THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Transit & storage cases for doubles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transit & storage cases for doubles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
I have a pair of double rifles (with a third on order) and am looking at the best ways to store and carry them.

I have been considering buying a couple of leather double rifle cases, for storage and show, but do not want to use these for transporting my doubles on hunting trips.

For transporting my doubles, I am considering buying one of the short Pelican gun cases and cutting the foam to the correct shape for each of the components (spare shotgun barrels, scope mounts, etc). While this is a great option for airline transport, the resulting size and weight may be a bit of a problem. I guess that full protection for my doubles is not going to come in a lightweight and compact form, and perhaps I just have to accept that fact.

But I am also looking for something suitable for day trips, short hunts in the local area, often in someone else's vehicle where space may be a problem. Would a quality, padded gun bag, designed for carrying disassembled doubles, be the option here? What quality bags are available specifically for double rifles?

It seems to me that I need three (3) different types of storage/carrying of my doubles! Confused

So I just thought that I would see what the double rifle owners on AR use - what is your solution to the problem of storage and transporting of your doubles?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spent some time experimenting on this question. Leather cases are good for show and maybe to take on a car trip where they will be treated with some respect. I have them for two of my doubles. For airline or rough travel I do what you suggested with a pelican case and cut foam. My test here is if you aren't prepared to toss the cased rifle off the table 4 feet onto a concrete floor it isn't good enough. The pelican passes, some aluminum cases might (with case damage) nothing else does. I also have both the Boyt and SKB takedown soft cases that I have used in the field. You may have to shop around a little, most are for shotguns and are far too long

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more thing. The Pelican case is often lighter than a quality leather case (at least that is true for both an H&H and Searcy case

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'VE TRAVELLED WITH AN AMERICASE ALUMINUM CASE WITH 100 % SATISFACTORY RESULTS SINCE 2000. THE DOUBLE RIFLE FITS NICELY AND THE FOAM IN THE TOP HOLDS IT IN PLACE WELL. MY CASE HAS THE OPTIONAL CORDURA COVER WHICH PROTECTS THE CASE AND KIND OF DISGUISES WHAT IT IS.

I'VE TRIED ALL KINDS OF CASES AND FOUND THIS THE BEST

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I bought a Pelican Hard Case and a Size small soft take down shotgun case. I take the foam out of the Pelican and put the Double Rifle in the small take down. Then I take a soft scoped rifle case and take my bolt gun out of the stock and put the receiver in the soft rifle case. I add another soft case for the Double for in the hunting truck, I put the stock from the bolt gun in this. This gives me a hard case I can manage in the airports, yet both rifles are protected. I can stick a few small objects in the pelican and still be underweight for the airlines.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been using the Tuffpak and will again to Tanzania in Aug. Once with a Manton 470 and once with a Demas 577 in the last year with no problems.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the take down Tuffpak.

My second choice would be a takedown Pelican or Hardigg case.

Aluminium cases get just too bent up over the long haul for me.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been considering buying a couple of leather double rifle cases, for storage and show, but do not want to use these for transporting my doubles on hunting trips.

Why? It is waht they were made for and do it better than anything save the "security" aspect. But that can be solved as I suggest below.

In UK we used to have an outer canvas case that fully enclosed the leather case for long travel. My gun is still in its original leather case it was supplied in to my late father in 1919. The only repair was a new handle this year.

My advice would be to maybe have a "bespoke" or "custom" outer aluminium case that just takes the leather case complete. The leather case is best to protect the gun, the aluminium case protects the leather case.

And with the "brick" of the leather case inside it will be less likely to be dented or knocked out of shape. If so, so what? Most local craftsmen can repair it or make another quite quickly.

No need to worry about any cut-out save a long flat rectangular one.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would a quality, padded gun bag, designed for carrying disassembled doubles, be the option here? What quality bags are available specifically for double rifles?

Unless in a fitted case carrying a gun disassembled is a recipe for dents, wear to finish and scratches to the stock.

Leg of Mutton cases were notorious for this and were very bad for wearing the black from barrels and the colour from fences of actions.

I would use a standard side by side shot gun slip and just carry the thing put up (assembled) if that were the only option. Again maybe in a full length aluminium case that has a gun slip shaped cut out?

If you visit UK eBay you'll find lots of gun slips for side by side doubles. Some modern and some old with a "blocked" (shaped like a cup) leather end designed to fit the muzzles.

Best of luck in your search! You might find a better selection of double gun cases again on UK eBay.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly rercommend you do not travel with your double "assembled". It is much less likely to be damaged while broken down.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew and we arrived at the airport early. We spent some time in an empty terminal and watched some guys unload a plane. There was a long ramp with a metal stop at the end. They were just throwing the items on the ramp and they slid all the way down and crashed into the metal stop. Then the next item crashed into the one before it and so on. Something to think about.

Personally, I've had good luck with the Hardigg Storm cases but Pelicans are great too.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just go to AMERICASEand click on their "Drop Test Video" at the bottom of the page. You will be amazed and surprised how a little momentum can jam a rifle or scope up against the inside of a case.

You spent how much on a hunt? How much on a rifle and scope? You spent how much time and money handloading and getting it all sighted in and just right? And you put all your dreams in a case that won't protect your dreams? Tell me it ain't so? Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardigg Stormcases have better latches IMHO then Pelican. Otherwise, the two are pretty closely matched.

Have the foam cut (or do it yourself) for your disassembled double rifle and stop worrying about damage.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Tuffpak is the best choice for numerous reasons. Check their website for lots of info and endorsements.
http://www.tuffpak.com

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pelican cases for me. But if I was buying one now it would be the Strom cases because of the better latches.

For "semi-local" hunting where you don't need to fly, the very best and most compact way to carry a double rifle (or two) is an English motor case (or SxS shotgun or two.) These are not the flat "trunk cases" but are vetical. Much more compact and the lid doesn't need an acre of space to open.

I have an old double motor case originally for 26" barreled shotguns. It works well for double rifles and you can block the barrel channel for a custom fit. The sights make an indentation into the padding and felt on the underside of the lid, but no issue.

Jeff's Outfitters has them amoungst others.

Here is a photo of a one gun motor case. ~$200.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com...os//c-lmotorcase.jpg

Here is a two gun case: $250.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com...ase_motor_pair_2.jpg

All leather is a bit more.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote