THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    hard cases for double rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hard cases for double rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
Does anyone have any ideas where to get a hard case for a double? They look like a suitcase, and are usually made out of canvas and leather, and the rifle comes apart to store or transport in them (by car, not TSA approved.) They also have a couple of smaller compartments for snap caps, a cleaning kit, a box of ammo, etc. I've looked and cant find them anywhere except Jeff's Outfitters, and the one I ordered wont work. Any suggestions??

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Galazn sells them.

And I think I read a post that Heym (new guy) was having some done along with the culling belts. not 100% on that.
Just curios, why didn’t the Jeff’s outfitters box work, I was going to get one. I bought a canvas case off him for my shotgun and it is pretty nice.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy has a guy that builds custom cases for his customers that want cases. You might ask him.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I had this case built specifically to fit my double rifles this past year by Americase. Give them a call and speak to J.D. I took it, along with both doubles shown here to the Zambezi Valley in Zim this October and they were 100% protected. The 10.5 Courtney boot is shown for size reference. As you can see, the case is exceptionally small and does not look like a rifle case. In fact, the case with rifles came out with the regular baggage at every stop along the way.

Weight of the case itself is 17 lbs so two doubles will easily make the 50lbs limit as the larger of the two shown here is a 577NE at 12.5 lbs. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have dealt with Jeff's Outfitters and found him to have the best selection and prices. Make sure you check out the "special" section for great prices. Nice guy too!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Connecticut Shotgun and others will sell you stuff like that and our local gunshop even keeps them. The trick, I suppose, is to find one for the short rifle barrels. H&H will sell you one for about $7000. They look fine, of course, but cost so much you need a canvas bag to protect them and then something else to protect the expensive canvas bag Smiler

And while one may help you sell the rifle, eventually, the buyer probably won't want to pay for the case but will expect it thrown in.

My rifle spends most of its time in the cabinet where airflow and security is much better. When I go to the range or hunting, a less-precious case is employed for obvious reasons. For trips to Africa, handlers' gaffs and excess-baggage charges suggest a completely different outlook, like putting two rifles in one aluminium case.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I had this case built specifically to fit my double rifles this past year by Americase. Give them a call and speak to J.D. I took it, along with both doubles shown here to the Zambezi Valley in Zim this October and they were 100% protected. The 10.5 Courtney boot is shown for size reference. As you can see, the case is exceptionally small and does not look like a rifle case. In fact, the case with rifles came out with the regular baggage at every stop along the way.

Weight of the case itself is 17 lbs so two doubles will easily make the 50lbs limit as the larger of the two shown here is a 577NE at 12.5 lbs. Hope this helps.

If I may,How much did this set you back? I hate lugging my pelican around,what are the dimensions? thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Bill,

It wasn't cheap as you see it here but I ordered absolutely every add on you can get. $695 with tax. I think you can get it for about $400 without all the embroidery and velvet. Your best bet is to check with J.D. at Americase in Waxahatchie, TX.

It really is smaller than it looks here at 9"x6.5"x28". 17 lbs. Loaded with my 577NE, 9.3X74R, Scope, and two slings, it tops out at 38lbs. Only downside is there are no wheels to carry it but I just throw it on top of my duffle with wheels.

It's TSA approved. Everything is secured rock solid with tie downs but I also stuffed all the voids with socks and underwear for air travel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How disappointing would that be, losing your guns and then having to wear the same underwear and socks for 21 days straight. Wink

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
having to wear the same underwear and socks for 21 days straight. Wink

And the problem with that is.....? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Todd do you check that case as shown with the canvas cover? How has it held up? Any photos of after a few trips? Also do you feel them latches are pretty secure? Do you wrap it with any straps just in case they damage the latch in transport? I just have never had that good of luck with that style of latch/lock. But maybe mine have just been cheap POS.....

Thanks
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
oh and also did you need to send them rifles for measuring and fitting?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hey now, I made sure to have an extra clean pair of skivvies on before the trip just in case! Not an extra pair, but extra clean just in case they had to last the entire 18 days!! Cool

Mac,

So far it has only made the one trip to Zim and back. It doesn't look any different except that the cover is a little dirtier. It can be taken off and washed however. But yes, I did check it with the cover installed as that is the recommendation from Americase. The latches seem very secure on this case. I have had other cases with similar latches that didn't hold up and I know exactly what you are talking about but these are much more heavy duty and sturdy. In addition to the two latches, there is a combination lock in the center of the case, under the handle.

I didn't wrap it with any straps but one thing you'll notice is that the canvas cover really holds it together. There is a full length velcro strip along the bottom that covers the three locks, then both sides have a full length velcro strip in the opposite direction, then the top has an overlap with a full length velcro strip on each end that holds the side strips down. Doesn't sound like much being velcro, but the three layers of velcro on canvas that overlap almost becomes a pain the in the ass to deal with trying to open it. Once you open the latches, you really need three hands to hold the velcro flaps out of each other's way to open the case.

Time will tell as to it's longevity but it sustained absolutely no damage at all on it's first trip over and back. It really seems to be a rock solid case for travel and looks good for display as well. I'll try to snap a couple of current pics of it since the trip and post them for you.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Current pics taken today.

Close up detail of the latch:

Current pic of the inside:

Detail of the velcro fastening system:

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Thanks for the pics & info,I will call them & give it a try.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a new or used English case, try this site. Sorry about that, forgot to include the link.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...glish.cfm?cat_id=899

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a really good way to transport 2 doubles. I liked the idea well enough that I located one and bought it. Thanks for the pics Todd.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
thanks Todd that looks great. I am going to get one made up. Do you need to send them your guns for measurement of do that yourself? Also what was the wait time?
Thanks
Mac

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac, they are local to me so I drove to the factory with my guns and they measured them. However, you can do just as well by tracing them yourself and sending them the trace. Make sure to trace in two in two dimensions (side view and top or bottom view) as they will lay them out to fit best (notice my 9.3's barrels are stored right side up but the 577's barrels are on their side). Trace out any accessories as well such as scope, sling, or any other items you want in the case such as tools or oil bottles, snap caps, etc. J.D. used butcher's paper to do the tracing. That would probably work best as then you could just roll it up, put into a shipping tube, and mail it to them.

I think they built the case in about 6 weeks. It really depends on their current workload. For example, they build all the cases for Blaser and other companies. If you catch them between batches, it could be built rather quickly, but if you hit it right after a major order, it might take awhile.

Good luck with the case. I think you'll be happy with it.

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
thanks to everyone for the replies and info!!

Sambarman338- I understand what you are saying about the case helping sale value, but the rifle is NOT for sale, ever!!! jumping

Double BC- I sent you a PM

thanks again to everyone, take care!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
That has to be one of the nicest cases I've ever seen for one or two double rifles. Seems very reasonably priced for the outstanding quality.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Todd,
That has to be one of the nicest cases I've ever seen for one or two double rifles. Seems very reasonably priced for the outstanding quality.

I really like it! I hope it gets an opportunity to make many more trips across the big pond.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Americase cam make you just about anything you could want. I had those type of locks on an earlier case that busted in transit. It looked like they took a direct hit. I had to duct tape it closed to continue on in Joberg.
This experience left me wanting more and I bought an another Americase that uses padlocks with a stronger latch. I'm sure they could make a DR case with these locks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, that is a great case.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lavaca. I'm very happy with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most Searcy doubles come in an Americase aluminum case and the one that came with my 470 is very nice and sturdy. I have never taken it to Africa so can't say how it would hold up. In my opinion it is an excellent way to go if you don't need to have a traditional leather case.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Todd's case looks unbeatable! patriot

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have personal experience Jeff's Outfitters hard cases? User pictures would be appreciated!

I'm curious too if anyone has followed up on a custom Americase.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srose has 2 of the leather type gun cases for doubles for sale in the classified.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kalispel Cases look like another good option.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/kalispelguncases.htm

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
byf, would you please answer why the case you ordered from Jeff's won't fit your double rifle?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info Todd. I ordered a similar case to yours and will have it tomorrow for my trip next week. Built it quite similar to yours but just a tad longer so it could fit 28" shotgun barrels as well. JD was great to work with.

Thanks,
Mac

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Thanks for all the info Todd. I ordered a similar case to yours and will have it tomorrow for my trip next week. Built it quite similar to yours but just a tad longer so it could fit 28" shotgun barrels as well. JD was great to work with.

Thanks,
Mac

That's great Mac. Glad it worked out for you and it seems they got it built rather quickly as well! J.D. is a good fellow!

Lets see some pictures once you get it.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Those Kalispel cases are also sold by Cabelas. I bought one that also slides under a wheeled duffle into a seperate compartment to travel.
The locking rod can be removed to add more padlocks if desired too.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
Kalispel Cases look like another good option.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/kalispelguncases.htm

That's the case that I have but mine is longer. Big enough for two rifles.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote