New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Job?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who do you recommend to do a trigger job on my new Chapuis DR 9.3 x 74r and what recommended pull weight? Are any of the recommended gunsmiths close to me here in Louisiana?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bengo,

JJ Perodoux, co-located with Champlin Arms in Enid OK, lightened the triggers on my sidelock Thys and they were just the weights I asked for and a great improvement.

I would also trust Griffin & Howe in NJ. Hope this helps.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i used:::::: Laib's Gunsmithing L.L.C.
201 North Hwy. 23
Spicer, MN 56288
Tel: 320-796-2686
Fax: 320-796-4570
pllaib@tds.net
CEO: Pat Laib
Restore & refurbish firing pin areas for all makes. Make a custom adjustable stock. Remington 3200 repairs & parts ................................................................... he did an excellent job!!!!!!!!!!!!!both triggers are set for 4lbs....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Bengo,

JJ Perodoux, co-located with Champlin Arms in Enid OK, lightened the triggers on my sidelock Thys and they were just the weights I asked for and a great improvement.

I would also trust Griffin & Howe in NJ. Hope this helps.

JPK

John, what trigger weights did you have JJ adjust to?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, 3 1/2lbs front and 4 1/2lbs rear. I used proper trigger weights to test the break when I got the rifle back, but that was quite some time ago, several years. I will test them again when I get a chance if you or others would like the info confirmed.

Front trigger is crisp and clean, the rear has just a tiny bit of take-up. The rear feels heavier than it is, I believe because of the change in finger leverage from front trigger to rear.

I picked these weights for two reason, btw, first is that that is what I have my SxS shotguns' triggers set at and second, 3 1/2lbs is a good weight for any rifle (Except maybe a varmit or target rifle), not too heavy, not too light and I shoot front trigger first.

No issues with doubleing from finger slap or at all. And recall I'm a lefty and "reach" over the rear trigger to pull front trigger and fire the right barrel.

I would not have had the triggers taken to such relatively light weights if my rifle didn't have intercepting sears, which for all, are secondary sears, one for each barrel, which prevent a barrel from firing unless the appropriate trigger is pulled. But I would go close to that light now without intercepting sears, with the experience I've had.

The change in trigger pulls made a HUGE improvement in shooting the rifle. Accuracy went way up, and percieved recoil went way down, shooting the same loads. I believe the percieved recoil went down because the rifle fired when I expected it to, not after a prolonged and distracting tug of war with the triggers. They were something like 13lbs front and 8lbs rear, with the rear gritty feeling.

hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't let any ol' gunsmith mess with a DR unless heshe knew about DRs.

JJ is the first person I would go to.

Also, there is a guy in the Houston area who is Purdey trained and authorized to work on Purdey guns. I forget his name, but I believe 400NitroExpress used him recently and was very impressed.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks John. I have all my bolts set an 3 1/4 and wasn't sure what an appropriate weight for a DR should be. I do know that several of the DRs that I've shot had what I thought were poor triggers - heavy, mushy, lots of take-up, etc.

I wasn't sure what was reasonable to expect.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the posts. I appreciate the info.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Who do you recommend to do a trigger job on my new Chapuis DR 9.3 x 74r and what recommended pull weight? Are any of the recommended gunsmiths close to me here in Louisiana?

The only person I would reccomend is JJ at Cahmplin's in Enid , OK, to do anything on a double rifle.

As to the reccomended weights of the trigger pulls on your double rifle, I would reccomend A 3 1/2 lb pull for the "UN-SET" trigger pull for the front trigger, and of course the "SET" on the front trigger is only ounces! I assume the Chapuis you have is fitted with a "SET" front trigger, most are! For the back trigger, I reccomend a 4 lb trigger pull, to avoid accidental dischearges by the trigger finger slipping off the front trigger, and slapping the back trigger under recoil. The accepted order of fire is RT barrel first, LFT barrel second. This proper sequince of RT, LFT, RT, LFT, is because they were regulated that way, and is the reason the set trigger is always on the right trigger, and never on the rear trigger.

I'm sure you are already aware of it, but to use the "SET TRIGGER" it is pushed forward, till it clicks, and this turns the front trigger into a very light "HAIR TRIGGER", for a very percise shot!
thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like heavy 4 or even 5 lb. triggers on a double rifle, as long as they break crisp...that way I don't have them thumping me twice at the same time.

There is no proper sequence as far as I can tell in a double rifle, I always shoot the rear trigger first..I have tested this out on a bunch of rifles at the suggestion of Butch Searcy and it has never made any difference in accuracy on any rifle that I have shot..and it keeps them from doubling...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote