New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screwdriver for doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been looking around for a screwdriver set (Brownells, Midway, NECG) that will work for double rifles. I can't tell you the exact size of these flathead slots but they are very thin. I know, make your own, but I really don't want to do that if i can avoid it. I have two modern French guns, don't know if old English doubles have the same dimension slot heads or not but I need tools that will work with mine. Anyone know of a premium screwdriver set brand that is most likely to include very thin heads that will work? Can anyone take a stab at what size these thin slotted screw heads that are found on doubles usually are? Dimensions are often listed for these premium gunsmith sets but the couple basic sets I looked at in person were still way too big. Thx, David

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try going to Brownells.com site and check
item 080-120-000. Very thin bits to fit a
1/4" driver. They work just fine for me.
You may have to grind some even thinner.
Good Luck
Raff

Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yeah, been there, just not sure what this super slim size is. I'll go check it out.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Top end double rifles are assembled with over deep heads and then the heads are made "flush" and a slot filed in. (This is how all screws are indexed to so slots are all parrallel to the bores, or in a few examples 90* to the bores, except of course cocking indicators are neither parrallel or 90*, but then they are not intended to be screws either.) Screw drivers are made to fit. So, for the fellow who works the bench at xyz double rifle company, who for ten years has been cutting slots with abc file and its replacements, his screw driver is made to fit the slot he cuts. His slots are not likely to be the same as the fellow at the bench at the shop down the street, though they may be close...

Morale of the story, but a screw driver that is close but too large and then make it fit by grinding, etc...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise from JPK! clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx, JPK, yes of course, excellent explanation. I should've said I'm not looking to work on my doubles per se. But I am looking to remove the buttplate on my Chapuis to install a recoil reducer. These screws are thin too. Also, might not a shop like Chapuis have some standardized within their shop?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy the screw driver that fits width of blade wise so the screw driver's blade extends the full length of the slot and then I would grind the blade thinner so that it fits the width of the slot.

Alternatively, pull the screws with the too thick blade and replace the screws with something with a wider slot.

Maybe Chapuis has a standard blade width and thickness. Maybe its even a Euro standard. Perhaps try an email?

Also, you might try Jeff's Outfitters for the horn or rosewood handled screw drivers that would often be found in a fully equiped gun or rifle case. The ones I've seen here and there - but not nessecarily from Jeff's, the ones in various gun cases, have thin blades of varying widths. Thinner for width than screw drivers from the hardware store anyway.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2triggers, that's it! Don't know why this didn't come up in a Brownell's search.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.as...t=080-120-000&s=1932

Just arrived. These are excellent and every DR owner should have them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever screw drivers you get, you must grind them to fit your gun..or have a good gunsmith do this..Its a inexpensive cure for a major problem, but only if you "use" them properly..I know guys that could screw up an anvil with a powder puff...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are designed for DR screws so this is a good thing. They are thin, wide and Brownells recommends checking for fit first, both ways, and grinding if you don't have a perfect fit. They emphasize proper fit both ways. If they don't fit they'll likely break.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I sent my double back to MK Owen for "maintenance" he returned it with a screwdriver custom fitted for the gun. He said that when he made it originally, it had a screwdriver with it! BTW the whole thing was free!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received these last week and they are great.