New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Double
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not a rifle, but I saw this yesterday and it was kinda interesting.

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Search.asp#106758

It is a double proofed for ball and shot. Looks to be in good shape. I had never heard of the maker (J. Breddel) and frankly haven't seen a lot of Irish guns. This one had a Dublin address, I believe. Just a plain boxlock and probably overpriced at 2500, but it's not a real common piece.

While examining the gun, a couple of things I noticed were 1)how light it seemed, but it is for ball and not slugs, and 2)the barrels looked odd, almost like H&K polygonal rifling. After I left, I realized that these two things probably indicated that the barrels had been backbored. The residual markings from the reamer would leave the spiral look, and the metal removed might account for the light weight. There was a bore guage on the counter I had used on a couple of other guns, but didn't check this one.

Anyway, it was interesting, particularly how well the sights worked, as minimal and unobtrusive as they were.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried the link, and it won't work as is. Apparently the parameters aren't passed with the link. Go to the link shown, and then scroll down the manufacturer's list to J. Breddel and Sons, then do the search. It will be the only one listed.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the makers name is BRADDEL

they were / are located in dublin but never made any guns. their guns were made by bentley & playfair in england. today they sell fishing gear & clothes-no guns.

i had owned a buck & ball gun of their make and it had an "invisible" type rifling - sometimes called scratch rifling. the best way to see this is -not - looking thru the bore, but by looking at the muzzle at an angle from the side.

these were lightweight but powerful guns capable of killing anything you would use a 12 bore on today.

like the paradox guns there are not a lot of them around. the price of $2,500 is pretty good if it is tight on the face. i have a manton with invisible rifling that is for sale at $3,000 and has an old repair to the toe of the stock.pics available if anyone is interested

NOTE ; THESE ARE 2 1/2" CHAMBERED GUNS

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's spelled Braddell, a top name in Irish gunmaking from Arthur St., Belfast. Are you sure those were not rifled chokes like those found in 'Paradox' guns?
I would try stoking it with 410gr and 380gr Eley slugs. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, they were not rifled chokes in mine .

you can easily test for this invisible rifling by driving a slug through the barrel. the rifling shows faintly on the slug.... and you cannot insert the slug into the muzzle unless you align the rifling.

thanks for the correction on spelling - its been a long time since i had that gun

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Cogswell and Harrison "Cosmos" ball and shot gun at Tulsa in the maker's case.
Great condition. Sold it for $3000 10 minutes later to a friend of mine. He has it sold now for around $5000. Quite a jump for the original $1300 I paid! The grooves looked like scratches in the muzzle area.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote