Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad for 600NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys
Need advice on pads for my VC being built at the moment.
The factory has proposed either pachmayer decelerator or Lyman.
They are leaning towards the LYman for aesthetics , but they say it
Is a "soft rubber" not hard like silvers type.

I am not familiar with the LYman type.

Advice please.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Limbsaver as every one I've had has turned to sticky bubble gum after a short time.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Lyman makes the Pachmayr so not sure what a Lyman pad is exactly. My $0.02, go with the red Pachmayr Decelerator Old English pad. It looks almost as good as the Silvers, is much softer and they wear very well.

[And what Sam said on the Limbsavers, I hate those pads.]

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the quick responses! I have the red pachmayer decelerator on my 500 and
Like it.
They can't get a red one to fit the 600 stock, it only comes in brown in the large size.
I was trying to get
the 600 to be built as per the 500 , making them a composed pair of sorts.

I'm thinking I'll have to go with the pachmayer in the different colour. At least I know it will
Absorb some of the sting!

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I love look of the red pad on a dark wood rifle. Is the butt size that much different on a 600 than a 500?

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Beibs:
Why do you need a pad on a .600?
Mine came one and I keep it on for a correct pull, it's a Silvers and very traditional.
But, you really don't need one, do you?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Stay away from Limbsaver as every one I've had has turned to sticky bubble gum after a short time.

srose

That was a bad batch where the liquid didn't cure. All you have to do is phone Limbsaver and they will send you brand new ones free of charge.

If you want a specific person to talk to, PM me.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 505 but I'll never use another one because it takes too much time to fit one right and then have it melt. I don't trust them.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Thanks 505 but I'll never use another one because it takes too much time to fit one right and then have it melt. I don't trust them.

+1. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I have had a number of them "melt" into my carpet, gun cases, etc. Life is too short when there are equally good options out there like the Decelerator.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as it looks like an eraser, I'm fine with any brand :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,having shot my Lott often,the purpose of a recoil pad is not to reduce recoil as it cant accomplish such a thing.It is to prevent your shoulder from being scraped the same way you would scrape and cut yourself if you fell on a concrete floor.A soft recoil pad can work against you in that, like Cal says it can reduce your LOP.I would go with a Silvers or any other ``hard pad`` made from rubber.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beibs:
Why do you need a pad on a .600?
Mine came one and I keep it on for a correct pull, it's a Silvers and very traditional.
But, you really don't need one, do you?
Cal

Cal, didn't I see you in a movie recently?...the X-MEN? Lou Ferigno says Hi :-) :-)

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
One of my better scripts.
In the next film, I glue broken glass to the steel butt of my .600. Hairy chested he man I am.
Dallas in Jan.?
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dallas, for sure, mate!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same comment on the Limbsaver. I am in the process of changing 2 of them out since they melted and were stuck to the bottom of the gun safe.

My personal favorites are the Decelerator Old English or the Sporting Clays model with the smooth heel, can be had in several different colors.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of seitenschloss
posted Hide Post
both galazans and necg have either silvers or large red pads

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick how about a leather covered pad? That is what i intend for my 600N single when complete.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, very classy.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have always used decelerators if they were installed by me, or replaced on a rifle I bought from someone else. My 470NE double is fitted with a Kick-ese recoil pad that was put on it by the original owner. I’ve had the rifle for 8 or 9 years with no problem so far and it works very well. The other double I have is a Westley Richards 500/450 has a leather covered recoil pad works very well and I have no idea how long this recoil pad has been on this rifle or if it is original. Luckily I was warned about the limb-saver so did not even think of using one. The decelerators are available in "OLD ENGLISH" red and would be my choice!

................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nick,

I also went with the leather pad on my VC. Works well and looks better than rubber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider it appropriate that a Silvers pad is a "Brick" orange/red color.

Regards;
Transvaal

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Are there other recoil pads than Silver´s on the market?

Why???

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:

Why???

Because SILVERS pads are as hard as a rock! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Pachmayr and the Limbsaver and have had no trouble with either of them. I have also seen some older Silvers orange pads turn into something resembling and orange rock. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I have determined that the pachmayr decelerator "old English" does not come in red in the large size. We need the width of the large size for my stock. I have a silvers pad I picked up from KYnoch at Sci but it is harder than granite and my shoulder is telling my brain NO WAY!!! It does look "correct" but I'm going to go with a 1" decelerator in brown and be done with it. The factory has sent me some photos of the stock mounted to the action in the white. I will post some photos in the next couple of days , but it's looking pretty good.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick, if you look at the sales brouchure from Atelier VC you see that they present their Azur Safari PH model with a brown pad. I think it looks very nice.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks NOrwegian, I will check it out!

Nick

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Did you have no interest in their leather recoil pad? Theirs is a bit different from the more traditional pad, such as Butch Searcy uses, but it seems to be very functional. It's thin, but nicely done, and seems to get the job done. I can send some pics if you're interested.

I'm talking about the factory leather pad from VC, not that huge leather pad I had put on my VC 577NE aftermarket. That one was done simply to extend the LOP.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think the ideal recoil pad for the 600 is a decelerator pad and Mike Jines shooting the rifle while I stand behind him and watch!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Nick,

I also went with the leather pad on my VC. Works well and looks better than rubber.

I'm sorry I didn't do the same.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
A photo of your leather pad and thickness measurement would be much appreciated!!

CCMDOc what pad did you put on yours? Photo please? You feel that leather was a better option?

Cheers guys

Nick

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by husky:

Why???

Because SILVERS pads are as hard as a rock! Big Grin

Have a Silver´s on my .505 Gibbs -works wonderful and a steel butt plate on my Webley & Scott 450/400 3 1/4" N.E.

no need for anything else -but i am of course a viking Smiler

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I have seen those heavy waterproof leather outer garments the Viking sailor such as Erickson wore on their mighty ocean journeys. A Viking would not feel recoil through those. In regard to the rifle with the steel buttplate and the one with Silver pad, I suspect that one cannot tell the difference against their shoulder as the brick red color Silvers is at least as hard as a brick. Jesting, of course---but not that much.

Transvaal.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hey Nick,

I'm on a mule deer hunt in Colorado with Aaron at the moment. As soon as I get back home, I'll snap some pics for you. Remember however on the size measurements, mine is on a 500NE so will likely be a bit smaller. I'll get you some close ups but we can start with this one just to give you a bit of an idea what it looks like:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,
Best of luck on the mule deer!!!

Nick

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Todd,
A photo of your leather pad and thickness measurement would be much appreciated!!

CCMDOc what pad did you put on yours? Photo please? You feel that leather was a better option?

Cheers guys

Nick

Hi Nick,

Here are a couple of photos I have. I can try to take and post a few specifically of the pad later today.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc
That looks like the brown pachmayr decelerator?
More picks would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
CCMDoc
That looks like the brown pachmayr decelerator?
More picks would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Will do

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
With flash

Without flash

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here you go. Picture of the VC 500NE's leather recoil pad!

BTW, scored just after noon on day 1 with Aaron Neilson on the mule deer hunt. Damn short trip. Drove to CO Friday, shot my deer on Sat, drove back home today!