New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting DR with re-loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just shot my new-used a Chapius SxS in 7x65r today. I am using S&B factory ammo with 173 gr bullet. My results at 50 yds were about 2-1/2" groups with the left barrel higher than the right. My question is what do I have to do of get these 2 barrels to shoot closer? Do I need to speed the load up or slow it down.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 262 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try a lighter bullet or speeding up the same weight slightly. You are very close with current load so it should not take much to bring it in closer. Changing bullet type can make a big difference so you just have to experiment until you find the right combination.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it regulated with S&B ammo? Changing brands of ammo can sometimes make a difference.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Get a chrono,so that you know what speeds you are shooting,it is the best tool to develop loads for DR.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How were the shots aligning horizontally? It is much easier to change horizontal movement with bullet weight and velocity than it is to change it vertically (meaning one barrel). It is easy to change both barrels vertically with changes in bullet weight. Barrel flip, jump, and all that, you know. They can be very tempermental that way.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I don't know what the regulation load was, so I have ordered dies and will try some different loads when they arrive. Will tempurature make a differance? I shot it yesterday it was about 34 deg F. I'll keep you posted.

Posts: 262 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on a lot of things, mainly the particular powder's sensitivity to temp, and that is for extremes. I don't consider 34 degrees extreme although I don't generally go to the range when it is that cold; mainly due to the fact that here, we always have wind. But I do hunt in 34 degrees and the game does not know the difference in regulation. Over 90 degrees would be another extreme case to consider. As you know, they used to load ammo lighter in England so when you got to Africa, it would be faster, but that was with cordite which is very sensitive to temp. Bottom line is that I personally don't worry about it.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote