Find
Notify
Tools

Which 9.3x74R Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am posting here because more 9.3x74R shooters are likely to see this post here. Which 9.3x74R brass do you prefer, and why? Also what experiences have you had with Hornady and Nosler 9.3x74R brass?

Thanks.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like RWS cases.

Old Norma brass is kinda light and no where near as robust as the RWS stuff. New Norma brass may be made the same place ... not sure.

Sorry, no experience with Hornady cases.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I've only shot the Hornady brass and I have had pretty good luck with it.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used RWS, Norma, and limited new experience with Hornady.
Good results with RWS and Hornady.

Case head seperations with NormaFrowner

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like RWS by far the best. Norma the worst, and all of my Nosler "factory" 9.3x74R's loads ARE Norma brass!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hornady or RWS. I have a bunch of Hornady. It's good stuff!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not load much 9.3 ammo as it is cheap enough that I will normally just buy factory ammo.

But with my limited loading experience I have not had any issues with any of the 9.3x74R brass.

With any rimmed bottle neck cartridge you need to be careful you are not setting the shoulder back more than necessary.

I will start paying more attention to the Norma brass, but so far it has been OK for me. My Norma brass is all made within the last few years.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l have used Hornady 9.3 brass in my Ruger #1 with no issues. Hope to try it in a double shortly Big Grin

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The old Norma brass had issues,the new Norma brass has no issues at all,I have fired hundreds of rounds with the current production brass and no problem at all.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Norma brass started shipping as components after the first of the year. It is the same as the RWS now. (Made on the same production line.) The new brass comes in boxes of 20 rather than bags. Midway is supposed to have some in stock now. I have had good luck with Hornady brass once I started neck sizing to the point it looks like a small secondary shoulder. My chamber is so sloppy that if I full length size any brass I get case head separation after one or two loadings. That is a result of the European philosophy of making sure that any factory round will always chamber in the rifle.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Ive had no issues with either Norma or Hornady brass in any caliber including 9.3x74R. And I've reloaded lots of both multiple times.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I've reloaded lots of both multiple times.

Just out of curiousity, do you check them with a chrony to compare with previous reloadings on the same brass? Are there any differences based on the brass having been used any particular number of times?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
quote:
And I've reloaded lots of both multiple times.

Just out of curiousity, do you check them with a chrony to compare with previous reloadings on the same brass? Are there any differences based on the brass having been used any particular number of times?

I can't say that, once I have a particular load worked up, that I chronograph it again unless I change components or the primer/powder/bullet box/canister changes. I do re-chrono if it was unfired brass the first time since the capacity will be a bit different after firing it even though I full-length resize following. Are you thinking that the as the brass is used, it thins so capacity goes up while pressure goes down, all else being kept constant? Probably so but to be honest, I've never checked. Good thought, though.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it. Although the case mouth and its effect on the crimp is what I actually had in mind, maybe causing pressures to get erratic. With some guns that can be a problem. But, whether the 9.3x74R is one them I couldn't say.