THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I am seeing ghosts...everywhere!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am seeing ghosts...everywhere!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
You can read more here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7481090541

Anyway - on Buffalo it was a difficult shot - quartering and at +- 100m, after 5 hours tracking at almost 40 deg. C, I have rested the rifle on PH,s shoulder, with a big help of last year reminders I did push that shot a bit...but under all the circumstances, it was one of my best shots taken with that rig ever:

Here is initial hit - entry, bit uphill, exit was right between the front legs, so got the angle perfect, just too low - if that hit would be 2-3" higher that Buff would be dead inside 100m. So (if anything) I only see 3 things that could be done better - I could either:

1. Mount a scope
2. Get closer
3. Get a better rest than PH's shoulder...wishes, wishes...

But after dust has settled, I wouldn't change a single thing.

And another stance where ghost sights proved their weight in gold was when we cought up with Buff on the bed...eventually guys were in a ditch a couple of meters infront and below of me, concentrating on a ground spoor, while I was looking further around. I don't know how to describe it, but somehow I knew that Buff is somewhere very near. So when Buff pulled out I was on him instantly. At first moment I recall a pic of Buff quartering away pulling himself up on his front legs - that was when I shot it with right (see pic - entry infront of his left thigh), when I gave him the left barrel he was already disappearing straight away (see pic - entry on his right thigh), before leaning to the right. Everything went just plain smooth - after doing it with dry fireing thousand of times or more I was just concentrating on bead and bullets were landing spot on...

On Bushpig - from a 40m distance I quickly delivered a right and since animal jumped the fast left barrel, that knocked the beast down. I used 293gr TUG's - first hit low in a chest would do (btw bullet did hit something on the way since it keyholed but exited nevertheless)... besides - why take any chances so the second hit it in the neck in the middle of the jump.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

Looks to me as if you've created a live long friend ... that will just get better with use and experience.

Congratulations!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. In the meanwhile I've had a sights' replica made and installed them on my .22l.r. Brno 2:

Some training action in the off-season:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse good shooting.

Is that the same nutria that we have here in south louisiana. Do y'all eat them, the ones we have here are very taste if prepared right. If you have eaten one we will make you a honory cajun.

Is that a dd or a wirehair doing the fetching.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghost rings are much more accurate than an "open" rear sight down on the barrel. I don't care for them myself but am delighted that it has given you such great results.

+1 I am leery of them for when stuff comes in close and real fast!! READ: A close quarters charge.

Really cool post though! I think Mouse is as blood thirsty as I am and I don't make that statement too often!!!

JW

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
JD the very same Nutria and the dog is Wirehair. We had aplenty Muskrat here before, untill 10 years ago (or so) a couple of Nutria escaped from a farm, now they are everywhere near water and have disloged the Muskrat entirely.

Yes actualy they are a good eat - as you probably know - tender meat (according to age) low in fat...usualy we make a goulash out of them, rarely bake them, they are a great salami or sausage meat (must add some pork since their meat is so low in fat)...so I'd be honored to became a honory Cajun Big Grin

Jeff thanks for a compliment - clockwise (seen your clips with Ivan in the Valley) you spin that .600 like a twig tu2

On stuff coming in close and real fast I found them faster then regular express sights - must admit that biggest bonus comes from a rifle that realy fits and when you throw one up sights (no matter the tipe) are already aligned so no bonus here - even more so when realy close where any sights are superfluous. However as you said they are more accurate over longer distances and don't cover the target at all - that counts especialy shooting at fast moving targets.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Yesterday at 8.25PM - came to a call - shot at 50m off hand... life is great Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to change the title of this thread to makeing ghost Good looking animal.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Dead nature

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice sights!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11234 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
By all means might be the only sights around...last of the season, quota met - farewell to the year - and by all means it was quite a year:

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to resurrect this thread, as the concept and execution are just so good!

Mouse, what are the chances that the plating on your fore-sight is Platinum?

White metal, will not corrode - could be a natural for the job.

Rgds from England!

Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for resurrecting. You have just added another project to my list. A new foresight, plus a ghost ring to fit my rear claw mounts!

That's after making a set of claws to fit a straight tube scope, tightening up some rivets on my 65 year old folkboat plus revarnishing, building a wardrobe for my daughter and trying to fit some work in around pall of this!

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set up a similar sight on one of my Chapuis doubles. I used the aperture from an XS sight. Drilled and tapped a .220-64 thread in the rib. Drilled and tapped an 8-32 intersecting the .220-64 from the breech face of the barrels. This hole prevents the plunger that releases the bolt that lock the barrel from being pushed flush into the breech face. Used an 8-32 socket head set screw to lock the aperture. This screw is short enough that is sunk below the rib face. screwed an 8-32 threaded nylon rod down tight to the set screw. Cut it flush and sloted it thus allowing the locking bolt plunger to be pushed flush with the breech face. Filed 2 flats 90 degrees from the existing flats on the apertue. It works well and looks good.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
It works well and looks good.

Dave

Dave,

Get your rump in gear & give us some photos......... please! Smiler

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian

I don't know how to post pictures. I'll take some picture and email them.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see pictures PM me your email address.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or just email me at dlclark@nwlink.com.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
This was a great thread and well worth bringing it back. I added a ghost ring to my 450 about a year ago and I will NEVER go back. Not only does it make it easier for a more accurate shot, more importantly it added years to my ability to shoot open sights with my aging eyes!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Today 8:10AM at 80m

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done tu2

Can you please provide the measurements of this ghost ring?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
To see if I liked the idea I made the site and attached it with double sided tape. Witness thru the rear site for alignment. Many rounds thru the 470 NE and just luck it was darn near right on. Removed the rear site and have been using it that way. Looks OK, wouldn't take against dangerous stuff but plan to use it for now. [IMG:top] [/IMG]

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote