THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Which is the most popular of the 450NEs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is the most popular of the 450NEs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Heym make a 450NE.
Is this the 450-3 1/4" or the 450No.2?
Which one is the more popular?

ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Heym is a 450NE 3 1/4", but they might do a 450#2 NE for you if you want! The only difference between them is the 450#2 NE is a little lower pressure, but balisticly they are twins! The Heym is pleanty strong, so there is no worries about the difference in pressure!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there were far more 450 straight made than the 450 # 2 which was a late comer.

both are excellent cartridges.

the 450 straight allows building a slimmer rifle, if the maker is capable . some are not and use one action size to fit all.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter,

I understand that finding 450NE 3 1/4" brass is a whole lot easier and cheaper than finding the No2 variety.

If anyone is looking at a rechamber from a 458, the 3 1/4" is the choice since the case is just large enough to clean up a 458 chamber and it leaves maximum steel.

And Tomo is right about there being many more 3 1/4" rifles made.

Kynoch shows a 25fps difference with the 450 No2 ahead, both with a 480gr bullet.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies guys. It sounds like the 450NE3 1/4" would be the way to go.
Regards,
Adam.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oz hunter
you should be able to find an original 450 x 3 1/4 in your country. i would guess a lot of them came out of "inja" at the end of the raj.

contact the big bore rifle club of australia too

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote