New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's first 470 target
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally found the time to get out with my Merkel 140 470NE for the first time in over a year. Wanted to shoot through a box of Hornady factory DGS's for some brass to reload. My first left/right off sticks at 50 yards.

The remainder were shot off hand from 25 and 50. Nothing to write home about, but some solid 6" groups. Looking forward to reloading and working up some loads for this rifle. Also thinking quite hard about changing out the factory 1/2" recoil pad for something a bit thicker.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A little shorter front sight and you are good to go. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good r/l group. Were you holding center or at 6 o'clock? Yes, a one inch decelerator pad works wonders.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. That was a 6 hold, just under the bull.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a 6 hold, just under the bull.

Looks like it's sighted for the front sight to be spot on the target. That will bring the group up. Nice group...Merkels always seem to be well-regulated.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Solid! My dad and I shot the lifesize buff target last weekend. Blasted that beast with a 375, 450 and 458 and it still kept coming. Cheap Hunt, only about $60 ammo and had a ball.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that if you speed that ammo up a bit, those holes will come together more. Unless the left hole is the right barrel already. Nice shooting

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

X2 yep that's what you need!!!Good shooting

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 450NE Hornady ammo that I have chronied has been slow 1990 and 2004fps out of 28" barrels

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
The 450NE Hornady ammo that I have chronied has been slow 1990 and 2004fps out of 28" barrels

Faster loads will shoot even lower for the distances most double rifles are shot at.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:My first left/right off sticks at 50 yards.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

The elevation on the target depends on how the rifle was rested on the sticks! The grouping is fine if the left bullet hole is from the left barrel. It is very difficult to asses the group for regulation with only two shots fired, one from each barrel, and not labeled!

I’d say you are very close as is, and I’d be reluctant to change anything till you do some four shots from each barrel to find the individual barrel group centers from a good rest properly holding the fore end with your hand, or forearm on the sticks.

Looks very good so far!
......................................................................... tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Mac, should've been clearer. Left hold was left barrel, right was right. Held the forearm with my left hand and then rested my hand on the sticks.

I'll make sure to shoot some groups as you described next time I get out. Going to start reloading this week for it. Going to try 500 woodleigh sifts and Barnes tax'so (both 500gr), and H4831sc and R15. Need to find some filler for the R15 loads, any suggestions? Looking towards 1/2" caulk backer from Home Depot, how long do I cut them??

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:
Sorry, Mac, should've been clearer. Left hold was left barrel, right was right. Held the forearm with my left hand and then rested my hand on the sticks.

I'll make sure to shoot some groups as you described next time I get out. Going to start reloading this week for it. Going to try 500 woodleigh sifts and Barnes tax'so (both 500gr), and H4831sc and R15. Need to find some filler for the R15 loads, any suggestions? Looking towards 1/2" caulk backer from Home Depot, how long do I cut them??

....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only cut the plugs 1/16th longer than the air space. Just to keep the powder in place.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I only cut the plugs 1/16th longer than the air space. Just to keep the powder in place.

Thank you. I'll probably load some up mid week when I'm not working. I'll let you know how I make out.