THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A nice German pre-war double 8x57R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice German pre-war double 8x57R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just sold here today on a on-line auction here in Denmark for a very good price of aprox USD2700(with salary)

Sideclips, engraved, set-triggers etc. If one look away to from english doublerifles one can get a lot of vintage doublerifle when getting a German double. This one with 99% guesimate is a `J`bore(.318"). The barrels are are 66cm(26") long. Normally the barrels on early German doubles are 23-24"

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What brand is the scope, BTW? The angular, compound-lens logo looks a bit Hensoldt but the sides seem too straight. The button lock on the turrets is an interesting touch I've only seen previously on an early Nickel - but their branding was completely different.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
The action looks to have been made in Suhl, as many of those actions had the side clips, scalloped rear of action, loaded chamber indicators, and Greener crossbolt (Though this bolt is square).
There also appears to be compartment on the bottom of the rear of the butt stock. For tools, ammo, ??
A well used Sauer and Sohn double in .45-90 with many similarities sold at auction in Sweden a few years ago just before I could bid on it. Darn, I have been looking for one of those to complement my Winchester 1886 .45-90 and they are few and far between.

Can you tell the makers name and confirm where made?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Jens,
Should no one on this forum be able to definitely identify this rifle, would you consider posting these pix on GermanGuns.com and ask for help ?

In my experience, that is the very best place to post such question about German guns.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Love that rifle! Thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll risk pissing off the anglophiles with the following. Careful selection will buy a Continental made gun that will stand up to English make, at a much better price.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Jens,
Should no one on this forum be able to definitely identify this rifle, would you consider posting these pix on GermanGuns.com and ask for help ?

In my experience, that is the very best place to post such question about German guns.

The double was sold by E.Kettner. He was a big sporting good dealer before WW2. Like Mantons, Kettner recieved his guns from diffent makers and branded his own name on them.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I'll risk pissing off the anglophiles with the following. Careful selection will buy a Continental made gun that will stand up to English make, at a much better price.

Dave

Could not agree more

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Jens,

The double was sold by E.Kettner. He was a big sporting good dealer before WW2. Like Mantons, Kettner recieved his guns from diffent makers and branded his own name on them.

Jens, I've owned a few Franz and Ed Kettner drillings, two of good quality, one of exceptional quality. The price on the double is amazing! Would have jumped on that. Thanks again for posting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I really like it, except the hand guard and cheek piece have to go. Both are hideous to the lines of a proper DR.
Prices have dropped farther than I thought.....

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a great price, even with added cost of permits and shipping to the USA it would be a steal.
I agree with Tom......have to use the added cheekpiece and handguard for fire starter.
-Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the cheek piece is a real turn away on this DR (which was a wonderful find for some lucky person) however, whoever built the cheek piece was a very clever and accomplished gunsmith.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I really like it, except the hand guard and cheek piece have to go. Both are hideous to the lines of a proper DR.
Prices have dropped farther than I thought.....

You missed out the most hideous, that monstrosity of a scope needs to go too. The Europeans have never learned the meaning of words practical and elegant for scope mounting. I think the term used in the languages of Europe is carry handle barf

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Except that it appears so old it lacks weather-proof caps, Eagle, I'm afraid I can't see your problem with the scope. The calibre is 8x57 rather than 577NE, and the large objective should help in the dim light of Continental forests. The mounts are (now) well apart, so any leverage from the ocular being bumped should be minimised within the db possibilities.

Once again, Jens: what brand is that scope?

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Except that it appears so old it lacks weather-proof caps, Eagle, I'm afraid I can't see your problem with the scope. The calibre is 8x57 rather than 577NE, and the large objective should help in the dim light of Continental forests. The mounts are (now) well apart, so any leverage from the ocular being bumped should be minimised within the db possibilities.

According to the auction its a Zeiss scope.

https://www.lauritz.com/da/auk...iffel-8x57/i5500500/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good rifle, and fine price.

Scope looks like a later model early 80s ,due to look of quick adjustable turrets,or bdc on it. Original scope probably gone somewhere in history .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

According to the auction its a Zeiss scope.

https://www.lauritz.com/da/auk...iffel-8x57/i5500500/

Thanks Jens. I had thought that 1.5-6x might be from soon after WWII, as the late-'30s models usually had turret-locking set screws and the most-common later reticle-movement Zeiss and Hensoldt models have friction-held knobs with no clicks, covered with metal caps.

But as PerH points out there are gradations shown on this one and the lettering indicates some definable amount of movement equals 2.5cm at 100m. The double adjustments also suggest a later scope. However, the eyepiece looks pre-1976 to me and if the scope is in fact reticle-movement, BDC seems less likely as it would take the reticle well out of centre.

And yes, the scope may be much younger than the rifle, as the claw base between the other mounts suggests a shorter scope was used at some time.