New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for MJines...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I really enjoyed your hunt report, but something that's been in the back of my mind that I wanted to ask you about was your choice of the scoped 416 over your 500 double. You cited the thick cover as your reason for sticking with the scoped bolt.

"I took the .500 NE but the brush was so thick I felt more comfortable with a scoped rifle. It was hard enough to pick them out with a scope much less open sights. Maybe a double next time."

My impression from reading the forums for over a year is that thick cover equates to closer quarters, and the perfect opportunity to use the double. If not in that situation, when?

I'd just be interested in your comments, and those of any of you other experienced double users.

Again, awesome hunt and three awesome buff.

Thanks, Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
In my own experiance a low powered scope is more precice for a sports hunter (non PH back up) in ether thick or thin cover.
I just enjoy hunting sometimes with an open sighted double, not because open sights are any easier, they are just fun to use.
All sporting fun Hey.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Btglfer,

I was under the exact same impression. However, several months ago I had an email exchange with JudgeG on AR and he wrote the following:

". . . I'd take the first one with a gun with a scope. Here's why:

It can be frustrating as heck to be 30 yards from dozens of buffalo in the brush and not be able to pick a path through the heavy brush or tall grass because you only have iron sights... or perhaps just as likely, have a 60 yard shot on a great dagga boy with a difficult quartering shot... and not quite have the confidence to do the deed (when, with a scope, you could have hit him in the eyeball).

As you know, I'm a great fan of doubles and think that they are the cat's meow on elephant (because you'll only be shooting at 20 yards on in), but I'd go ahead and put a buffalo in the salt with the .416 and then take up the double for the second animal... Last year in another Selous block, I had opportunity after opportunity to kill buffalo at 40 to 60 yards and just couldn't get a shot with irons... a scoped .375 would have ended that quest on the first morning..."

I found JudgeG's advice to be spot on -- so much so that I used my scoped rifle on all three buffalo. It is hard to imagine how something as large as a cape buffalo can so completely blend into the brush -- but believe me it can. Couple this with the fact that the brush makes it difficult to determine a clear shot path and that to me meant I should use the scoped rifle. In addition, my third buffalo was taken just under 100 yards. We were also at an angle where I needed to shoot him in the neck. With a scoped rifle this was a piece of cake.

After the hunt I was talking to one of the PH's about the double. I think a double is a great idea for someone that has hunted buffalo before and who would not necessarily go home disappointed if they were not able to get a good shot opportunity with iron sights. For me, on my first buffalo hunt, I wanted all the odds working in my favor and that meant having a scope that would allow for picking my shots in the brush, longer shots if necessary, etc. I am sure that everyone looks at this question differently, but I was simply more comfortable that I could handle whatever opportunity presented itself with the scoped rifle.

Mike

P.S. Thanks JudgeG, your advice was spot on.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like this would have been an ideal situation for a good scope in claw mounts on the double

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
sounds like this would have been an ideal situation for a good scope in claw mounts on the double

...........Absolutely!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid that I am not quite ready to shoot a .500 NE with a scope.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Thanks for the thanks if that makes sense???

And Mac is correct... that's why I have Butch Searcy building me a .450/.400 3" with QD mounts. I'll have my cake and eat it, too!

My Incipient Searcy

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This is the reason I am selling my Merkel 470 and on the waiting list for a Searcy 450/400 with a QD scope.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge:
Perhaps you meant "Eat my cake and have it too!"

Dutch

Hold Center

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for your reply. I figured your answer would have to do with doing what you're comfortable with under the circumstances, as it should be for anyone.

I can only imagine though, after longing for a double as many of us here do, and finally taking the plunge, that it would take some kind of discipline and sportsmanship to do the right thing and put off the christening of a new double until the time was right.

But, you can no longer say that you're lacking in buffalo slaying experience!

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I look at it this way -- if I did not use the double on this trip, perhaps I just need to consider going back . . . . Wink

Mike