THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "I Just took a trip to Heaven...and didn't even have to die"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I Just took a trip to Heaven...and didn't even have to die"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings from South Africa...

Those of you who are country and western music fans will recognize the title of this article as the firs t words in the C&W song, “Trip to Heaven,” by Freddie Hart. And so it was when I flew from South Africa to Alaska in early May. The reason for the trip was to attend grandchild- ren’s graduations: one from UAA and the other from Chugiak HS. The Chugiak ceremony was on the 5th of May. And lo and behold, the day after was the Alaska Double Rifle Shoot. I got in touc with Cal and told him I’d like to attend and bring two “workhouse” doubles with me. However, I couldn’t bring any ammunition. Was there any way to reload. Rob volunteered to furnish all of the components and gave them to Cal. Cal and I scheduled the 2nd of May to get together and reload. Since Cal works as the full-time substitute at a local school, he told me to go to his home and get to work His mom answered the door, took me to the basement reloading room, and I set to work. Here I was in the reloading den of the “Dean of Double Rifles.” What a privilege! And I had to yet meet him in person. Cal got home at 4:00 PM and we had a good visit and finished reloading.

Cal lives in a beautiful log home. It is decorated in true Alaskan style. One salient feature was his Lionel model train layout in the loft. It is a huge collection and operating pike in immaculate condition; and it’s for sale at a very reasonable price. Cal has stated that he will personally bring it to the buyer and set it up. So, if you are interested, please contact Cal.

That evening it was my pleasure to host Cal and his mother for dinner at a local lodge.

What a trip, what a privilege, what a great experience! I just took a trip to Heaven.” Thanks Cal; you are indeed the “Dean of Double Rifles.”

Colonel Dave Nuss
NB Safaris
Plas Rietfontein 249
Sterkrivier 0630, Limpopo Province
South Africa

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
]Thanks Cal; you are indeed the “Dean of Double Rifles.”

He is indeed the dean of double rifles, and a great author as well! All his books are worth every penny to a double rifle fan!

That was a great trip Eagle one! my two favorite places on Earth, Alaska, and Africa. Of course being born in Texas that place is dear to me as well.

…………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
my two favorite places on Earth, Alaska, and Africa

tu2

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, gents, and I hope to see everyone at next year's double shoot. MAC: I've been waiting on you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show! Hope to make it next year

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote