Find
Notify
Tools

Finally wrote the check!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
We might have to call it the West Coast DRSS Shootout!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, we'll have to put something together. I'm out of state until the new year, but am game any time after that.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Sounds Good!! DRSS sometime in January? I should be back by then too.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

I just ordered pretty much the same thing yesterday.
I sent in the order form, fit info and deposit.

Left hand Field Grade Searcy 450 NE 3 1/4
without the Talley scope mount.

When reading the website, it said that other than
ejectors and the Talley mounts, there were no other
options available.
Your gun will have 26 inch barrels? I thought you could only get 24".
How much extra are the sling studs?
Does he rearrange the triggers for left handers?

I didn't know he is discontinuing the field grade.
I'm glad I have my order in.
The wait will be hard. I had trouble getting to sleep
last night because I was so excited.

He gave me some loading data in case you don't have it yet.

"I regulate the 450 3 1/4" with Hornady ammo. I will also give you the
reloading data to duplicate the Hornady ammo.
I have not found any big difference in the 480 gr or the 500 gr. in loading.
The load for the 450 NE.
IMR-4831= 96 grains
Federal 215 Primers Only
480 grain bullet or 500 grain"
Butch

quote:
Order and check went out yesterday for:
Left hand Field Grade Searcy
450 NE 3 1/4
Sling studs
Talley scope mount
26 inch barrels

Should of done this a couple of years ago as waiting just cost me more money. I think the final push was knowing Butch & Company are discontuing the Field Grade models at the end of this year so it was now or never.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked for 26 inch barrels, he said ok. Current rifle has 24 so I wanted to try something different.

Was told sling studs were standard but I would be sure to ask for them.

Not sure what he does to the triggers (if anything) for us lefties. Perhaps someone else could answer this?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My LH Searcy doubles have had the triggers set up for a LH shooter. The front trigger will fire the Left barrel. They are also twisted so the flat works from the left side. The action lever on mine operate like a RH gun. I ask for them this way simply because that is what I learned how to shoot with. I expect Butch can build them any way you desire however I would be sure he knows what you want.

Not a great photo but this was my LH field grade 470.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
So you push the lever to the right to open the action? Just like on the Chapuis?
Not sure why but even being a lefty I find this to be natural myself.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,

Thanks,

That is the only photo I found of the current Field Grade Searcy. I was looking for some closer shots to obsess over while waiting. Right hand ones are fine too.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having triggers set up for LH. I feel like I am getting an American Holland & Holland. I'll ask for that and the sling studs. Hooray for Butch Searcy!

Roscoe wrote:
"My LH Searcy doubles have had the triggers set up for a LH shooter. The front trigger will fire the Left barrel. They are also twisted so the flat works from the left side."

I noticed the trigger arrangement in the photo. However, I couldn't tell if the negative was reversed or not. There was no detail in the photo that would indicate that. Oops, your photo is probably digital, no negative. Then again, a digital photo can be flipped too.

Remember how everyone thought Billy the Kid wad left-handed because of a photo? When I saw that photo as a kid, I thought, the negative was reversed because the loading gate of his rifle would be on the right side.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Roscoe,
So you push the lever to the right to open the action? Just like on the Chapuis?
Not sure why but even being a lefty I find this to be natural myself.

Correct....it feels natural to me too. That is why I had it built that way. As a LH shooter all I ever knew was to push a lever rather than pulling it like a RH shooter can do. Butch can build them any way you choose however I wanted to keep the function the same as what I know. Believe me, the Left barrel shooting first will throw you for a loop when you get yours. I still forget that the Right one fires first when I shoot my Chapuis.

Dave,
The photos are not reversed. If you look close you will see the front trigger is on the left side of the rear.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I never dealt with Butch before, will he contact me before he starts to build the rilfe to work out the trigger and regulation details?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The photos are not reversed. If you look close you will see the front trigger is on the left side of the rear.

Yes, that is what I noticed. I didn't realize that such a nice option is available. I would expect it if I were spending the six figures that H&H wants (and I'll never have). I am gladly surprised that such customization is available for my "baby". I have never had a custom made gun before. I am sooo excited. It is like waiting for a child to be born. (Don't want to let my wife see that.)

Thanks Roscoe, any info concerning your purchase/building experience will be most welcome.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I never dealt with Butch before, will he contact me before he starts to build the rilfe to work out the trigger and regulation details?

He may but I would just send him an email with the details of what you would like. If you are not sure about something just ask. He will reply if you have a question. If you know what you want then tell him and it will be done. If your not sure then ask him to call before he begins your build to address the specific question. I believe a LH rifle will come like mine unless you ask for something different. It would not hurt to confirm though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
Good point, Might as well fire off another email to him and add it to the file.
Thanks for the tip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
My LH Searcy doubles have had the triggers set up for a LH shooter. The front trigger will fire the Left barrel. They are also twisted so the flat works from the left side. The action lever on mine operate like a RH gun. I ask for them this way simply because that is what I learned how to shoot with. I expect Butch can build them any way you desire however I would be sure he knows what you want.

