New
Find
Notify
Tools

CEB Bullets in doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these bullets safe to use in a modern double such as a Heym, VC, or Searcy?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
When I had a Merkel double in 500NE, I wrote to them and asked about the use of Barnes Banded Solids. The email response was that "there were perfectly safe to use in their rifles and I should have absolutely no worries."

I wrote to Verney-Carron and asked the same about Barnes Banded Solids - I received the exact same response.

I never wrote to Heym when I had one of their doubles and I've never had a Searcy so never asked Butch.

Given that Michael and Sam pressure tested CEBs in Sam's 470NE, compared the pressure tracings to that of BBS, Woodleighs and some others and found the CEB to generate lower pressures at the same or higher velocities, I am assuming that to be true in other calibers.

Therefore as far as I am concerned, if BBS are safe per the manufaturers in their specific doubles, CEBs are as well.

But, that is only my perspective based on Merkel and Verney-Carron responses to BBS which seem to generate higher pressures than CEB.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good perspective, thanks.

Always like carrying a couple of solids with me when moose hunting in case of the classic "Texas heart shot" Smiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If you shoot TSXs or North Fork cup cores, you dont solids for Texas Heart shots on anything short of an elephant or rhino.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CEB was designed to be as safe or safer than any other bullet available solid or softpoint cup and core or mono. Now I not going to say that it is but I'll shoot them in any double I have including older period guns. Go to the B&M web site of Michael458's and look at the strain gage test we did and make your mind up for yourself.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

Here is a direct link to the test work done, which should help help you out.

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...--Double-Rifles.html

There are lot's of downloads pdf there for you as well. I think you will find this helpful.

I did another rather extensive barrel strain test in .458 caliber and here is the direct link to that as well.

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...rel-Strain-Test.html

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
If you shoot TSXs or North Fork cup cores, you dont solids for Texas Heart shots on anything short of an elephant or rhino.

I've shot plently of moose, caribou, deer, and one grizzly with solids and am pleased with their performance. Shot a couple of big bull moose with my double, but not with a solid.

michael, thanks for the links. I enjoy listening to the voices of experience. Another winter loading project to help me pass the cold months away.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Yeah if Jorge hangs around with me long enough I will have him sold on a good solid and how it can work for you, regardless of game being played! I keep trying, but his head is a little hard sometimes, good fellow and all however! HEH HEH HEH....... Keep the Faith Jorge!

Snow, been there done it, used solid second follow up on griz and it worked like a charm. Did not know it at the moment, I did not need it, but was glad I had it to follow up with, put a swift end to the issue! Solids are good, especially good Solids! LOL

Hope the links help!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote