Find
Notify
Tools

Late 40th bday gift
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
For those who forgot to get me a gift in Nov for my 40th birthday I will forgive you if you will have this sent to my home! I dont mind if several of you go in together.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100090307

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We already chipped in and had it sent to you. I am really concerned now, are you saying the box never arrived?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Darnit! No box, once the claim is settled with the shipper Sam Rose has a nice Adams & Co 577 BPE listed on NE.com I would settle for!

Seriously, I have for some time had an attraction to these old underlever/exposed hammer guns. I would like to aquire one some day to use on cans,jugs,rocks,North American game and maybe plains game in Africa. Not sure which make or caliber so I am open to comments and suggestions from you gentlemen.

What are "rebounding hammers"?

Any reason to avoid a Damascus barrel?

Any caliber I should consider over the others?

Which maker would yall consider more desireable? I have a Holland & Holland signature SOG Multi tool that would look nice accompanied with an H&H BPE! Snowwolfe, Champlins just happens to have one! Big Grin

It seems to me the same rifles are still listed and not selling. Anyone here make the same observation or am I just not watching close enough?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rebounding hammers retract off the firing pins. Non doesn't and you need to half cock before you open the gun.(think PITA) Damascus works fine for the BPE pressures. If you're worried have them xrayed to check for problems.
500 BPE is a common caliber for them..

IMO that one at Cabelas is about 3 grand higher than I'd consider. But still a nice rifle.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Other than price, there is a reason that gun is still there. For some reason it has been rechambered to a strange hybrid. Note the reference to cases made from 475 #2.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Check out Bass pro,they have a listing for a 500 BPE on sale.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Other than price, there is a reason that gun is still there. For some reason it has been rechambered to a strange hybrid. Note the reference to cases made from 475 #2.

The rim and base measurments are workable. I bet someone make 500 BPE out of the 475 #2 long ago.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote