THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sellier & Bellot 286gr 9.3mm Bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sellier & Bellot 286gr 9.3mm Bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone here got experience using S&B 285gr 9.3 bullet in 9.3x74r double?

Posts: 5 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 16 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them in a 9.3x62 and found them to be soft,
I wouldn't use them on anything that bites.

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Gidai mate. Welcome to AR.

Where are you based? I am in New Plymouth.

PM me your email and we can chat.

My rifle is a M98 Simson 9.3X62

I do not use S&B but have used Norma, Lapua and Hornady 286 grs and Nosler 250 BT (old now replaced with AB). I have also used 250 gr tsx.

I have some scanned articles, bullet tests and loads to share.

quote:
Originally posted by Keewe:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are available in "Kiwiland" but I shoot the 286 grain Nosler partition in my 9.3 x 74r double with great performance and accuracy!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter - I am just North of Akl, thanks for info and offer, will send you pm
Keewe

Posts: 5 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 16 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used those S&B bullets in there different Chapuis side by sides, 2 UGEX's and one RGEXusing the same load as I've used with Woodlieghs, Norma and Hornady of the same weight. The first did not react well to the same load with Speer 270s. I used the same overall length and same primers. There was no appreciable change in POI or apparent regulation issues that I could detect. The first of these Chauis was very fussy with regard to powder changes, both to type of powder and volume used. The other to were not as cantankerous. I have not used Speer 270s in my current RGEX.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes that and Hornady is all I use; they work great on anything in this hemisphere and since the 9.3 can't be used on DG most places, premium bullets are a waste. I have also used hundreds of them in 9.3x62s; they kill hogs and bears quite well.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal experience in S&B SP in 9.3x74R exactly, but have experience in different calibers with "same" SP bullets from S&B. Soft and fragmenting. A lot of old and poor hunters use S&B SP and SPCE ammo here. Only because they don't know anything better or anything better is out of their price limits. And yes, S&B is made in the country I live. I will never ever shot it for hunting. I will always choose Swift A-frame, Norma Oryx or any premium bonded bullet/ammo.

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I failed to mention that only I shot one whitetail with this bullet. Checking my log book, it was a doe at about 80 yards on a slope. The deer was at an angle and down hill from me at the shot, bullet entered the front of the right shoulder angling to the rear of the left shoulder,exited and reentered the left hip just forward of the hip socket and managed to clip tke right ham on the way out. She weighed 146 field dressed. Great for penetration and ground meat, poor for roasts. Bullet buried in the ground on the other side of the hollow. The shot took a chunk off the front edge of the shoulder blade, a rib on the other side and broke the left hind leg. Deer went about 50 yards.

Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keewe:

I have used several hundred 285 gr S&B 9.3 ammo in my 9.3X74R Merkel mod. 140E-1 double, and they kill wild boar very well dropping 300 pounders in their tracks with little meat damage. They regulate very well in my Merkel.

The above are shot from S&B factory ammo. I always like to find a factory load that regulates well in all my double rifles, so I can use factory when I don't have time to load some before a hunt.
.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do not give a tinkers damn about meat damage; I want them dead, on the ground, as fast a possible. These do that on anything I will use a 9.3 on. I am one of the poor hunters referred to above, who does not use the modern solid brass bullets. No need for them for me.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote