New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad News on Merkel DR's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As many of you know, I am a fan of the Merkel 140-1, Merkel's double that ranges from .30-06 to 9.3x74. I feel that the Merkel guns in these calibers are the best balanced and best regulated for the money, and weighing in between 8.1-8.8 lbs, they are not too light and better balanced that most others in these calibers.

I was going to commission some new guns from Merkel in both .300H&H and 9.3x74, and was waiting to hear back from our friends in Trussville on the time frame, price, etc. Then I received the bad news.---- I've been holding off on announcing this bad news for awhile so I could attempt to buy-up as many 140-1's as I could beforehand, since there are very few of these used guns available on the market.

The bad news, Merkel will no longer offer the 140-1 at all, in USA or Europe. They are eliminating options from their line, and will be staying with the 141, which is much lighter and has the adjustable barrel regulation system. The 141 is a nice shooting double and the adjustable regulation is handy, but it's a little light and stumpy I feel, but I still like it ok.

So if you can find a good 140-1, better jump on it; no more will be made according to Steyr/Merkel in Trussville. I've got mine, and I'm keeping it.

They apparently will still offer the 160 sidelock version of the 140, which weights in and balances about the same, but costs twice as much.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I’ve been preaching this for a few years now! The 140-1 is, IMO, a far better weighted and balanced double rifle than the 141. I have one chambered for 9.3X74R and it is my favorite double rifle, though I have several English, Italian, German, and even one made in Japan.
I agree with mdstewart, if you want one of the 140-1s you better pick it up as quickly as you can, because I predict the price will go through the roof once everyone knows they are no longer available. Like mdstewart mine is not for sale, and I wish I had the disposable cash to buy every one I can find!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote