New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a Krieghoff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at scoping a Kgun in 450-400. Are there other, less expensive options that the factory mount? Does anyone make a mount that takes advantage of the existing two holes drilled and tapped into the rib?

Also, how suitable is the stock for a scope if mounted as low as possible? Do you have to crane your neck off the stock for your eyes to line up? Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, I milled my own front dovetail as the factory price was way too high. Stock is fine on my 450-400. Ks have straight line stocks. A cheap way would be to drill another hole and screw on a Warne/Weaver base using the existing holes, which hold on a plug where the Recknagel rear base goes into. Make the base fit into that slot for a recoil lug and it will hold and it will work, but will look, well, like a base sitting on your rib. If you go with the factory mount, it is $375, plus you will need to mill a dovetail for the front base. BTW, my 450-400 shoots exactly the same as the factory test target,, with the scope that I mounted. You have a $12K rifle, go ahead and put the Recknagel mount on it. It will increase the value, whereas if you cobble up something else, it won't. You could use the rear notch and holes for a custom made base for a lightweight sight like the Fastfire or the Dokter sight; those are very light and don't need a long base. That might be a better option anyway as the Krieg 450-400 is a hog of a rifle as is.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I milled my own from weaver bar stock.
Search under my username.
For post about red dots.
You can see details.
Stock height is good for low mount scope.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mounting bases on top of the rib is some times not a very good idea because the rib looks like it is level and true, but in most cases it isn’t. On the K-gun you want to remove the block at the back of the rib and place a level in the bottom of the slot. Once you have the barrels level, then place the level at the point where you want the front base on the rib. Rarely will both places be level.

This deal with one base level and the other being even a very small amount out of level, will throw the rings out of line with each other, and that is not good. The rib most be milled for the front base so both slots are the same! No way around that if you want a clean mount. The suggestion to get a Docter base for the Docter optic sight, is a very good one. However any way you go, if done properly is going to be costly unless you can do the work yourself! The Docter is around $500 alone, but there are cheaper red dot sights that will cut that cost some, like the fast fire, and others. I prefer the Docter even with the higher cost!
........................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response everyone!