Not a great photo but this was my LH field grade 470.

I don’t think there are any bad pictures when it is your rifle lying against your dead el.
Great picture
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emailed Butch about the triggers (left trigger up front for left barrel) and regulation and this is his response:

"Randy,
The trigger configuration is a given. Top lever also, because most
lefties are used to the right hand lever.
480 or 500 grain bullets don't make any difference in regulation.
Butch"

Now, if I could only find another 11K or so hiding under the mattress so I could order a 500 as well!

Roscoe, that is really nice wood for a Field Grade.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, if I could only find another 11K or so hiding under the mattress so I could order a 500 as well!

Look under Mama's side ! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, Roscoe and others who may be interested,

Johan Loubser was kind enough to supply this information on using his A-5744 powder for reduced loads in the .450 Nitro x 3 1/4". I asked because I felt it would be good for deer and such sized game.

Feel free to use the data as you think best. You might already have reduced load data. I'll ask Butch Searcy when we are farther along in the build process.

I'll post it over on the reloading forum as well. Wanted you to have first peek.

A-5744. 450 3-1/4" NE. Reduced loads
Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:26 AM

We suggest the following.

Caliber: .450 3¼” NE (Nitro Express).
Barrel: 24”
Powder: Accurate -- 5744

Bullet weight: 350 grains
Low load: 46.0grains (1750 – 1850 Ft/p/sec)
Mid Range load: 56.0grains (2050 – 2150Ft/p/sec)
Bullet weight: 400-405 grains
Low load: 44.0grains (1600 – 1700 Ft/p/sec)
Mid Range load: 53.0grains (1850 – 1950Ft/p/sec)

NOTES:

It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.

1. TO ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.

2. If at all possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards
Johan Loubser
Ballistician
Ramshot/Accurate Powders
Tel: (406) 234 04 22 email: johan@ramshot.com
Western Powders Inc -- Miles City – Montana.

COMPANY WEBSITES/PRODUCTS:
www.ramshot.com
www.accuratepowder.com
www.montanaxtreme.com
www.blackhorn209.com

Western Powders Inc. disclaims all possible liability for damages including, actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.

Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Allways begin loading from the minimum "START charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,

(i) please do not read or disclose to others, (ii) please notify the sender by reply mail, and (iii) please delete this communication from your system. Failure to follow this process may be unlawful. Thank you for your cooperation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch just emailed me a couple of photos of the new Field Grade model (right hand).
If anyone else wants to see these just pm me your email address and I'll forward them on.

PS: Checked Searcy's web site and you can now see the same photos there.

Bwana, thanks for the info! Great stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just used Hornady's contact form for the second time concerning the 450 NE dies and shellholder. They didn't reply the last time. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concerning the Hornady .450 Nitro dies:

I called Hornady today after two emails were never answered. I was told 6-8 weeks. The rep said the dies are not yet being produced but that Graf's and Midway were on the list to get some when they are ready. Looks like first of 2010 for Hornady.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
They haven't answered my emails either! Maybe their `puter is down? Wink I think I'll be calling CH4D about a set.. $156.00 group H

http://www.ch4d.com/

Hornady was slow getting ammo and brass out after the grand announcement and I'm guessing that this will be the same thing.

Has anyone found snap caps for these rifles? I did get a reply from A-Zoom/Lyman and they don't make them but the request will be passed on to the marketing division.. ( Like I think that'll do any good) Frowner

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New England Custom Gun Service

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

You might also look at their sling swivels too. The fit the studs on my Searcy ph perfectly.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone found snap caps for these rifles? I did get a reply from A-Zoom/Lyman and they don't make them but the request will be passed on to the marketing division.. ( Like I think that'll do any good)

I called Lyman awhile back and they said they don't make too many A-Zoom snap caps for the NE cartridges. I wanted some for .450 Nitro 3 1/4". They had two in inventory, so I bought those. The stock# is 11404.

The rep said they might run some of the NE types off once a year because demand is much less than for the more popular cartridges.

Here is a list and URLs:

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/snap-caps-rifle.php

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/s...%20to%20700%20NE#anc

Part No. Description

11401 416 Rigby
11403 450/400 x 3.25 NE
11404 450 x 3.25 NE
11405 470 NE
11406 475 #2 NE
11407 500 Jefffery
11408 500/465 NE
11411 577 NE
11412 600 NE
11414 700 NE
11451 50 BMG
12209 458 Lott
12216 50-70 Govt
12221 40-65
12231 45-70 Govt
12267 458 Win Mag
12268 405 Winchester
12288 416 Rem Mag
12289 416 Wea Mag

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It seems strange that they'd have 700NE and 500/465's ready to ship and not 450's.. I'd guess that there are many more 450NE's than 700NE's.

Thanks for the pn's Dave

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they sell more snap caps for a 700NE because a 700 NE is cheaper and easier on the shoulder to fire with snap caps than that monster cartridge? A 700 would be too much for me.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There is a fair chance that at out West Coast DRSS Shoot Out next spring that we'll get to shoot a 600NE.. The grin factor will be bouncing off the charts!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: