THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    conversion project available
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

conversion project available
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
I acquired a great 12ga sidelock donor gun today and wanted to see if anyone was interested in becoming it's new owner when complete. If not I will do the work regardless and offer it for sale when complete.

Like mentioned its a sidelock 12ga. Has Bushed strikers, hidden Purdey third bite, Purdey double bites, double trigger, extractors, deeley pushrod forend release. The wood can be described as field grade. The action is rather squared, but has plenty of room to shape if one was so inclined. Action is Blued as it came from the factory, only the screws are engraved.

It would make a great field grade gun, or if one really wanted it could be turned into something spectacular; shaping, engraving to your taste, New stock. It only takes money.

If nobody steps up I will make it a .450ne, all the metal will be slow rust Blued, a new pad will be fitted, head glassed, and the stock will be refinished. As outlined in this paragraph I'm asking $5k. Pics in a few days.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, Here is the same model gun as what I have. This one is priced unrealistically. Never-the-less a stout action that will make a great donor. Ive ordered barrels to make it a .470NE
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100580572

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone should take you up on your project.

The CZ Brno ZP49 as pictured makes as good a double rifle donor as one can find from a shotgun. It is probably the finest designed sidelock ejector for machine building (vs. handmade) ever.

Yes, that one is priced out of the universe as bought one for $600.00 for the current (first barrels set).38-55 McPherson and second barrel sets of .375 H&H Flanged Magnum that I am building with shoe lump barrels for both sets of barrels.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Aaron can this be done in a .577 of some type, from light Nitro to maybe a 2 3/4in nitro load but use a 3in shell & cost of this work ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Its possible to do the .577 light nitro on this frame. It would add cost as barrels cost more, reamer is costlier, and Id charge more for the punishment. You're looking at around $6500+all import/export fees.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting, I have been looking (missed a couple to) for a Top Lever Hammerless .577 LN on a heavy gun & I have a couple of hammer guns, I think if I sold off my Cased Army & Navy .577 2in under lever I would be ok on the funds !

With new steel barrels I could use some of the new solids to ?

Been thinking on this for years & looking for a heavy English Water Fowler / Pigeon Gun, found a 8lb+ one to massive in the action but a real crap stock .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I don't see why you couldn't use solids. Here's this gun as example:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=1#Post231050

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
This donor gun project is still available. Would make a great 450/400 or .450ne.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
This donor gun project is still available. Would make a great 450/400 or .450ne.

I might be interested in a no frills working gun as a back up to my VC which has been problematic. Could you convert to .500?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
It's possible to get a .500ne on this frame, the hard part will be getting it up to an adequate weight.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
It's possible to get a .500ne on this frame, the hard part will be getting it up to an adequate weight.

I am not very familiar with the calibers mentioned and what are the merits of the .450ne? You obviously favour the conversion.

Would a stock replacement help with the weight?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, 450NE, pretty much the rimmed version of the modern 458Win

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .450NE gives you a plethora of bullet choices and weights. Wonderful cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend building any kind of .577 Nitro rifle on a CZ 12 gauge frame, they are too lightly built and are way too narrow. The example he shows in the link is "The Fat Lady" built on an Empire 12 gauge frame, which was probably the largest and longest 12 gauge framed gun of it's day. Also it had a Greener crossbolt where the CZ only had a sliding third fastener.
I am currently building a 45-120 on a CZ sidelock frame, and it is barely big enough for that shell. I would not have taken on the job if I had looked the donor gun over more closely before starting. For one thing, there is very little wood left in the head of the stock once the locks and the other parts are inletted, and all of that is in the horns or corners of the stock.

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
The .450NE gives you a plethora of bullet choices and weights. Wonderful cartridge.

hard to beat the 450NE

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birdhunter50:
I would not recommend building any kind of .577 Nitro rifle on a CZ 12 gauge frame, they are too lightly built and are way too narrow. The example he shows in the link is "The Fat Lady" built on an Empire 12 gauge frame, which was probably the largest and longest 12 gauge framed gun of it's day. Also it had a Greener crossbolt where the CZ only had a sliding third fastener.
I am currently building a 45-120 on a CZ sidelock frame, and it is barely big enough for that shell. I would not have taken on the job if I had looked the donor gun over more closely before starting. For one thing, there is very little wood left in the head of the stock once the locks and the other parts are inletted, and all of that is in the horns or corners of the stock.

Your opinion on .450 on this action?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Andrew do you know Sam Rose? He is very experienced with DRs and did the bullet tests with Michael 458. Several thousand rounds from 9.3 to 600 cal.

A very helpful man, understated, humble & a trained gunsmith too.

Sam has shot a few eles etc & I am sure He will give you good advise.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote