Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any info about the Pedersoli Kodiak Mark IV ? I have a chance to buy an old one in 45-70. I have only seen photos but have been told it is tight and has been shot little. The barrels have turned a brownish colour rather than blue.

one of us

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought from a member here. The barrels were meant to be brown. Many truly old Brit rifles and shotguns had their damascus barrels "browned" rather than "blacked" in Brit usage or "blued" in ours. Pedersoli was tilting to the old pre 20th century rifles with their browning and hammers with the locks and color.

Pitifully, I have not yet shot the rifle. But the seller informed me that it shot well and I have no reason to doubt him. Apparently the guns are regulated with the Remington 410gr relatively low velocity load.

I will make it a point to shoot the rifle Saturday.

Some rifles are reported to have a pair of rear sights. The one I have has just one, but the "standing leaf" or the first leaf, folds rather than stands as it ought to. Easily corrected.

Fit and finish is nice. The wood is decent or better. The rifle is no light weight.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 9.3x74R with blued not browned barrels. Check the sights as I think the single rear sight is preferable.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Nice rifle. Is yours pretty heavy, like the 45/70's? Mine weighs as much as my 458 double or close.

I agree with the single rear sight, should have made that clearer in my original post.

BTW, nice pig too!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It is plenty heavy, although the barrels are a bit shorter than the .45-70s if I recall correctly.

When I hunted South Texas we had a lot of pigs most years.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote