THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Docter red dot QD Talley mount.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Docter red dot QD Talley mount.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello

As you may remember from my 20 bore DR build thread.
I have a very talented gunmaker at my disposal.
I wanted a Docter red dot mount to mount on the integrated Talley 1/4 rib scope mounts on my rifle.

Here is the progress.

The QD lever will be Talley style.
He is making a few, PM me if you would like to contact him.

Thanks Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Don't all the red dot mfgr's use the same base? What's the final cost going to be?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mike

Docter and Burris use same bases.
Trijicon uses their own.
Don't know about the Optima Red dots, or the Leupolds and others.

Update 12/12/12

Base is done except the Cerrokote.

Enjoy, I will.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's looking very good!
Either post or PM the price and availability please!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can you show me a picture of the rib modification>

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Well done!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
tu2

Nicely done! When I get there I'll be sure to order one from you. Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Rib as requested.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Are these made one-at a time or is he working up code for the CNC?

I like it!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Well we are finished.
It is Cerrokoted.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are these made one-at a time or is he working up code for the CNC?

I like it!

He's got a CNC in his shop I'm pretty sure that's how he does them.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Gentleman,
I am the one that made the Talley/Doctor base for nitro450express. The base was made on my CNC out of 7075-T6 Aluminum. The lever is steel.
I have the programs finished and have made quite a few prototypes. I have just finished one that will mount on a Double Rifle quarter rib that has the Talley mounts cut in it. This mount will also mount onto a standard Talley Base. This means that it can be used on a bolt gun as well. I am trying to gage the interest in a mount like this. If you are interested please let me know. I am going to be making another run starting this week and would like to know how many to make. I am also making a version with a simple screw knob as well, this will be less money.
I only one left for sale and will be posting pictures here later tonight and will be listing it in the classified's. I will not sell it in this forum as this is not the place for it.
YOU MUST PURCHASE IT IN THE CLASSIFIED'S. FIRST COME FIRST SERVED.
Thank you!

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excelent work I must say, thanks for the offer.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
Excelent work I must say, thanks for the offer.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Malek,
Thank you very much sir.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
As promised here are the pictures of the finished mount.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
For your next project do the same thing for a Ruger #1 tu2 which also works for some of their pistols.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Dirk

Excellent work as usual.
You can leave mine un modified.
The only gun I have with Talley style mounts is the 20 Bore.
All the others are Warne.
Or ruger.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tested this on a hard kicking rifle to shee how it hold up? Just asking.

Nice job - looks cool! Good luck with the initiative.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If two Talley bases will hold a scope then one of these will hold that red dot.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
Has anyone tested this on a hard kicking rifle to shee how it hold up? Just asking.

Thank you. I have tested this mount on everything I have in the shop. This is a .375 H&H up to a .500 NE. It has never even thought about coming loose. There is a positive engagement with the recoil shoulders on the Talley mounts. Because of this, it is physically held in place under recoil. If the lever is left loose or the two screws attaching the sight to the base are loose all bets are off.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a base for the Dr. Optik that will fit on an 11mm rail?

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

If anyone knows how to make a component that will stick onto a hard recoiling rifle it is this guy. He has TONS of double rifle /other heavy rifle experience both as a builder and a repair guy.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
What a timely thread.

I am looking for some way to mount a small red dot sight such as a dr optic, burris fastfire etc. to my Merkel 141 E. It currently has leupold QR bases with the QR rings attached to my leupold 1-4 power scope.

Is it possible to make a base for the red dot sight to fit to one of the QR bases?

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
What a timely thread.

I am looking for some way to mount a small red dot sight such as a dr optic, burris fastfire etc. to my Merkel 141 E. It currently has leupold QR bases with the QR rings attached to my leupold 1-4 power scope.

Is it possible to make a base for the red dot sight to fit to one of the QR bases?

Regards,

Carpediem

Yes, it is very possible. Please send me a pm if you would like more info.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
h2oboy:

pm sent.

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr L. S. Wirthlin:
Does anyone make a base for the Dr. Optik that will fit on an 11mm rail?

Check with New England Custon Guns.

I think Recknegal makes one.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote