New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doubles - the lead sled
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen some mention of rest, such as rthe lead sled being used with doubles. Can a double be shot safely from a lead sled and will it still shoot the same off hand. Can you use it to work up loads and fileing sights.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, works like a charm. animal
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

Most advise that a double should not touch anything other that your hands when fired. Even resting the forearm on a sandbag can change the POI.

I know this to be the case with my William Douglas .470.

Some say that the rifle stock can be damaged by the lead slead. I don't know but I for one wouldn't take a chance of damaging a fine double.

Best regards;
Brett

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The best way I have found to practice with my double is to use a set of shooting sticks.

YOu can adjust them to your height or buy the sticks from Long Grass Outfitters those are made height specific.

I rest the back of my hand on the stick holding the forearm of the rifle.

I also try to wear a Past Pad when shooting a lot at the range doing load work.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I have seen some mention of rest, such as rthe lead sled being used with doubles. Can a double be shot safely from a lead sled and will it still shoot the same off hand. Can you use it to work up loads and fileing sights.

JD

A very good way to break your stock and will probably never shoot to the regulation.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam 400 I sent my money off before I realized you was jokeing. Thanks for the reply,I just going to have to build a standing bench.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Ask new_guy about .470 DRs in a lead sled. A client of his who did that had to replace a ruined recoil pad, and was lucky to not have to restock it. They won't regulate properly that way either.

A regular shooting bench works fine. Pile the sand bags up high enough so that you're sitting up to the shot though. Hold the barrels with the forward hand and rest the back of that hand on the bags. You can rest your elbows on the bench, but nothing else.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
JD
From your post it sounds like you already ordered the lead sled. When it comes in do not put two bags of lead shot on the tray. I cracked the stock of a 458 Lott doing that within just 5 shots.

If you use it for any of your wood stocked rifles I suggest keeping the ballast to a minimum - no more than one bag of shot.

I did not try either of my doubles on mine but would agree that a shot off a lead sled would be useless as a way to work up loads for a double even if you get away without cracking it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen don't worry, I was only Messin with 400.
I had not spent the money yet. I have been thinking about one for my 375 and 416 rem.
They are 1/2 moa rifles, the sled would be good for load development. My merkel looks like it wants to shoot well. My old eyes and that 6 lb trigger pull is makeing it tough to work up loads.I am almost getting 2" at fifty with cast bullets and 2 1/2 with cup points at 50yrds.
I know that is moa of buff. My goal is to see how well it will shoot and just how close I can come to repeating that off hand.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
How much weight can be put on a lead sled without threatening to damage the stock on a bolt action rifle, say a 404 Jeffery?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I don't have the answer to your question but can say that two 25 lb. bags of shot or a total weight of 50 lbs. resulted in a cracked stock on a CZ 458 Lott.

If I were to do it again I would not exceed a weight of half the recoil energy of the rifle and I would be nervous about that.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote