New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great results with 450 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned form Tanzania and had a great time hunting with my Searcy 450 NE. I used it for buffalo, zebra, and warthog. It shot very well and was a blast to use on different game. I think I'll have to use it on some NA game just to have fun. Here's some pics of the game I took with it. collected.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Looks like you were having fun!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and I loved the fact that you didn't pollute your double with a scope. Way to go!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
What ammo did you uses and how did it perform. I've go a .450 N.E. coming soon and wonder with what you had yours regulated?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
My gun was regulated for Hornady ammo and it shot very well. It and the ammo preformed very well, I thought, but a buffalo, zebra, and a warthog doesn't constitute enough useage to say the ammo was excellent. I would use it again though. What type of rifle do you have on ordered. I could not be more pleased with the Searcy. It handled and shot beautifully. Good luck with your new 450.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stuff!! I have a 450 NE Searcy Classic that I really like....but like the bullets a little faster than the Hornady rounds. Congrats on your trophies...well done.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Nice stuff!! I have a 450 NE Searcy Classic that I really like....but like the bullets a little faster than the Hornady rounds. Congrats on your trophies...well done.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

What velocity did you get with the Hornady? It is listed as 2150 from a 28" barrel (on the box)

My forthcoming .450 N.E. will, too, be a Searcy Classic. Delivery is scheduled late next month, just a bit too late to take to Deka for a buff and a tuskless if we run across one.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge....right off of the chronograph printout....Oehler...Searcy 450 w/26" barrels:

low of 2078, high of 2125, mean of 2099 with a std dev of 19.

These are the Hornady soft points....I didn't shoot any solids.

Butch says the gun is regulated with 96gr of IMR 4831 with a 480gr Woodie soft or solid. I know from previous experience that the solids go faster than the softs with the same loading. So I'm loading 96gr soft and 95gr solid and see what happens. I also don't mind foam plugs so I may try some RL15....supposedly not needed in the 450 3.25", but I'll use them as I think you get more consistent velocities.

I'll let you know what I get....probably next week as I'm not trying to prepare for Safari thumbdown.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
GarBy:

Thanks for the information!

It looks like the Hornady claims aren't too far off considering the couple of inches shorter barrels. 2100 fps ought to do the job.

I've got a couple of boxes of Hornady DGS awaiting arrival of the Searcy.

Let me hear from you when you try the handloads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will do Judge. When is Butch supposed to have your gun to you?...love to see some pics...I'll send you a couple...the Classic is a sweet piece of iron.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I was supposed to get it about the middle of next month, but since my next safari starts August 26th, I told Butch to not rush... Probably will get it before October. I believe it is at the engraver's now????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge...sent a couple of pics to your e-mail....

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!!! Nice rifle and trophies!! Thanks for sharing!!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ozark hunter,

First off congratulations on a fine hunt. Did you by any chance dig that bullet out of the buff. I'd sure like to see what they look like post mortum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike,

Unfortunately I didn't trace the bullet. It was the first morning and I was still real tired from travel and was caught up in the moment of my first buffalo. I totally missed the opportunity to check the bullet preformance.