THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do you crimp bullets in place when reloading?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you crimp bullets in place when reloading?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good Day to All:

I was messing around with my Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 9.3x74R.

I noticed a compresion ring around one of the bullets I pulled and realized I had way too much crimp on my cases.

I tried an experiment where I took a resized case and measured the inside neck (.369). Without a projectile, I ran the case up into the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I removed the case and re-measured the neck (.360).

The projectile is of course .366 and therefore I should have a factory crimp of .006.

Before conducting this experiment I had the crimp at well over .010 and it was crushing the bullet in a circular pattern around the bullet creating a canalure where there was none.

Interestingly, at 50 metres, with several different powders and loads I was getting bullets out of one barrel or the other that would have the holes overlapping one-another with two shots from each barrel; Ie, R1 and R2 would be overlapping and L1 and L2 would be overlapping.

Now to the question: For those of you who reload, do you crimp your bullets in place and if so how much of a crimp do you use and what type of crimp do you use, ie, factory crimp, taper crimp, role crimp?

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I lightly crimp my 600s and 585s using the Lee Factory Crimp Die adjusted to give a light crimp in the cannelure or between bands on banded bullets.

The advantage of the Lee die is jsut what you found - if there is no cannelure or it is in the wrong place for your particular load, it will make one and crimp there.

In other calibers I can't say that I put a crimp in. On those occasions that I do, it is using regular seating die (usually RCBS but I also like Hornady dies).

In the directions that came with my Lee die (which can only be read using an electron microscope) you can adjust the die to give as little or as much crimp as you want.

Stay well

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and 1 inch groups at 50 yards. Not all rifles are the same so one should experiment with this type of reloading procedure to establish what is necessary for that rifle.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, I do not crimp my 450/400, 8X57RJS, or my 9.3X74R. I you check rounds in the unfired barrel after firing one barrel, I think you will find that the projectile has not moved.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I follow Butch Searcy's advice and lightly crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The Lee crimp die is a great tool. I use them wherever I can.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lightly crimp (1 to 2 /1000's on the neck diameter) calibers starting from .375 and larger with either a roll crimp or Lee factory crimp die. I prefer the Lee if I have it.

I started doing this after Hornady told me that a light crimp provides an opportunity do get uniform ignition and results in less velocity variance shot to shot in the larger calibers.

My chrono and groups agree with Hornady.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I light crimp always. on ever caliber i shot

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Lee make custom crimp dies? I would have liked to have had one when I was loading for my 500NE, but could not find one for that caliber.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
The Lee crimp die is a great tool. I use them wherever I can.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Lee make custom crimp dies?

Absolutely...I have several...applicable here...my .500 NE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Lee will make a crimp die for anyone.

I had to special order my 9.3 factory crimp die. If I remember correctly, including shipping and handling, it was $40.00 or so Cdn.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crimping is necessary with calibers having heavy bullets, such as .450, .470, .500, etc., because the fired round can often cause the unfired round to force the bullet out of its seat, but I never found it necessary for calibers shooting lighter weight bullets, such as 8 x57R, up to and including the 9.3x74R and maybe even the .450/.400., as they have never been forced out of seat from recoil, and I have shot thousands of rounds through the years. I believe that NOT crimping on smaller calibers is not necessary, and will increase life span of the brass involved. Crimping on the heavy bullet calibers is necessary, but will decrease life span of brass, especially if deep crimping is done.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote