New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large peep on double.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like the weight a feel of a double, but the sights give me fits. a scope is a choice but since they are mostly 100 yard guns Why not a large peep to help out tired eyes. On a well fitting rifle a large peep is as fast as it gets and works better in poor light, lets you see more of the animal. I am talking a plane jane hunter not a 40000 purdy or H&H.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, the sights on the Merkel are pretty bad. What is needed is a good set of express sights, which are not provided on new built doubles in the under $20K price range. A wide rear V with platinum center wire and an .080" platinum bead. That's how I have mine set up. My eyes are terrible too, but I have no trouble seeing 'em, and they work quite well in low light.

I was playing around with a ghost ring on a friend's rifle last weekend. In anything but bright light it would be useless for me.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years back I had a postwar Westley .375 H&H droplock with a peep at the rear of the rib, also had a few express leaves, you could fold them all down and lift up the peep which, by the way, had no adjustments. The hole was about the size of a Lyman 48 with the disc out. It was OK. The rifle, however, was a horror, extractor and ejector trouble.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J D,

When I bought my Searcy I managed to talk Butch (Searcy) into adding a modified Tally peep sight. We left the "Express" rear blade in place and set it up so the peep looked over the top of it and used a taller front bead. That way by just putting the lower front bead back on and removing the rear peep the gun is back to a "normal" DG configuration.

The peep works great for me, it's fast and accurate, plus I don't have to worry about being able to see the rear sight.

Hope this helps...

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Searcy with a peep sight, and
it is great!!

Posts: 142 | Location: chicago | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of peeps are there out there for use on a Searcy Classic? I worry a lot about that also.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote