THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Question about reloading doubles quickly/rims clearing standing breech
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about reloading doubles quickly/rims clearing standing breech
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
One thing I have noticed when reloading my double 400, is that when broken open to reload, it does not stay open quite enough to clear the rims over the standing breech. You slide the cartridges in, then pull down on the barrels slightly and they drop in. When opened, they rebound just a bit to their relaxed position which is a bit shy of perfect. I remarked on this to bobc when we were at the range and he said his Hollis did the same. I am curious if this is common, or indicative of a potential problem. It does slow down the reloading process. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Lots of looks, no one else has this problem? Where is 450 no2 when I need him? LOL.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee440,

I don't have this issue, my DR stays fully open. I have to say that this is something that I'm not prepared to answer other than with a swag. I have a couple of shotguns that do as you describe but IIRC the all stay open enough to clear the 12ga rounds - but there is a little "rebound" with the action when it is fully opened.

I think it has to do with either the timing of the cocking rods for the ejectors or the locks and I would probably have it attended to since it would drive me NUTS! Seems in one of the rare worse case situations it might actually be dangerous.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee
I know what you are talking about.
Try this, when you break the gun open open it fully, the weight of the action and stock should hold it open far enough to extract the shells, and insert new ones.
If it always springs back I would ask JJ Perodeau about it, as it could be a cocking timing issue.
If I open my doubles slowly sometimes that happens, but never when reloading while hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My rifle has extractors and I am practising reloads by opening and rolling the rifle upside down and the empties fall right out. The rebound is "springy" and feels like the cocking levers are the culprit. I will probably drop the floorplate and observe it in action to verify it.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a right hander when reloading, hold the opened gun by the barrels. The weight of the action and butt-stock will keep the gun open far enough. Extractor guns are handled in exactly the same way as ejector guns during the reloading cycle. There's no rolling, inverting, flipping (sorry Mr. Boddington), jerking, or anything of the sort.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro. Not sure I understand. How do ytou get the empties out of the chambers? If you don't pick them out, you must either tip the gun up or tip it sideways, no?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter:

The barrels will naturally tip up very slightly slightly when you reach for the reload from between the fingers of the left hand. That clears the chambers. Same motion as with an ejector. There is no need to tip it sideways or pick the cases out with the fingers.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee,
My rifle does the same as yours. It is a common occurance!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
OOO Kaay, one thing I have learned in life is that there are no absolutes, what works for me, may not work for you, and vice-versa. I try not to let my considerable ego get in the way of learning a better way to do something. On the flip side, I would expect someone to assume that I am not a complete fool, and may have actually tried a few things when encountering a problem. I am new to double rifles, not so, double shotguns, bolt rifles, 1911s, FAL, AK,AR,etc not limited to assembling, barreling, chambering, headspacing, action mods, restocking and so on. Last weekend, I achieved a first for me, in putting a very nice Bonehill hammer gun back on face by TIG welding and recutting the front lump radius so that she locks up tighter than Dicks Hatband. I say this only to establish that as an enthusiastic amatuer, I am used to appyling logic and perserverance to solve and overcome problems with guns. I am never too proud to ask for assistance, because nobody knows everything! This rifle will not allow the rims to clear whether held by the barrels or the butt. It is, at this time, a two handed operation. It is a matter of only a few thousandths clearance and I will solve this problem. Rolling and flipping as Boddington describes does allow clearing the chambers quickly, and is the method I will use until I figure out how to fix it. Boddingtons double was an extractor gun, I wonder if he had the same problem?? I appreciate the feedback though I may be a little sensitive to criticism, it is a character defect that I am working on !!
Thanks, Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa, don't stop yet. I've never owned or used a double rifle, but it sounds like an adjustment problem to me.

I imagined that with two rounds in the left/forward hand, the right thumb would open the lever, the weight of the barrels would open the action with a flicking action of the right arm, the hand stays put while the left inserts the new rounds.

If needed with lee440's problem maybe a slight flip up with the right arm would lower the barrels that extra bit to push the new rounds home. Same trick if pulling the empties out.

With ejectors you can then stop the empties disappearing somewhere, if need be.
Well it worked with my shotgun anyway. Some critics reckond I was "straining" the thing, but ones arm with that weight on it acts like a controlable spring.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee,
Don't be sensitive, we are trying to help.
My double has always been a "two handed" operation. I have ejectors. I have on occation had to push the barrels down after ejection to push fresh rounds in. I've never considered it a problem.

Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Mine is the same way if you don't let the entire weight of the barrels hang free and sometimes it still needs a little help.
Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 901 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
Peter:

The barrels will naturally tip up very slightly slightly when you reach for the reload from between the fingers of the left hand. That clears the chambers. Same motion as with an ejector. There is no need to tip it sideways or pick the cases out with the fingers.

I suppose everyone has his own way of reloading a double, but I simply don't see the need to take the two cartridges from the left hand with the right! Seems like a wasted motion, to me! Confused

The right hand loading must work for Mark, because I've seen him in action, and he can certainly re-load the chambers of his rifle in short order, and shoot what he's looking at! I just happened to have learned a different way, that works better for me!

I load dirrectly from the left hand, both barrels simultanously. My right hand never leaves the trigger/pistol grip area of the rifle. At the top of the recoil arch,of the second shot, I simply open the rifle, and let the empties slide out! Holding the rifle in my right hand,at the pistol grip, the weight of the barrels holds the rifle open, while my left hand simply drops the two fresh cartridges into the chambers at the same time. This is a little different than the way I used to re-load, but I had cancer in the forefinger of my left hand, and had to have deep surgery to get rid of it, damageing the nerves. I used to place the two cartridges between the first, and second, and second, and third fingers of the left hand. I now place both cartridges between the fore finger, and second finger of the left hand, and it works even better than the old way, for loading both barrels simultanously! I'm still a little slow at this new way, but it will be faster once I get some practice!

The cartridges in my culling belt are on my left hip, where my left hand naturally drops to,while the rifle is held by the right hand around the pistol grip! I haven't noticed my barrels not opening enough to let the empties slide out, or the new cartridges slide in! I do, however, have an O/U shotgun that does give a problem in that area! I think this is a timeing problem, and I'd be prone to have JJ remedy that before I needed to reload quickly with a Buff looking over his nose at me, off the end of my barrels! Eeker

I had one double, fitted with ejectors, with this problem , before the ejectors were disconnected, but not after. Ironiclly, the shotgun that gives this problem is fitted with extractors only. The barrel set is simply not heavy enough to hold themselves down! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac:

The wasted motion is having to pick up the loaded shells you'll drop doing it your way. Wink Big Grin
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everyting else just burns gunpowder."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ejector doubles and an extractor double. With both doubles I carry extra rounds on the buttstock, and extra rounds in a belt. Both made by Murray Leather.
Ejector guns: When in a hurry ie under durress I load off the buttstock first, I let the shells sail off into the brush. When time is not a factor I "capture the empty brass, put it in my pocket, and reload off the belt.

Extractor guns:When under duress I open the action, pluck out the empty[s], and drop them at my feet. Then reload from the stock.
When not under duress I pluck out the empty[s], put them in my pocket and then reload from the belt.
I have on occassion, opened up my 450 No2, and given the open gun a violent jerk backwards, causing the shells to "fly" out, then I reloaded. I do not use that technique very often but when hunting in a blind or sitting down it works pretty good.

Use what ever method works for you. I know that extra shells on the buttstock works best for me.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Until I see video proof, I cannot believe Tony has ever let a spent case from any of his doubles hit the ground!
Big Grin hijack

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will admit I dropped 3 450 No2 casses on the ground and one live round all on purpose when shooting and chasing a giraffe. Why a loaded round, I pulled a soft poing out of my belt by accident, noticed it before loading it dropped it and loaded a solid. All were recovered after the kill. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Boys,

When we get together for the next DRSS meeting we are going to have a couple of shooting contests to see what works the best for speed and accuracy. I have been working on a couple of ideas. Bring extra ammo!!!

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote