THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Regulating soft points and solids p.o.i.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulating soft points and solids p.o.i.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

How much difference is there generally between the zero for same weight soft point and solid bullets with double rifles?

Take, for example a double barrel, SxS, 9.3x74R. The rifle is set up to shoot factory Norma 286 grain soft points, or similar, and 286 grain Woodleigh or Barnes solids.

For the purposes for which this rifle would normally be used, the range etc, would these bullets group together?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the powder charge is adjusted to give the solids they same velocity as the softs, there shouldn't be much difference at all. However, differences in bullet shape can impact regulation and zero, so it is easiest to use softs and solids of the same make, like Woodleighs.

Barnes does not make a solid that is suitable for use in a double rifle. Don't try it.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I have a vague memory of there being a problem with Barnes solids and English express SxS double rifles - barrel splits / bulges?

The bullets are too 'hard', do not compress enough and give rise to excessive pressure for the dbl.

I hoped, what with the same bullet and powder weight, things would be relatively ok. However, since the bullets would have different forms / shapes, the bearing surfaces would be different. I just wondered how much this would affect things.

I understand that even small differences make a large difference with double rifles. Mounting a scope needs to be done before the regulation for sale as this affects the natural vibrations of the rifle and hence it's regulation / p.o.i..

The problem here in the UK is we are not allowed to have expanding ammunition for medium bore rifles and dangerous game rifles (Elk / moose and wild boar). So, for practice, the rifle would have to be set up with fmj / solid ammo and at the airport, a courier would hand you a box containing the expanding ammo.

Fun and games.
Fun and games.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rather like the Chapuis double rifle. However, with the soldered barrels and conventional regulating, this might be a problem.

Could this be an example where the Blaser S2 comes into its own / shines? sofa

Apart from the hood, the manual cocking, the Blaser only has 22.5 inch long barrels. The Chapuis has circa 24 inch long barrels. I prefer the 24 inch length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:

I hoped, what with the same bullet and powder weight, things would be relatively ok.

Some people have to drop the powder charge for solids by 2 grains or so to get them to hit to the same POI, but I have been able to get away with exactly the same powder charge. It seems that vintage guns are more finicky than modern doubles.

Since you are in the UK, why not just use Kynoch ammo for your double?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should not be too hard.
In my 450 No2 I use the same powder charge with 350 gr [my 75% rule], 480 Softs and Solids and 500 gr Soft and Solids.
In my 9,3x74R I use the same powder charge with 286 Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286gr nosler Partitions, and 285 gr Hawks.
Yhey all hit close enough to use the same sight settings when hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Woodleigh softs and solids in both my of my doubles, a 465H&H and a 470 Searcy. With the same powder charges both shoot the softs and solids to the same point of impact. The solids average 20 fps higher velocity but I can't tell which is which on the targets. The individual variation between rounds of softs or solids has that much variation.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote