New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a Keeper!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As mentioned on another thread, took possession of a 9.3 X 74R Sabatti yesterday from Cabelas and wrung it out on my range today. The results were great with the right barrel shooting about two inches under the left barrel at 50 yards. The front trigger is a lot stiffer than the back, so believe this is a contributor to the lower point of impact. I have a good triggerman who can match the trigger pull I am sure. The stock, LOP, is also a bit long so will have my stock guy shorten it up and replace the funky recoil pad. With these two minor fixes and some serious load development should be a winner.

Also of note: Didn't shoot off of a lead sled.

Cal Pappas, the "ring the bell" test also proved to be good, and thanks for the tip at DSC. This thing is a hoot to shoot so pretty well hooked on this double rifle thing. I now have two 9.3's (CZ 550FS) that are the cats meow. Thanks to all who have helped with tips and suggestions.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good; glad your rifle is a good one. The three I have owned (and own) all were well built and good shooters.

Posts: 17271 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for ya. Gotta let us in on the ring the bell thing though?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm..... I guess I could've worked with my Sabatti 45-70 and some hand loads to bring it up to par???? But then again, I wouldn't have found my Chapuis 9.3 ... Wait....damn !!!!.. I could've had BOTH !!!! 2020

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Larry or Cal, can you expound on the "ringing the bell" you speak of? thanks!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
This is just a simple test to check and see if the solder along the ribs is solid.
Dismount then tubes from the frame/forearm. Hold the hook and tap the tubes with a platic screwdriver handle or wooden handle. It'll ring like a bell if it's in good shape. If it's a dull thunk sound then the ribs are loose.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike/

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dropped the Sabatti off at my smith this AM. Measured and fit for correct LOP and he will install a Med. Red Pach. Will also match the trigger pull, front trigger is about 2# heavier than the rear. He thought the targets I brought along were from a "target rifle". He said I had a real shooter and all that would be needed when he finished is a "little" load development. Great news, now have to wait a couple of weeks for him to finish.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a good buy and a good rifle.
You dont need to pay 30000 for a rifle to shoot.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George. That's all I have claimed about my Sabatti purchase. 1) Got the rifle for a steal of a price and 2)it is a very accurate shooter. I guess the combination of these two facts upset some folks? Confused I think it's great!!

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a keeper.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry - I have not heard anyone say that the Sabatti is not a well put together DR. People can bitch about the regulation issues, but if you have one that shoots, then enjoy it for what it is...

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JDA and will truly enjoy working with this little double. I really do appreciate all the help and encouragement from some here.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

T
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
Congrats Larry - I have not heard anyone say that the Sabatti is not a well put together DR. People can bitch about the regulation issues, but if you have one that shoots, then enjoy it for what it is...

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it Larry. My 470 is also getting a new pad and a white bead on the front sight. Can't wait to get it back.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom - I really didn't take time to play with the sights on my rifle as I was interested in the regulation and used a scope for this. Mine does have the fiber optic sights so will check these out when the gun comes back and make a decision on how to set up the irons.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
Enjoy it Larry. My 470 is also getting a new pad and a white bead on the front sight. Can't wait to get it back.