THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    550 grain in 450NE 31/4 possible at 2100 fps?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

550 grain in 450NE 31/4 possible at 2100 fps?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
May not get permit for 500NE so looking at other options (450 being no1 atm). Just saw woodleigh making heavy for caliber .458 softpoints and solids weighing 550 grains. Sectional density is .375 something I think is awesome with regards to penetration as long as they can be pushed up to acceptable velocity. They are made for 458 Lott and 450 Rigby, but in a falling block double chambered for .450NE they may be safely pushed to around 2100 fps? The gun will of course have to be regulated with the 550 grain loads...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no need for a heavier bullet today with the better designed bullets available.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N

What are you planning on shooting ?

A 480gn will penetrate more than most people
require.

As above, no need for a 550gn and all you will
end up doing is kicking the crap out of yourself for no real need or reason.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
N

require.

end up doing is kicking the crap out of
yourself for no real need or reason.

And the gun......
Shot my Ele with my 450 NE and 480gr CEB solid frontal brain shot exited 3 feet down the back of the spine wouldn't surprise me if the bullet was still going....

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
N

require.

end up doing is kicking the crap out of yourself for no real need or reason.

I agree for the most part with 505's statement. I would add though that you will find the 550 grain .458 bullet at 2,100 fps hitting an elephants head with much greater force than any 480 grain bullet, no matter what its nose shape is. It will be obvious to you when you experience it. Also for buff the 550 grain soft has amazing penetration. An ass end shot will reach the vitals. I don't think any 480 grain soft can be counted on to do that. The down side is that they do add a lot to the recoil level.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H

Elephant was exactly what I was thinking of
which is why I was a bit cautious with totally
writing off the 550gn.

Interesting to see you agree
re the increased recoil.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
There's tons of solid scientific data here on A/R
proving S.D. of .280 is fine for elephant on down
if you use flat tip solids from CEB, North Fork or
G S Custom.
Order the largest caliber your laws allow and use
CEB, North Fork or G S Custom bullets and by the
experiences of very credible people here, the only
concern you'll have is PLACEMENT of your bullet,
with NOTHING to concern yourself about regard-
ing the quality of the bullet's construction.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, seems like not neccesary then. Thanks guys!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Necessary? I don't know if it is or not..What I do know is the 550 gr. bullet is an awesome killer of buffalo and elephant and I like it. I belive 2000 FPS is more realistic but I don't believe in loading doubles to the limit..I believe I can see more hump and grunt with the bigger bullet on impact, at least on buffalo, they seem to shudder big time.

Of importance is will it regulate in your double and if not then stick with the 480 or 500 gr. bullets.

I have also used the 350 gr. bullet in the .375, the 450 gr. bullet in the 40 calibers and in each case I believe they outperformed most 300 and 400 gr. bullet in penetration and killing effect..I will continue to use them from time to time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
With the advent of modern bullets and especially monometals, SD is an obsolescent way to select bullets for penetration. A 270 TSX Barnes will outpenetrate a much heavier conventional cup and core bullet all day long.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is not about "how fast can you drive it?" in a double rifle. Simply put, It is all about a delivering two large caliber bullets at moderate velocity with relatively low pressure to the same POI.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

Agree, Hydros and others like have shown that.