive targets. Anyone with a video camera please bring it as I would like to post some videos on youtube.

JAZ, bring them both.

We will have tables and chairs this year. I am working on the canopy.

BR

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
OK guys

I'll bring my .450 No.2 as well.

Wow, does that make it a No.3???

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends owns a service station. I called him this morning and asked him to save me all of the empty antifreeze and windshield-washer jugs that he can between now and April 19.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many of you fellows are still planning to attend? I'm leaving here early tomorrow morning, along with my friend Claudio Opacak. We plan on arriving in Sanford about noon on Thursday. I have a motel room booked for Thursday thru Sunday nights. I'll have around 40 one gallon plastic jugs in the back of my truck. Look for a black Yukon with Ontario plates. See y'all there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

It looks like the Double Rifle Shoot only be on Saturday and Sunday. Due to a conflict I will not be able to make it on Friday. If Bill gives the green light then someone else can run the shoot on Friday. Otherwise, it is blasting time first think on Saturday morning. I will be delivering a car load of 4 gallon jugs to Deep River this afternoon. Retreever is going to get them filled and take them down to the shooting area. See everyone first thing Saturday.

BR