Find
Notify
Tools

Ranking Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im already pondering my next Double Rifle and I havent even hunted with the one I have yet. Recently I purchased a Sabatti 9.3x74R. I thought 9.3 would THE perfect compromise cartridge, not overly powerful for Plains game and enough for Dangerous game (well certainly Leopard). I also planned to use it for Wild Boar and possibly Whitetail here in the States. It seemed like a great idea, as I would be using it a lot.

When I bought the Sabatti, I saw another rifle in 500NE. All the way home I started thinking that I really should have a Heavy Double Rifle for a Dangerous Game hunt Im planning for 2013/14. Ive been kicking around different calibers 450-400, 470, 500, etc (every once and awhile I slip 577NE to the list). I THINK 500NE is what I want; but I could probably be happy with a 470.

Then I start thinking about manufacturers and prices. I dont need fancy, in fact Im not looking for fancy. Prior to the Sabatti, the only doubles I had were Bakials. Theyre anything but fancy, and yet I dont mind taking them to the field when its raining or worry about them getting scratched.

Ive been looking at K-guns, Merkels, Blasers, Sabattis, and Searcys. Prices are generally where I expected to be. While none are "cheap" a heavy caliber Dangerous Game rifle is not something I want to pinch pennies on; yet Im not looking for frills or elaborate engraving. The Searcy "Field Grade" is interesting for exactly those reasons.

Can you DR guys rank the various guns out there (make / model / etc) and throw in some reasons (real or personal for your choices).

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will agree with your choice of the 9,3x74R.
It is the best double rifle caliber under 40, IMHO.

For your bigger double I recommend you shoot a 450/400 a 450, or 470 and a 500...

If you are over 40 years old I would consider a Heym 450/400 with a red dot, and a scope in claw mounts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There is really no reason to buy anything bigger than a 470. Guys that do are just playing because they have lots of play money.

Ammo for the 470 is generally readily available.

I would be much more concerned about shooting them in the right place.

If you can afford it the Heym is a great double rifle. I should have kept the last 470 Heym I had; it was a shooter for sure.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis can't be beat for the money.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Chapuis can't be beat for the money.

I'll second that!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
There is really no reason to buy anything bigger than a 470. Guys that do are just playing because they have lots of play money.

So is that why you are looking to buy some .500 barrels for your Krieghoff?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

When I purchased my Merkel 500, the store had a Merkel 470 as well. They were both the exact, same price!

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
What about brands? How does on stand up to another?

Im not sold or turned off by the "cocking lever" vs safety. Frankly the ejector vs extractor issue never bothered me either. And engraving, well its cool, some really cool; but I can certainly live without it.

Why did you pick one gun over another?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:
Im already pondering my next Double Rifle and I havent even hunted with the one I have yet. Recently I purchased a Sabatti 9.3x74R. I thought 9.3 would THE perfect compromise cartridge, not overly powerful for Plains game and enough for Dangerous game (well certainly Leopard). I also planned to use it for Wild Boar and possibly Whitetail here in the States. It seemed like a great idea, as I would be using it a lot.

When I bought the Sabatti, I saw another rifle in 500NE. All the way home I started thinking that I really should have a Heavy Double Rifle for a Dangerous Game hunt Im planning for 2013/14. Ive been kicking around different calibers 450-400, 470, 500, etc (every once and awhile I slip 577NE to the list). I THINK 500NE is what I want; but I could probably be happy with a 470.

Then I start thinking about manufacturers and prices. I dont need fancy, in fact Im not looking for fancy. Prior to the Sabatti, the only doubles I had were Bakials. Theyre anything but fancy, and yet I dont mind taking them to the field when its raining or worry about them getting scratched.

Ive been looking at K-guns, Merkels, Blasers, Sabattis, and Searcys. Prices are generally where I expected to be. While none are "cheap" a heavy caliber Dangerous Game rifle is not something I want to pinch pennies on; yet Im not looking for frills or elaborate engraving. The Searcy "Field Grade" is interesting for exactly those reasons.

Can you DR guys rank the various guns out there (make / model / etc) and throw in some reasons (real or personal for your choices).

EDELWEISS, Anything caliber wise, from 450/400NE 3" to 577NE will handle anything that walks the earth today. Admittedly some better than others. If you are thinking about hunting a lot of elephant then my pick would be the 500NE double rifle. If, however, you will hunt a mostly Cape buffalo then any of the others will do fine, but for a double that will make a very good all-around double rifle for hunting Africa, Canada, Alaska, and the lower 48 states, then the 450/400NE 3" is a hard one to beat!

I've read all the answers to your question here and it seems everyone is ignoring the "ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM" here, and that is the name SABATTI! If you were lucky with your 9.3X74R Sabatti double and got one that will shoot both barrels into the same county with the same sight hold, I wouldn't press my luck with buying another one, especially chambered for 470NE or 500NE!

I would look for a good used Searcy, Merkel, Krieghoff, Chapuis or Heym! The VCs are nice as well but you will not find many on the used market, as they are too new to the American market, but if you do find one of the VCs they are fine rifles. With any of the brands I have mentioned above you will get all or most of your money back when you sell the rifle. The used market for double rifles is flooded with used Sabattis! There is a reason for that! People are shedding themselves of doubles that simply do not shoot well! It just makes sense to spend just a little more and look only at brands that have proven to be good rifles, and forget the ones with a poor reputation! Something to think about before you write the check for a double rifle new, or used!

...................Good luck

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym sidelock - Merkel sidelock
Heym boxlock - Spanish sidelocks

Merkel boxlock - Sabatti
Krieghoff Classic (is here only because most of the guns have not ejectors, with ejectore it is better then the Merkel boxlock or the Sabatti)

Blaser (no ejectors and is manual cocking gun)

The French DR I have not yet seen so I can not put them into the clasification

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bunoushcu:
Heym sidelock - Merkel sidelock
Heym boxlock - Spanish sidelocks

Merkel boxlock - Sabatti
Krieghoff Classic (is here only because most of the guns have not ejectors, with ejectore it is better then the Merkel boxlock or the Sabatti)

Blaser (no ejectors and is manual cocking gun)

The French DR I have not yet seen so I can not put them into the clasification

Bunoushcu , anything is better than a Sabatti, IMO. At least the Blasers are accurate and are regulated properly. I wouldn't buy a Blaser S-2 double but I'd prefer it to a Sabatti. The newer Merkels in the big bore doubles are now available with selective ejectors! I have double rifles that are extractor, and some that have selective ejectors, and I don't find extractors that much, if at all, slower to re-load than an ejector double!

I also have double rifles and double shotguns with single triggers, and I don't seem to have any trouble transitioning from one to the other! However on a double used for dangerous game, I prefer double triggers, and a manual safety, and certainly a rifle that re-cocks it's self on opening!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote