New
Find
Notify
Tools

•405 Winchester
 Login/Join

Picture of foxshot
posted
There is a cracking Little •405 Winchester on the market,Double barrel hammerless boxlock ejector rifle made in Belgium. has a 15" stock, 24 1/4" barrels in Calibre •405 Winchester. It has an articulated front trigger, figured stock in swans neck form, weigh 7lb 12oz and is nitro proofed, in good condition,

WHAT IS IT WORTH, ?????? and can i get rounds good factory rounds, would it be a good gun for driven boar?

Please help, Cheers, FS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 19 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxshot:
There is a cracking Little •405 Winchester on the market,Double barrel hammerless boxlock ejector rifle made in Belgium. has a 15" stock, 24 1/4" barrels in Calibre •405 Winchester. It has an articulated front trigger, figured stock in swans neck form, weigh 7lb 12oz and is nitro proofed, in good condition,

WHAT IS IT WORTH, ?????? and can i get rounds good factory rounds, would it be a good gun for driven boar?

Please help, Cheers, FS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I know the rifle you are looking at, and it is worth the price they are asking! The rifle, and chambering is perfect for driven boar hunting, and is perfect for bear,red Stagg and Moose hunting as well. It is light for cape or water Buffalo, but will work! It would definently be a real user in the hunting fields of the USA, where everything one would need to use it is available with a credit card number, and phone call!
Hornady is loading factory ammo for this cartridge,, but I have no experience with it! IMO, any double rifle is a handloading rifle, so as to get the best it has to offer. Cases, and bullets are easy to come by, and loading dies are easy as well. I've looked at this rifle myself, if it is the same one, and it's been hard to resist! It is a lovely little rifle! Let us know if you pick it up, and how it warks on your driven Boar hunts! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perish the thougt.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 405 DR. But that is not a DR round.

For a DR, better to have a 9.3 x 74. All you need, really.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Perish the thougt.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 405 DR. But that is not a DR round.

For a DR, better to have a 9.3 x 74. All you need, really.

Jim, I already have two 9.3X74R double rifles, how many do I need?
rotflmo
Whether or not one needs it, that is a very nice little rifle, and for USA woods hunting it would do the job fine! Wink

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who made it? There is a BIG difference between Lebeau-Courally and Raick Freres! Razzer
BLE, so it's probably not L-C, CRYBABY is it something delightfully scrumptious and enigmatic like Le Forgeron? Wee, wee? Confused

Picture of foxshot
posted Hide Post
Great advice there, what I really need to know is what you may pay for a rifle like this and how do I up load pictures so I can show you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Go to www.champlinarms.com then click gun vault, then click double rifles, it is the third one down! the only marr is someone scratched the letters "M L" in the trigger plate!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Picture of foxshot
posted Hide Post
Almost MacD37, it is very similar , the wood is not quite as nice as the one your thinking of, it seems to have little use and much less money, would it be a good first double!!!

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac

I lost my head for a moment there! What was I thinking? Confused

Need has nothing to do with our affliction, er, sport.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxshot:
Almost MacD37, it is very similar , the wood is not quite as nice as the one your thinking of, it seems to have little use and much less money, would it be a good first double!!!

Cheers

I think as Jim says a new rifle chambered for 9.3X74R would probably make more sence,and cost less, but that little rifle is a nice piece.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You need another 9.3x74 - you have one for each hand and you need a spare Big Grin

The 405 is the ultimate lever gun caliber. Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Medicine". Best thing about a lever gun is you never take it off your shoulder. But I digress.

If the temptress is not relenting, buy it. And bring it to a DRSS event.

You will either be pleased with your purchase or buying an ass-kicking machine. But if it is what you want, go for it.

I am sure that Mac is now looking for a way to carry another 9.3 X 74 in his shorts. Sorry Mac, these guys talk SO much. By the way, Ernest has deals on his Texas covey.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one at Champlin has well layed out stock of quality walnunt, but that's about the only thing I like about it. It looks like 4,500-5,000USD gun to me. I hate that caliber, and it pains me to say this, but it would make a very good driven boar gun.
I also hate the 9,3x74R, but sure do like the .375FNE a lot, go figure. Wink

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:
Who made it? There is a BIG difference between Lebeau-Courally and Raick Freres! Razzer
BLE, so it's probably not L-C, CRYBABY is it something delightfully scrumptious and enigmatic like Le Forgeron? Wee, wee? Confused

The action looks very much like my Belgian Janssen Sons & Co in caliber .333 Jeffery Flanged.
A caliber that i consider as superior to both 9.3x74R AND .375 H&H Flanged, atleast when you use 300 grain bullets with a SD 386 at 2150 fps!

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the metalwork looks vintage Syndicat des Pieces Interchangeables of Liege to me. The buttstock sure looks out of place on this one, very nice.
Some Texan will jump at Tedy's fav caliber and that wood, no doubt. Cowboys luv good wood almost as much as the Italians. Wink