New
Find
Notify
Tools

More on the 470 and cast
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got back to the range today with 5 more loads to try. Found a winner with my 500 gr. cast bullets and 86.0 gr. of RL15 with 4 gr. polyfiber filler. Didn't set up the chrono but they should be hovering around 2100 fps. Now to just make a slight sight adjustment and I'll be very satisfied.

I also shot loads with up to 105 grains of IMR4831 and they were still crossing slightly, with accuracy not as good as the loads with RL15. Also have given up on finding a reduced load with AA5744 that will regulate decently. With loads that give good accuracy from each barrel, they are crossing badly. When velocity comes up to bring the barrels together, the accuracy falls apart.

Posts: 37 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: 13 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, those PAST recoil pads that you strap on your shoulder are worth every penny. I shot 20 rounds off the bench today and felt like I could have kept going all day. Never thought they would make that much difference but I'm a believer now.

Posts: 37 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: 13 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Are those Mt Baldy bullets? Are you having any lead fouling problems at those velocities?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, they are bullets that I am casting myself from a custom mold. Alloy is a duplicate of Lyman #2, 9 pounds of wheelweights, 2 pounds linotype and 7 ounces of tin. I have fired over 50 rounds since cleaning the bores and they are bright and shiney, no trace of leading.