New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd fastener on Searcy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wondering why Searcy doubles have no 3 rd fastener like a greener cross bolt or Dolls head type?

Is this beacuse of better modern steel, better tolerances, more robust 'under the water table' (bigger chopper lumps and accompanying Purdey fastening lugs??)

Are there any other modern NE doubles that also forgo the 3rd fastener?

I always thought the 3 rd fastener was crucial on a SxS especially due to the twisting/non-alignment of barrels to centre axis and lockup of barrels, and 'opening' of the action under firing pressure. Can anyone compare a Searcy with another modern 3rd fastener gun and having them shoot off face after years of use and many shots?
(Searcy certainly seem to carry a very good reputation in my limited knowledge).

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most searcys are made with a stainless steel action wich is by far stronger than any old british double rifle thats why he can forgo the 3rd lock up.

i had a 700 nitro and in only a 3 monthes i shot around 500 round through the gun and it stayed tight and accurate that more round than most people would shoot in the dr's in years.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Keyaker, His early doubles made on Browning BSS actions had third fasteners added, and they are still around with thousands of rounds of ammo fired through them, with no ill effect!

His current line is evolved from his first actions made by him on CNC equipment. The steel he uses is a very strong stainless steel for the action body, and if history is any indication, needs no third fastener! I have handled, and shot a lot of his rifles, both fairly new, and some that have had the hell shot out of them, and I've never seen a loose one, or even slightly off face. The rifles are super accurate, and there is nobody in the buisness that stands behind his product the way Butch Searcy does. They are value for money spent, IMO!

I don't believe the same money can buy you an equally well made double today, and I know you won't find one more accurate! His rifles are gaining in popularity daily, and it is all I can do to not sell some of my doubles, and replace them with Searcy's! I would dearly love to have a matching set of his double rifles, chambered for 375 H&H Flanged, 450/400NE 3", 450NE 3 1/4", 500/416NE,470NE, and 500NE, with consecutive seral numbers. Numbered #1,#2,#3,#4, #5, and #6 all cased the same way! If I hit the lotto, that will happen, I assure you! thumb beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer is that it's cheaper to build them without. In my view, double rifles should have a rib extension of some type. I don't see 3rd fasteners as having any value unless of the screw-grip type. The Greener cross-bolt type seems particularly ineffective.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Is there a resource that details all of the types of Third Fasteners?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Within the last 45 days:

Butch sent me photo's of his 577 NE with rib extension.

And he told me he does all 577 and 600 rifles with a rib extension.

He says these big calibers need them.

He also told me if I wanted a rib extension on a smaller caliber he would do it for a very fair upchage of $500.00.

Chapuis has no 3rd fastener.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I have a William Douglass .470 and it has the Purdey third fastener and a mate has a Merkel .470 with the Greener cross bolt fastener which one is better? All I know both rifles work with no problems after hundreds of rounds

Steve

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the thread about the Camp Cooley Shoot, you can see the rib extension in the 577NE by www.searcyent.com.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote