Find
Notify
Tools

kodiak 45/70 price
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
What do these rifles sell for? Ive seen a wide range of prices on them. I have a nice one I bought a long time ago. It sets in the safe mostly. Ive thought about getting rid of it for something i would use more often.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
What do these rifles sell for? Ive seen a wide range of prices on them. I have a nice one I bought a long time ago. It sets in the safe mostly. Ive thought about getting rid of it for something i would use more often.
Dean

What do you want for it? Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mac
I was trying to get an idea where to start. I see them listed on auction sights for $3000 but I dont see them sell for that. I have seen they are almost $3800 new. I wouldnt sell it for as low as I bought it for. I just thought maybe someone here had bought or sold one lately so i could get an idea what the market is now.
looking at the classified on here it might be a bad time I see some decent deals not selling.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
TONTO, How old is the Kodiak? The reason I ask is, there were several different versions of this rifle, and that started with the first ones that were commisioned of PEDERSOLI by Col Powasnick, of the now defunct Treal Guns Armory back in 1988. The later rifles were steadyly changed over the years, as to both handleing, and fit and finish. One of the reasons these do not sell well used is, people assume they all are the same, and that is not true! The later one with the Pedersoli name on them, and not made for someone else are the best of the lot. I have the 134th one made, and it is far different from the newer ones. The prices being different reflect the differences in the rifles,but the problem is most do not know why, because they aren't Aware there are any differences in the rifles.

I've bought several over the years, for as little as $900 NEW for the first one, to a high of $2700 used, but I've seen used ones sell for higher prices. One must remember that there is a beautiful Chapuis 9.3X74R double on the classified for $4050, and it hasn't been snapped up, mostly because it has a single trigger, but none the less...

I have one now that was re-chambered to 458 RCBS, and it is a formidable rifle on Black bear, and Moose!

The one you have, are the barrels BLUED, or Browned? The origenals were browned, with Case colored action, and fitted with two flip-up adjustable rear sights. Later ones were blued, and were fitted with express sights, and ballanced better! As I said most don't buy them because most know nothing about them, so overlook them intirely!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another thing, if it was like the one Mike sent me about 1989, it has a separate rear sight for each barrel. I could never find a load that would regulate under 6" at 50 yards for both barrels. The newer ones are $3800 because somebody in eye-tally regulated them with ONE rear sight. That's why the disparity in value. I wonder if you could send one back and have it regulated?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich
For what its worth the Euro and dollar are really far apart right now, I ask Pedersoli about having a set of barrels in 20 guage made for my kodiak and they said it would be 1360 Euro's that works out to be $1960 so it was not be worth it to send it back right now, they even suggested I wait until the dollar came up, but I am not holding my breath on that thumbdown. Could some one in the US that works on them could regulate it?.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About $2500 assuming very good condition.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

regulated or non?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rolland, i'm amazed no one told you to send your rifle to jj to have it regulated !!

that's the only guy they ever heard of that does that kind of work.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom
I didn't need mine regulated I wanted to get a set of 20 guage barrels. I was responding to Idaho Sharpshooter when he ask about sending it back to Pedersoli.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
rolland, i'm amazed no one told you to send your rifle to jj to have it regulated !!

that's the only guy they ever heard of that does that kind of work.

JJ will not re-regulate a Pedersoli Kodiak! Many of them were brazed rather than soldered. I've been lucky I guess, because I've never had one that didn't shoot both barrels to one sight at 100 yds. My first one (a 45-70) was regulated with 300 Federal ammo at the factory (serial No. 134) and it shot my Ruger No1 loads into a composite group of 2.5", for four shots, at 100 yds with 400 gr Speer bullets in front of 58.0 grs of IMR 3031, and showed no sign of over pressure, IN MY RIFLE! That is a medium Ruger No1 load, so I'd advise starting lower, and working up,in any other Pedersoli!

The group was fired in the order of Left, right,left,right, for four shots, Holding the rifle in my hands, with the forehand rested on top of a sand bag, and my right elbow rested on the bench top. Rifle not touching anything other than my hands, shoulder, and face! This rifle was one of the first to come from the factory,and I didn't get it till Feb 8th 1989, and was ordered when only two prototypes had been made. One for Col M. Powasnik, and the other for Phil Spangenderger. Spangenberger wrote an article in GUNS & AMMO prematurely,in the Feb 1988 issue, stateing the price would be $900 USD. The day I got the magazine in the mail, I called Mike to order one! I was told they had already found the rifle couldn't be sold for the $900 USD that Phil had quoted, but told me if I would send him a $100 deposite before March 1st 1988, he would let me have one for the $900 price! I almost broke my arm getting the credit card out to order it on the phone!

The first ones were very barrel heavy, and didn't ballance well, but mine shot perfectly,with just about any thing I shot in it. Lucky I guess! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mac
Mine has the single express sight, the receiver is case harden and the barrels are browned. it is a Pedersoli Kodiak. The fit and finish are nice. Mine regulates great with trapdoor loads up to some handloads I did of 405 grains at 1800fps. I took a nice bear with it in alaska. I have shot it a few times at Sass matches and hit the metal at 100 yards.
Dean

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
Mac
Mine has the single express sight, the receiver is case harden and the barrels are browned. it is a Pedersoli Kodiak. The fit and finish are nice. Mine regulates great with trapdoor loads up to some handloads I did of 405 grains at 1800fps. I took a nice bear with it in alaska. I have shot it a few times at Sass matches and hit the metal at 100 yards.
Dean

Tonto, you wouldn't believe how many of these rifles, I've bought for little because the owners did not understand double rifles, and the loading for them. They bouth them, and couldn't make them shoot, and thought they were riding themselves of a bad rifle. All that was needed was to know how to find a load that would shoot to the regulation!
I've seen them rechambered to just about everything that would fit in the barrels, and I have one now that is chambered for 458 RCBS, that shoots fine. I had one that was re-chambered to 450NE 3.25", and Perry had one re-chambered to 450NE #2 that he killed some game in Africa with, and the rifle now resides in Africa, still doing it's job.

The guy who was trained by Le Bounty, and bought his machines when he retired, has a jig to re-bore double barrels. The barrels are quite heavy walled on the early ones, and I'm thinking about haveing the 458 RCBS re-bored to take the 577NE 2 3/4", or the 577 Snider. That would be a fun rifle to use in the Black powder class at the ventagers! thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37
You have any idea what they charge to rebore the Kodiak?

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mine has always shot great. The problem I have is it is best for hunting whitetails for me. But where i hunt is very thick and rough. It tends to be hard on a rifle. This one is just too darn nice to beat up.
dean

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
MacD37
You have any idea what they charge to rebore the Kodiak?

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be around $1000 usd, to bore, and chamber, unless a reamer had to be bought for the cartridge you want, then you would likely add another $400 usd, for any of the large NE rounds!

I may give him a call when I find his contact number! The one I have would make a fine 577NFB 2 3/4", 500NFB Express hammer rifle! The thinner barrels would also help the ballance somewhat! bewildered BOOM

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a beautiful one in 9.3x74R, with three leaf express sights , one of the later ones. Shoots very well. Great gun for North America. I might let it go for the right price.... if there is interest.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote