Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X??? DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted
How do you decipher the stampings on the bottom of this "new" (to me) DR. I guess the 9.3 is the diameter but the other numbers are a mystery at this point. It'll be here in a couple of weeks so I can't do a chamber cast yet.Bottom

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mike, are there any markings on the water table? ( top side of the action, under the barrels) This is where you will find more information, usually! I'd say, looking at the way the bottom of the barrels are made, this looks like a very old rifle! Probably a dovetail barrel jointing. My guess with no more info that I can see in the picture, it is most likely a 9.3X72R, but could be almost any 9.3!
Let us know, when you get a cast done, what you find!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pics at this point of the water table. I'm not nearly as experienced as everyone else on here but I'm guessing that the .04 is the year fo the build. The proofs are also a mystery. I'll let you know more after it arrives.
Here's a pic of the whole rifle.Full Length

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
from the proofs on the barrels, and the over all looks of the rifle, it seems to be German, and that would be what I would expect in an old rifle chambered for a 9.3 cartridge. The Germanic "EAGLE over a crown" mark is diffinetly German, but I'm almost sure it was made before 1904. I have a H. Berlla made in Berlin in 1898, and it has all the info as to nitro cordite load,bullet dia, and case length stamped on the bottom of the barrel set. This was required by 1898, but I don't know how much earlier than that. I'm waiting to hear the final verdict on your rifle. I collect German multi-barreled firearms!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I guess we'll have to wait for a couple of weeks before I get my sweaty paws on it to find out any more.
From the pics of others of this vintage and from what I've gathered from the searches I would have thought that it would have been marked 8,8 over 72 or something similar to show the caliber.
The water tables on my 500 BPE does show alot more info than the barrels.
I'll let you know more when I get it.
Mike

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: