THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    set trigger for first barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

set trigger for first barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How common is it to see a set trigger for the first barrel on a double, especially in the larger calibers?
Is it a modern development considered heracy by the pureists and does having a (front) set trigger still allow you to have it articulated as well?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Xpress,It is very common to have a set trigger on the right barrel, on double rifle up to 9.3X74R,but the trigger can't still be a articulated, or at least I've never seen one that was!

The fact that the set trigger is not articulated is the biggest reason the set trigger is not fitted to a big bore double rifle with a lot of recoil. For me, I would rather have the set trigger than the articulated trigger for all double rifles up to 500NE! I have never had a problem with the front trigger hitting my trigger finger. The set trigger is valuable for a longer, or more precision placement of the first shot on an animal that is unaware of your presences! All my doubles that are 9.3, or smaller have set triggers on the right barrel! None of my doubles, or any I've owned in the past above 9.3 has had a set trigger. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mack, I bring it up because I was looking at the Perugini & Visini website and noticed they offer it on all the doubles as an optional. When I called to ask for a price on a double .470NE with the set trigger they were a little taken back, but said they would do it if I really wanted.
Incedently they asked 18,000euro over the phone for a custom built to fit double in .470NE, but I am pretty sure you can get them to do it for around 12,000euro with a bit of negotiating or buying something already in shop.
Thing is, that seems like a hell of a lot of money to me. Famars wouldn't give me a price over the phone, neither would Zanardini. I really loathe this practice.
I'll talk to some of these guys at the EXA next month and hope to find something for reasonable money.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

I own an A&S Farmars and it is a very nice rifle. But I was warned away from buying a rifle that I couldn't put my hands on, physically, now. The warnings, from several reliable sources with no skin in the game, are that too much promise and not enough delivery make your rifle more expensive than promised, delivered a heck or a lot later than promised.

From the numbers, I assume you are speaking of boxlock rifles, the range being from $28k down to $20k. If you are talking side locks, shut up and order!!

FYI, there is a very nice lloking P&V 470 sidelock on Westley Richards web site for $43.5k, down from $45k.

{BTW, I'd skip the set trigger and order the triggers 3.25lbs front and 3.75lbs rear and be happy as hell all day long.)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling that in the US you get both sides of the medallion in regards to doubles prices. Some are very cheap, some, very expensive. I got to the final stages of negotiating a nice P&G .470 a few years ago for 12,000eu, about $18,000USD but there are certainly no Searcy type rifles for the reasonable money he asks.
Today I saw a very very nice Heym with a little flip up diopter sight incorporated into the tang that was going for around 30,000euros, unfortunaely, aside form the price was the caliber - 10,3x60 Swiss.

Next month I'll be heading up to Brescia and looking at A&B P&G maybe Zanardini and whatever else is around.

Ideally I'd like to find something simple, used in good condition, but it's a lot of looking around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had one on a 300 H&H and on that rifle it was quite useable. On something like a 470 i don't think i'd use it at all. The 300 was a good longer range rifle where the set trigger was handy. For a stopper I doubt it would get used

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I guess set trigger comes hand in hand with smaller cal. doubles that are supposed to be scoped and shot from the bench or high seat at longer ranges - it is the only time I would find it really usefull. I have one on my 9,3 Merkel, but have used it only on range from sitting position and never on game or on range shooting offhand in standing position.

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote