New
Find
Notify
Tools

New double rifle build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to have Bailey Bradshaw build me one of his new double rifles I am looking for help. I need help on picking a all around caliber, it must be rimmed and the ammo must be easy to locate, and should be able to handle anything but the largest big game.

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Cant go wrong with the 9.3X74R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get a 450-400 and that will handle anything but doesn't kick as much as a light 9.3. Some of those little (7.5 pound) bastards smack you hard. Then later you won't wish you had more power.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rnb,

Regarding "...the ammo must be easy to locate..." and
that the rifle is for all but the largest game makes me
ask do you want to exclude only the elephant? Or, are
you also excluding hippo, rhino, lion, cape buff, leopard,
the biggest white and brown bears and American Bison
too? Maybe the 45-70 is your best bet? Are you NOT re-
loading at all?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

He reloads, but doesn't want to pay $5 a piece for brass.

My vote is for the 9.3X74R. The rifle will weigh about 9lbs with a scope, so recoil won't be too abusive. Hard to argue it's effectiveness, availablity and...it's pretty cool looking. :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would lean toward the 9.3X74R. The main reason is I think it will be trimmer than the 450-400. I would talk to Bailley as you can specify what weight you want. I would have it fitted with one of his scope mounts. I would think 8.5 would be nice without the scope. You will have a great rifle that will work on anything including the occasional ell.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, good choice. I was contemplating on having my 2nd in the set chambered to 303 British, but the "hole" between a 500 NE and a 303 British is pretty cavernous. Plus, a DR isn't a long-range weapon, so a 9.3x74R makes the most sense for a "light" rifle.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would recommend 9.3X74R too or the 375 Flanged mag.

BTW I was scanning an old issue of the DGJ and saw this article on the Hagan(??) falling block DR in 375 Flanged made by a former Hartman & Weise gunmaker based in Canada. Beautiful rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please all these orders coming in to Bailey
I will never get my first 6 rifles done.
For now just buy 2 Ruger #1's and duct tape them together.
I have Luxus getting my second piece of driftwood picked out.
Bailey get them whittling tools out.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have two double rifles chambered for 9.3X74R, one an O/U with facility for a scope, and the other a S/S Merkel 140E-1 So I think you can see my opinion of double rifles chambered for the 9.3X74R.
One thing I'd mention here is My Merkel weighs in at 8.3 pounds with Iron sights and came with a solid butt plate. It simply rattled my brain with the unexpected recoil till I installed a Pachmayer Decellarator recoil pad. With that in mind I don't think I'd want a 6.5 or 7 pound double in that chambering especially with a solid butt plate!

The caliber is a very versatile one and for all of North America's wild life it is top of the line, and in Africa I would say it is perfect for the cats over bait, with a good lighted scope, and I'd not hesitate taking cape buffalo with it, with good hand loads with a proper bullet. The 9.3X74R is a good down range chambering as well for even large plains game. With practice you will be able to make good hits at some fairly long range shots!

I use my Merkel 9.3X74R 140E far more than all the other doubles I own! It is just plain fun to hunt with! If you want a larger double in future don't get rid of the 9.3 because it will make a fine pair with a larger double for the big boy elephant. My travel pair are a pair of Merkels, the 140E-1, 9.3, and a 140-2 Safari 470NE!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after reading all the responce I will go with the 9.3x74r I have a double rifle in 30-06 and another on in 375 H&H so this is the middle ground. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnb:
after reading all the responce I will go with the 9.3x74r I have a double rifle in 30-06 and another on in 375 H&H so this is the middle ground. Thanks

rnb,

Am I understanding correctly that you have a Double

Rifle
in the 375 H&H belted magnum caliber or in H&H

flanged magnum? (in addition to one in 30-06) If that
is the situation 9.3x74R is not in the middle. Confused bewildered Confused

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym 55b in belted mag and I know it not a rimmed case but I have never had it fail to eject the fired cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://heymusa.com/55_b.htm

I always find O/U's to look So ELEGANT! Do you
have a Q D Scope set up for it?
If you have BB make you a SxS in 9.3 won't it, &
the 375 be in each other's space so to speak?

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it came with the old style soldiered on half scope rings with a modern 1x4 nickell scope and its a lot of fun to shoot too

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two choices come to mind..The wonderful 375 Flanged and the 450-400-3"..I see no other option based on your post.

The 9.3x74 is a fine caliber, but a tad on the weak side or shall we say very borderline for buffalo, Hippo and definatly not for elephant. The .375 H&H IMO is not a double rifle caliber and can and has jumped the ejectors or extractor, whichever the case may be. I believe all doubles should be on rimmed cases.

The best of all doubles IMO is the 450-3.25, it has tolerable recoil and is more than suitable for any animal on this planet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of the possible problems of a belted case or rimmeless case with a double rifle, but I have never had any problems with either by 30-06 Browning or 375H&H Heym. So if I ever go hunting over seas I would never hunt any of the big five(wife bought new $400,000.00 house the week I was to retire) anyway so if the I do have problems it woun't matter when I go I will only be hunting and shooting plains game and as for the 375 H&H it being a border line caliber on the larger animals my grandfather went in the early sixty's with two H&H double rifles one in 375 H&H belted and one in a 470 NE caliber and he later told the Grandkids that he shot all of the big five with the 375 H&H. He later told me before he died that he hated the recoil of the 470 NE so much he only fired it about 30 times. So I guess like cars everyone likes different things

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rnb, ( wow, that looks so much like mb !)

So which animals will you absolutely NOT hunt
for with this new Bradshaw Farquharson double?

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was able like some of the members here to be able to hunt dangerous game trip after trip that being said I am way to cheap to hunt the dangerous game so no Buffalo, no hippo, or lion and no way would I spend the money for a elephant tag, I want to go to Africa only once because at my age I am 63 and still work full time I will never have a second chance , this means the gun will probably end up in the safe after that one trip I will use it only to get ready for the trip and the trip itself. I will then probably go back to a a single shot rifle you got to remember I live in KS and there only large game to hunt is deer .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I think you should shoot it there in Africa and HERE TOO!
Heck if you go 9.3x74R you can hunt every thing in North America
and at least one of us on AR has shot Elephant with that round.
Lock it away after Africa; NO!!! SHOOT THE DANG BARRELS OUT!!!
shocker flame shocker

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RNB
Think positive Iam 64 and I am having Bailey building me 450 NE.
As for Africa hey you only live once. Go for one of those Jumbos on a PAC or Use permit
usually less than 10K. Once you go to Africa you will want to return
On the double I would not go smaller than 375
Maybe a 416 Rigby
Good Luck
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote