New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reticles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Grateful for advice on which of three reticles to choose for a Leupold VX-7 1.5x6 that will be mounted on a .375 H&H flanged magnum double. Add some weight in your advice toward lower light shooting in considering the three available reticles: XT duplex, German#4 and circle dot.

Best for the New Year,
Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
For me it would be XT duplex particularly in low-light conditions.

My second choice would be the German #4

Not at all interested in the circle-dot as my single experience with one demonstrated how easily my eyes lose the "dot" on a target as light is fading.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
German #4 with the tight heavy bars.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Circle-Dot hands down in any light conditions, but especially low light. I have two 1.5-5x Leupold illuminated, one on a .416Rem and the other on a .458Lott. Both rifles have seen work in Africa on multiple occasions. Also use the EOTech with the illuminated Circle-Dot on heavy handguns also used in Africa. I will be putting an EOTech on a new DR 500 NE as well, for a 2011 Elephant hunt.

IMO the Circle-Dot is an extremely fast and accurate reticle. One reason the Marines like it so much.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that same scope with the XT reticle. I was going to buy the #4 till I compared them. I understand Leupold is discontinuing this line and coming out with an upgrade so do some investigation before writing a check. I would ask Jon at The Optic Zone about the change.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well Tim, seems that was helpful! jumping

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to prefer the #4.....very fast and it stands out in lower light for me.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
German #4

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
German #4.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a #4 on one of my double rifles (and I really like it)but I think I prefer a # 1 I have them also and I think there a little faster but saying that is splitting hairs.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the quick comment. I wasn't aware that the circle dot is illuminated Roll Eyes but I'll do so more diligence. Looks at this point as if its the German #4. I'll ask Butch Searcy his view as well...

Best in the New Year,
Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tim I own a German #4 Leupold on my 375 Kimber and cannot stress how highly an illuminated is for early or late shoooting. The 360 degree switch allows you to turn it on only a little or a bright dot whichever is needed. I also like the 30mm tube

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Like Mike I have one on my 375 Kimber. The great usefulness of the illuminated reticule is you can use it or not but in low light where the cross hairs disappear on your target you can use just enough light to see the cross hairs or for speed you can turn it up and use it like a red dot. The Circle-Dot is certainly a good choice but I like the illuminated German #4 better.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very partial to the Heavy Duplex or German #4 reticles. Like most others here, I don't have much use for the Circle Dot...I'm quite surprised that some seem to find it useful for low light.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Now I know why I was confused in this thread.

Tim asked about a Leupold 1.75-6x VX-7 I didn't know anything about an illuminated reticle on this model so based my opinion on the non-illuminated HD vs. German # 4 vs. Circle dot - and I still feel the same way.

The 1.75-6x VX-3 does have the illuminated reticle available - something I have never tried. I think I woudl stil lchoose the HD but the illuminated circle dot might be worth trying if i ahd the opportunity.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Circle dot is the fastest for quick-fire shots (eg for DGR, especially in low-light), but no.4 is fine for plains game.

If using the .375H&H for DGR, the circle-dot is easily the best choice (I have two of them).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote